Gift ideas for teenage boys

arci122

Are they into sports, video games, or other activities? 

Depending how far into their teens, maybe start them with a tool box and some good hand tools

Accessories for a car if coming soon

Some type of guitar if they are into music

Sports equipment (soccer goals etc)

Wallet with gift cards

Cologne

• Like 1

I'm stuck on this one too. My son is 14, but has ADD and is immature for his age. He still likes Legos and Transformers, but he has so many of each of those, I don't really want to buy him more. He doesn't really do much else besides those 2 things. He's not into the cologne or scented body sprays, no hobbies or other likes. He watches movies, but super hero movies are his favorite (Ironman, Transformers, etc.) and he has all those. I'm at a loss, but will be watching this thread for ideas!

Edited by ilikefree
  • Like 1

I have a thirteen year old. He's not into sports but he loves archery and target shooting. He recently got into reading manga. A few that are appropriate for his age are fullmetal alchemist (his favorite) dragon ball z, and Naruto. He also likes to draw manga so I got him charcoal pencils and manga drawing markets from Amazon. He likes to collect Funko Pop! Figures, and loves the nightmare before Christmas. I'll also be watching this thread for ideas!!

I have a 17 year old son... there are ALWAYS newly released video games that he wants... the last 3 years have been Apple related... first an iPod, then an iPad, this year he wants an iPhone... will have to decide after the dentist bills if he is getting much of anything this year, though...

My son is almost 13.  He plays football and basketball but has about everything he needs for that.  I am not sure what to get him this year.  I do like the idea someone posted of a new wallet with gift cards in it.  He was asking for a new wallet so I think I will do that, but I don't know what else.  I was thinking about buying him a lawnmower because this past summer he was cutting grass for a lot of people by my moms house but he always had to borrow my moms lawnmower.  He always asks if he can go around our neighborhood, but we don't have a lawnmower cause we have a company that takes care of our lawn work.  Wasn't sure if that was a tacky gift though.  I am interested in others opinions on that.

He has a laptop and an ipad and iphone.  He asked for a MacBook, but I don't really want to spend that much cause I have four other kids of my own to buy for plus other family members.  I will be watching for other ideas too.

I have 2 as well.  DS14 is getting Xbox One, no clue what else, probably games and accessories for that.  Last year he got a Surface, year before laptop.  

DS17 has no ideas right now.  Last year was surface for him as well.  And they both got phones.  I will probably get him some college-ready stuff, comforter, dishes, foot locker...

I'll be watching this post as well for more ideas.

Edited by bluebear

It is hard. My ds17 (18 in Dec) will graduate in June and is going into the Navy. He pre-ordered the Xbox One so I plan on getting him a few games, I got him some clothes. I have no idea what else to get since he is "downsizing?" and won't be able to take much with him after bootcamp...
  • Like 1

I have a thirteen year old. He's not into sports but he loves archery and target shooting. He recently got into reading manga. A few that are appropriate for his age are fullmetal alchemist (his favorite) dragon ball z, and Naruto. He also likes to draw manga so I got him charcoal pencils and manga drawing markets from Amazon. He likes to collect Funko Pop! Figures, and loves the nightmare before Christmas. I'll also be watching this thread for ideas!!

Does he watch the anime also or just read the manga.  Mine did both at that age (my oldest watched in Japanese online).  We bought the Fullmetal Alchemist DVDs and they still watch them.  Also Naruto, we don't have all the DVD for that.  But a lot of others.... I like some of them myself... 

• Like 1

He read the manga first and then started watching the anime. He's trying to get me to read the manga but I'm on the last book of the harry potter series (my third time reading them) and I told him I'll start them as soon as I'm finished. I got him the death note manga set for christmas, I'm excited to read that when he finishes it. I also ordered plush versions of four characters from fullmetal alchemist from amazon. I'm hoping he likes them

I have four sons ranging in age from 22 to 14. Males in general can be hard (and boring) to shop for! My sons all have different personalities and interests but one thing they all seem to appreciate is FOOD. I always try to get them a box or at least fill their stocking with favorite snacks like sunflower seeds (different flavors), beef jerky, gum/mints,candy,Pringles,Combos,popcorn,Little Debbie snacks and drinks like Yoo Hoos,Snapple,and drink sticks. This year,I am putting flavored honey sticks in their stockings!

Depending on their interests, I give them restaurant gift cards,gas cards,body sprays,laser lights,video games,something to do with music (they all play instruments),cartoon books (especially their faves from when they were younger),clothes/items with their favorite sports teams,hunting/fishing stuff,car air fresheners and emergency roadside kits for cars,as well as practical things like nice socks,gloves,and undershirts.

My 2 oldest might be getting new bikes for going to class as they hate to drive on campus and didn't pay for a parking pass.

I always enjoy hearing what others get for their older sons!

Oh! I forgot to add that I always get them scratch off lottery tickets,if that's available where you live.

