First true Black Friday shopping in Oklahoma starts Friday

marathonshopper

Well, here in Oklahoma we're just a few days away from our new Black Friday law going into effect.......   

SB 550 allows Oklahoma retailers to sell general merchandise products at any price below cost up to 15 days in a row on a specific product, up to 10 times a year. Groceries, drugs, gas, and lumber will still be subject to the law as before, but the pricing of all other products will fall under the provisions of SB 550.

SB 550 will take effect November 1, 2013, just in time for Oklahomans to enjoy their first true Black Friday sales.

.I know I'm happy that when the sales prices are posted for other states they should be what we see here too??!!  Personally I think it will be great seeing as how pretty much all the other states had considerably better deals on electronics than us for a lot of years.....  We even paid a little more most of the time for clothing, movies and video games.

Renee

• Like 2

I had not heard of this, but it is good news.  The deal with the old law was the stress of not knowing for sure what the prices would be. They could not ADVERTISE the lower price, but they could give it.  I've never actually encountered the prices being higher on Black Friday than the national ad prices (for example, at the OKC metro WalMarts on BF last year, they had signs posted at the door that said "We changed our minds" or something to that effect, and everything was at the national ad prices), but when Walmart had their Secret Saturday sales a few years ago I did run into the law and missed out on some of the better sales.

Sweet!  Now my husband and I won't have to guess how much higher everything will be priced here when the Black Friday ads are posted :)

It doesn't affect me but I would think it will bring out more competition now that people know what the ACTUAL price will be. 

The black friday ads were the same as before.  It was the secret sales and things along that line that they couldn't do.  Living just on the kansas/oklahoma border, had several people make the drive to local walmart just for the sales.  It all deals with sales tax, as to what the prices were.  Done many a days of shopping in oklahoma on black friday. 

While all other retailer ads were the same as the national ads in Ok, the Wal Mart ad was different for Tulsa residents - our prices were higher than the national ad.  I know because I emailed and complained that no one was following the law, so why was Wal-Mart. 

While all other retailer ads were the same as the national ads in Ok, the Wal Mart ad was different for Tulsa residents - our prices were higher than the national ad.  I know because I emailed and complained that no one was following the law, so why was Wal-Mart. 

The Wal Mart ads were different in the OKC area as well.  But when it came time for the sale, they went with the prices in the national ad.  The law said they couldn't ADVERTISE at the lower prices, but they could still SELL at the lower prices.  I don't know why they wouldn't do that with the Saturday sales though.

Gatorburg,       

We do have weekly food ads here, so we're not QUITE that outdated in Oklahoma, just on some things!!  But you did give me a good laugh!!!

As for the black Friday ads being the same, some stores may have been the same price no matter what state you were in...but I always save the PDF's of the ads to my computer so I can show my mom what's supposed to be in the sales, and I know that a lot of the things in the Walmart ad in particular were higher here when we compared the paper ad when we got it in the mail.  Like I said before, it was mostly electronics, but there were also higher prices on some video games, movies, appliances and clothing.  Clothing was generally only a dollar or two more here, but TV's and computers were the biggest price difference ............  I know for a fact that last year I bought a video game that was $10 higher here than in the Walmart ad for other states and the jeans I bought were $2 more here.  In the last couple of years there have been a few items from the Walmart ad that when you actually got in the store were marked less than the advertised price, but not always as low as the national price.   And several years ago during one of the Saturday sales there was a laptop advertised on the internet for the in store sale and when I got to our store I found out they were like $120 more here in Oklahoma than elsewhere.....there were a lot of people in the store that morning for the laptop and tv that were on sale that were VERY unhappy!!!!

At least this year I should be able to plan for shopping a little better since the prices I see on here should be what I see in Oklahoma too.. no waiting for the paper ads to arrive to see what Oklahoma gets to pay!!!

• Like 1