Looking For An Electric Fireplace on Black Friday

dwc designs

Well on the list this year I just added one of the electric fireplaces. I'm looking to use it to replace our current entertainment center. Our current stand is one with the flat screen mount on it and I like the nice clean look. I'm going to need one of the media fireplaces large enough to house a 50" t.v.. 

I haven't really researched these in the past as I wasn't in the market but I am unsure if there are deals on these during BF or not. I did browse a few of last years ads and saw Walmart had one in their sale for $249. Since the BF sales usually have items they don't normally carry I couldn't find what the normal price was to see if it was even a big discount. Hopefully someone on the boards has either purchased one or knows a good place to look for a deal. 

Also if you already own one are there any drawbacks, like having the electronics near the heat, or brands to stay away from. 

I bought the one in the WalMart ad last year. I haven't have any trouble with the heat messing with the electronics.  It knocks the chill out of my living room and looks pretty doing it :).

I don't know the regular price for that particular one, but Big Lots carries several styles (or at least they did last year) and that one was  a good $50 - $75 cheaper than the cheapest one Big Lots had a the time.

Also, I put it together myself and didn't have too much trouble.

Hope that helps a little.

We have a small Walmart. I don't think they've ever carried fireplaces in the winter. Someone I know delivers there and said they have a ton now. I'm curious if its going to be a bf item

I hope so. They have become pretty popular now. I live in SE Pennsylvania not to far from Amish Country. There are a ton of places that sell them but the price is 3 times the cost of the one at Walmart. I'm sure it's a higher quality though. 

I bought the one in the WalMart ad last year. I haven't have any trouble with the heat messing with the electronics.  It knocks the chill out of my living room and looks pretty doing it :).

I don't know the regular price for that particular one, but Big Lots carries several styles (or at least they did last year) and that one was  a good $50 - $75 cheaper than the cheapest one Big Lots had a the time.

Also, I put it together myself and didn't have too much trouble.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the info. I have a Big Lots not to far from me. In fact that's where she got the idea that she wanted to replace the tv stand with the fireplace. The ones they had on display were more of the traditional style and sat a lot higher than the ones I'm looking for.

I don't care for the gel options.  They smell of alcohol and create a lot of moisture inside the fireplace.  

I really like the Dimplex systems.  

Mine does not crackle, but otherwise is almost indistinguishable from the real thing inside my fire screen.

Still haven't decided if I need the cracking.

Is it like a room air conditioner which has to have it's own circuit and a special 3 prong? How about the electric bill? I've been thinking about one but don't know anyone who has one.

If it pulls the juice, wouldn't the electronics and the heater trip the circuit?

• Like 1

I don't think it's that strong a heater. It's perfect for right now, because I haven't lit the pilot on the heater yet and it'll heat up the living room, but it's not something that could completely take the place of your furnace.  It does warm well enough to keep the heater from coming on, but that's not necessarily a good thing because it doesn't heat the other rooms.  I should also mention I have a very small house, so just because it'll heat my living room comfortably doesn't mean it would in a larger space.

I did not notice a difference in the electric bill last year, but like I said I'm not using it as my main heat source in my house.

Basically, it's a small space heater like you might keep in the bathroom, housed in a big pretty cabinet.

I'm not wording any of that very well, so I hope it helps some.

• Like 1