How do you feel about shopping on Thanksgiving?

sbwolfer

I invite some of you to consider that change and move your celebrations to Saturday. This works for us, even though we still find the time (every other year or so 2010/2012) to prepare thanksgiving meals on Thursday and transport them to the line at Best Buy for a friends and family feast.

I agree that Thanksgiving doesn't have to be celebrated on Thursday, but it's hard to coordinate a change like that when dinner is aunts and uncles and cousins and their in laws and every lost soul in town and on and on and on. They don't want to change Thanksgiving for those of us that are avid BFers :)

You are absolutely right though, that this is the way it's going to be and we can adapt or get left behind (you didn't say exactly that, but...). We'll Grinch about it for a few more years though before we decide to embrace it. :yuck:

• Like 1

Thanksgiving was never a holiday off for most retailers.

I worked at WalMart for 2 years before "black friday" and the only day closed (we were a supercenter) was christmas day

Money talks BS walks, so I guess they have found most people will go out (sure seems like it in my town) so I sure am gonna get mine!

also we always do Tgiving at lunch time, not late, so its never really an issue with us.

It makes me wonder if fights will become more of an issue due to people being up all day with no nap and then shopping all night with still no rest, which will cause more people to be cranky and irritable. Every year I end up bumping someone or someone bumps me by accident and I always apologize and they have to, but when will it happen that I my purse bumps someone and they go off b/c they are so tired and ill? That just might be a breaking point for me if that does happen. It may sound far fetched, but I do believe that fights will become more common due to this.
  • Like 2

Orangedaisy,

First I want to say thank you and that I DO appreciate you working on the holidays. As the mom of a child who has spent Thanksgiving AND Christmas in the hospital, I truly respect and appreciate the doctors and nurses who worked those shifts. I feel the same about those who are committed to our safety (fire, police, etc.).

The rest is not all addressed to you personally, the following are my personal views on the whole topic:

With that being said, those are ESSENTIAL services! We are talking about shopping; a total non-essential activity. Many of those retail employees are not able to find other employment (I have friends who were 'downsized' from their careers and have been unemployed for years). I worked at one of the big retailers a few years ago; we signed a contract that stated we would be available for any and all shifts assigned to us beginning with Black Friday. If you did not show up for your shift, you were fired. If you asked for it off, you were most likely fired (depends on what manager you asked, some would not fire you, but would then schedule you for 12 hours on the day you wanted off).

I am truly saddened for our society that does not treasure family time like they used to. I am glad that many of you have flexible schedules and family members that will allow you to go out if you like (I still don't like that others have to work it though). However, some families are not as flexible.

I will also add that I went out last year; not at the start, I headed out after midnight...just to see...I was shocked at how many exhausted people were out! I mean screaming babies, people who had obviously been up for hours...many of whom had obviously been drinking...and not to mention the herds of teenagers with no respect for little old ladies...

This will be the first year that I attempt to do online shopping because I truly am NOT going out on Thanksgiving.

Unfortunatly it is not just essential people having to work.  I work in health insurance.  The government requires that we are open 8-8 7 days a week during open enrollment for Medicare plans.  This begins in October and lasts through mid March.  This includes all holidays in that time, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.  I am sorry but I don't consider health insurance something that needs to be available on these holidays but just shows that more and more businesses are having to work at a time that use to be for family time. 

• Like 1

I will NOT shop on Thanksgiving. I love it when people say... " They signed up for it, they choose to work retail and that's part of the job. They should find another job if they don't like it." AHHH life is so simple. Just QUIT your job and find another one in a struggling economy. I love this attitude.

I hate to break the news here, but companies do have a culture built within their structure/policies. They can choose to take care of their employees or not.  Do they choose to value ONLY the almighty dollar?  Or... do they choose to value BOTH the almighty dollar and those who bust their butts to earn it for them?  It's a simple choice that is a reflection of that particular company.  We have that same choice... Do we value only the savings, or do we value what family means to us and to those/others working on Thanksgiving. There are many ways to make a buck... Just as there are many ways to save a buck. You can vote with both your wallet and voice.