Edited by HansieDZ
  • Like 3

I'm stuck on this one too. My son is 14, but has ADD and is immature for his age. He still likes Legos and Transformers, but he has so many of each of those, I don't really want to buy him more. He doesn't really do much else besides those 2 things. He's not into the cologne or scented body sprays, no hobbies or other likes. He watches movies, but super hero movies are his favorite (Ironman, Transformers, etc.) and he has all those. I'm at a loss, but will be watching this thread for ideas!

Does he like playing Minecraft? It is mainly a computer or video game but I've seen Lego sets at Walmart. com. My 14 y.o. son is obsessed with it (well,that and chess at the moment).

He read the manga first and then started watching the anime. He's trying to get me to read the manga but I'm on the last book of the harry potter series (my third time reading them) and I told him I'll start them as soon as I'm finished. I got him the death note manga set for christmas, I'm excited to read that when he finishes it. I also ordered plush versions of four characters from fullmetal alchemist from amazon. I'm hoping he likes them

The Death Note movies are pretty good also, the live action ones...We have them and have watched them a few times... I like an anime East of Eden but the boys are a bit tired of it.... One that is rather bloody but was interesting and is only one season was Claymore.  I like it because they are women and not fluff brains. 

Has he ever played with Erector sets? http://www.erector.us

Do you think he might enjoy playing a musical instrument like a guitar or keyboard? 

Does he have any art supplies? Colored pencils, markers or paints could be fun. They wouldn't have to be expensive ones. He could start off with Crayola. This Crayola set looks like it could be fun. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-Creative-Art-Supply-70-Accessory-Set-for-Boys/17117902

I believe Walmart has a Crayola set in their BF ad too. 

My son is almost 13.  He plays football and basketball but has about everything he needs for that.  I am not sure what to get him this year.  I do like the idea someone posted of a new wallet with gift cards in it.  He was asking for a new wallet so I think I will do that, but I don't know what else.  I was thinking about buying him a lawnmower because this past summer he was cutting grass for a lot of people by my moms house but he always had to borrow my moms lawnmower.  He always asks if he can go around our neighborhood, but we don't have a lawnmower cause we have a company that takes care of our lawn work.  Wasn't sure if that was a tacky gift though.  I am interested in others opinions on that.

He has a laptop and an ipad and iphone.  He asked for a MacBook, but I don't really want to spend that much cause I have four other kids of my own to buy for plus other family members.  I will be watching for other ideas too.

Does he have a favorite football or basketball team? Are there any teams near you? Maybe you could get him some tickets and go with him to a local college basketball game. Many schools will do specials with tickets when they play a smaller school. Some schools will do tours of their facilities too. Typically not on game day. 

The lawnmower idea sounds good. He can use it from Spring until Fall and earn money for the MacBook he wants. 

• 2 weeks later...

my ds is 18 -- 3ds xl, new xbox wireless controller, rechargable aa batteries , new headset, pokemon x and y for the 3ds, gas card, jeans, north face jacket, hunting boots, camo wear.

manga 5 computer drawing program and a drawing tablet (both on sale at amazon) (but this is for DD 20), death note.

It seems like most teenage boys we know are into video games and music, and they love to eat. Some are into sports as well, others are into computers or sci-fi stuff, anime, photography, etc. Pretty much anything electronic seems to make them happy.

We have two (well, one is 17, one is 20). The 17yo wants an "old school" stereo, and I found a sony that also has a smartphone hookup, so best of both - "old fashioned" media (cd's, radio) and mp3. He also has a few XBox 360 games in mind. New controllers are always appreciated, as are Game Stop gift cards so he can go there and pick out things, and Microsoft Points so he can download stuff. He loves to meet friends at places like Starbucks, Subway, etc. so he likes gift cards to those places.  

The older one is in college, and he asked for a tablet reader so he doesn't have to carry his heavy books around. So he's getting a Kindle Paperwhite, and gift cards to buy himself some ebooks. He also wanted Cartel Coins for his online Star Wars game, so he'll get a gift card for that. He also likes to meet study groups at Starbucks and fast food places, so he likes those gift cards too.

They both have laptops, so accessories for those are usually appreciated - chill pads, wireless mice, flash drives, etc.

So, in short:

They love video games and electronics - iThis and iThat, tablets, phones, laptops, music, games, etc, along with accessories - chargers, memory cards, etc

Some love sports, so like gear related to that - sports equipment, lift tickets or passes, backpacks, water bottles, duffle bags, etc

Some like spectator sports - so things with their favorite team logos - hats, shirts, etc

They love to eat - so gift cards to food, drink & ice cream places

They like to buy stuff on their own, so money, or gift cards to electronic & game stores & food places

Have fun!

Does he like playing Minecraft? It is mainly a computer or video game but I've seen Lego sets at Walmart. com. My 14 y.o. son is obsessed with it (well,that and chess at the moment).

Everybody at our house likes Minecraft too - from DD10 up to DS20 and even DH. They're enjoying the new incarnations of it - Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc. DD saw a Minecraft phone cover the other day that she liked! I commented the other day that it is really like video game Legos in a way... one of those open-ended, timeless things that you can build with and that has wide appeal.

• 2 weeks later...