COSTCO... Do you know this company is closed on all major holidays?  Also.. did you know they close their doors at 6pm every Saturday and Sunday? They have been doing this since day one of their existance.  Why.. you ask.  BECAUSE THEY VALUE THE IMPORTANCE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES and THEIR FAMILIES.  Part of their business culture is taking care of those who take care of them... their employees. They are currently rated as they #1 retailer (Consumer Reports) in the country and their stock is at an all time high. Hmmm... Staying closed on major holidays seems to be working out just fine for them.

One more thing to keep in mind. When a store opens at say 8pm on Thanksgiving, employees don't just show up at 7:30pm to start the day. There are those who report to work many hours earlier to merchandise / stock the store before the doors open. So.. opening at 8pm actually means many employees will be starting their shifts at say... 2 or 3 pm Thanksgiving day.  That doesn't count the time spent, perhaps and hour or two, getting ready for and driving to work. Sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate a holiday. Or... an even better idea would be, as stated above, is to just QUIT.  You deserve it.. You signed up for it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone

Edited by babyfishmouth
  • Like 4

I don't like it either.  Our Thanksgiving doesn't usually start until 5 p.m. or so, we most times we're not done eating until around 8 p.m.  I'm not going to rush through that to get a sale.  I miss the days of  getting up at 3 a.m. and standing in line to spend the FRIDAY shopping.  That was what was so fun about it.  Just like most other things, retailers have ruined the season, missing the point and following the almighty dollar.  While I see protests about it on FB or online, it won't matter.  There are others who will go out and get the deals, and retailers will continue to offer this "bonus" shopping time to us.  It's pretty ridiculous.

I will plan to head out later, around midnight, when the first batch of shoppers are already at home.  We missed most of the rushes last year doing this, and still got everything on our list.  With mobile devices, I supplemented what I couldn't find in store by ordering it online.  No problems whatsoever. Plus, living in Wisconsin, it will likely be ridiculously cold at that time, and then I don't have to spend time outside in line. 

I'm not sure if/when this trend of opening earlier and earlier will stop.  As long as someone is there trying to shop, they'll continue to be open.

• Like 2

For me personally it really doesn't matter but I know many that will just not bother. For the diehard black Friday shoppers, many of us are on line at the stores long before Thanksgiving and just sit on line all day waiting for them to open their doors. I do not agree with the idea of them opening on Thanksgiving but as a diehard black Friday shopper I will be sitting in front of the store if it's not open or in the store if it is open.

• Like 1

I do not like the idea of the stores opening on Thursdays either. Our family dinner is at my house traditionally around 5 since I have other obligations early that morning through early afternoon. I refuse to rush the meal with my extended family in order to go shopping. I agree with the other posters regarding how sad it is that retail employees are no longer able to spend time with their families due to the fact they have to be at work earlier and earlier on holidays. It seems every year at Thanksgiving we are spending time remembering our loved one(s) that shared the meal with us the year before that are no longer with us... It's a special time for my family (many that travel great distances) and no sale will ever compete with those memories.

Edited by KrisinTn
  • Like 1

Personally, I don't like it, and my reasons are all selfish.  Starting Thursday night brings out a different class of people for one thing - I never saw the fights and stuff that I've always heard about until the shoppers got to start "staying up" instead of "getting up". I think the troublemakers are less inclined to get up to hit the early bird specials.  Also, If I have to start on Thursday night, I'm WAY too tired to enjoy shopping all day on Friday. 2 years ago I caught myself wanting to nod off at the wheel, and promptly went home and went to bed. It wasn't even 9:00am. Napping on Thursday afternoon isn't an option because we have dinner, then going thru the ads, making the plan, etc (GD helps oh so much, but the paper ads are part of the tradition). It sounds funny to say this, but there's just not enough time to get it all done when they start earlier.

Yay BoPeep, this has been my thought since I went to give my son a chair at a 24 hour WalMart when he was waiting for a TV that would be onsale at 5 am.  The people I saw were a lot ruder than the ones I met at 4 am the next morning.

• Like 2

Thanksgiving was never a holiday off for most retailers.

I worked at WalMart for 2 years before "black friday" and the only day closed (we were a supercenter) was christmas day

Money talks BS walks, so I guess they have found most people will go out (sure seems like it in my town) so I sure am gonna get mine!

also we always do Tgiving at lunch time, not late, so its never really an issue with us.

The first Walmart Supercenter opened in Washington, Mo., combining general merchandise and a full-scale supermarket to provide one-stop shopping convenience.

The term “Black Friday” was coined in the 1960s to mark the kickoff to the Christmas shopping season. “Black” refers to stores moving from the “red” to the “black,” back when accounting records were kept by hand, and red ink indicated a loss, and black a profit. Ever since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the Friday after Thanksgiving has been known as the unofficial start to a bustling holiday season.

If you were at a Supercenter, you were there on a Black Friday.  You may just not have been aware of it.

• Like 2

While I agree that Thanksgiving (as well as Christmas) is for family, I work as a nurse and as you know, hospitals are open 24/7...we have holiday commitments that we have to make. Who feels sorry for us when we are working Thanksgiving day? Or night shift the night before or the night of? Christmas Eve or morning?  I don't feel sorry for myself because it's what I signed up for, but the same goes for the employees who choose to stay employed at a retail store who starts opening on Thanksgiving, if they don't want to do it they can choose another job. Or find someone who doesn't care about working the holiday to work for them if they're not scheduled. I do think it sucks that they are doing this, but I don't necessarily feel sorry for those working on the holiday - hopefully they will get extra pay for it like time and a half. 

But I always feel sad for my friends that work in areas that can't shut down, nurses, firemen, policemen etc.  My brother used to be with the sherrifs dept and he would volunteer for Christmas morning as he had friends with small children and he was single.  He usually worked part of every Thanksgiving, etc also for similar reasons.  Even when his seniority would have kept him from it.  I worked retail and watched them take away almost all the days.... Easter the first year my store made 104.99 the whole day.  Someone bought an Atari 2600 no games, nothing else.  And there were 6 lookers all day.  But the mall insisted we open.  Now the days mean nothing to the retailers....The only shopping I will do is online should I scrounge some coin for something or a early morning run if I forgot something important like food for lunch....NOT 

I've worked retail so I can see both sides. There are employees who aren't happy about working holidays but don't have a choice. Others choose to work, glad for the extra hours. Yet others may volunteer for Thanksgiving/BF just to see how many people make complete fools of themselves during the insane chaos. Personally I've always volunteered to work Thanksgiving/BF because I would get extra pay and have enjoyed helping people who choose to venture out early get their holiday season off to a great start.

As for my holidays, it's just me, DH and our two kids - no friends or family around us (too far away). We spend time together over a casual meal - I don't cook a whole turkey or big feast now, usually try to dine out or pre-purchase something - giving thanks for what we have and praying for those who might be in need. It's a simple day for us, and if there are places open we might be interested in going to then we will go. Likewise if everything was closed up we wouldn't have a problem with that but choose instead to stay at home or go out just for a drive or trip to a park.

We are a melting pot of different cultures and with that comes different traditions. Not everyone will celebrate every holiday or do so in the "traditional" way. Would or do I go shopping on Thanksgiving? Yes, but not much (and I make sure to let those who are working they are appreciated) if at all. Would it bother me if everything were closed? Not a bit. My shopping theory is if it is meant for me then it will be on the shelf when I get there. If more people shared this theory the start of the holiday shopping season might be much more enjoyable and just maybe (though not likely) stores would be likely to push back their opening times.

• Like 3

The first Walmart Supercenter opened in Washington, Mo., combining general merchandise and a full-scale supermarket to provide one-stop shopping convenience.

The term “Black Friday” was coined in the 1960s to mark the kickoff to the Christmas shopping season. “Black” refers to stores moving from the “red” to the “black,” back when accounting records were kept by hand, and red ink indicated a loss, and black a profit. Ever since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the Friday after Thanksgiving has been known as the unofficial start to a bustling holiday season.

If you were at a Supercenter, you were there on a Black Friday.  You may just not have been aware of it.

Right, I was saying, I worked at the supercenter and we were always open on the day after Thanksgiving....and that was back in the 90's. So, the discussion was saying that people hate retail workers not being able to celebrate Tgiving with family. I was pointing out that with WalMart, they were never closed on the day after Thanksgiving (at least the Super Centers) so that is not a valid argument. Sorry if you misunderstood my post.

Trust me, I was aware of it!

Edited by LCPanther1975

Im gonna comment again here, just found out today that my son (works in Sears) has to work on Thanksgiving and on BF.I told his boss either change his schedule or he will quit.lol.My ds is 17 and i will nt allow him to miss family time nor will i allow him to get yelled at by some angry customer who missed out on the free doorbuster and is mad as hell because they havent slept in days. :sidesplit

• Like 1

Well I work retail but I work in grocery, not the Walmart supercenter type.  I don't know how that works, but we volunteer for shifts and there are some people that wait all year for the holidays for extra money.  You would be surprised at how many people we help who have burned their dinner, ended up with extra guests, or are alone and just need someone to talk to for a little while.  Makes up for the mean people that come in and talk to us like we are stupid for having the job we do.

• Like 2

Right, I was saying, I worked at the supercenter and we were always open on the day after Thanksgiving....and that was back in the 90's. So, the discussion was saying that people hate retail workers not being able to celebrate Tgiving with family. I was pointing out that with WalMart, they were never closed on the day after Thanksgiving (at least the Super Centers) so that is not a valid argument. Sorry if you misunderstood my post.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I thought you were saying that BF didn't exist in the 90s.  I remember getting in a car wreck at 5:30 am and continuing onto Fred Meyers for my first BF in 1987.

No one is saying that opening up for BF is hurting people's family time.  It is the openings that are growing earlier and earlier each year.  When I started going out, 6 am was considered opening early.  Then we moved to 4 am, midnight, and now 8pm for a larger and larger number of stores.

Edited by Iliveforblckfri

Im gonna comment again here, just found out today that my son (works in Sears) has to work on Thanksgiving and on BF.I told his boss either change his schedule or he will quit.lol.My ds is 17 and i will nt allow him to miss family time nor will i allow him to get yelled at by some angry customer who missed out on the free doorbuster and is mad as hell because they havent slept in days. :sidesplit

Good for you! I don't blame you one bit.

Jenn

• Like 1

Luckily here in MA there are blue laws. Stores cannot open on Thanksgiving, unless they are a pharmacy I believe. Stores can apply for a permit to open early, but I do not know of any here in Western MA that have been succesful in doing so. So, it's usually 1am openings at the earliest here. Walmart was 4am last BF.

As someone who has worked holidays ( all except for Christmas) it really isn't that bad. I worked on Thanksgiving last year and we were given a thanksgiving catered feast. After work I was able to spend time with my family and eat at home. I worked for a bank inside Walmart and we were never closed because of Walmart. I got to know a lot of people at this particular store and most of the people that worked were their seasonal help or people that volunteered. I know this isn't true everywhere but most of the people there really didn't mind. The one's who did generally found someone to switch the shifts. Retail shifts are not great, and you know that there is a possibility that you will have to work a holiday. It sucks but it's not all that bad.

Actually in my comment if I said BF I didn't mean that I was referring to making them work ON Thanksgiving, I understand many people have to Nurses, Police, Firefighters and the like and I owe them a great debt of gratitude for it but to me the retail thing is nothing more than a money grab. More stores are doing it because some made more money last year and the large majority of people didn't yell and scream about it. Personally I don't like it and the only way I show my displeasure is with my wallet and not spending it on that day. Now BF itself ya I'm all in all day. :)

• Like 2

I don't really care for it, but if the stores are going to start their sales on Thanksgiving then I will be there unless I manage to get some of my stuff on my list early at Black Friday prices.  Money is extremely tight this year so I am depending on BF sales to allow me to make my budget go farther and be able to get the number one item on each of my kids' lists and maybe a few extras.

We live close to our family and see them pretty much every week though, so that does make a difference.

While I agree that Thanksgiving (as well as Christmas) is for family, I work as a nurse and as you know, hospitals are open 24/7...we have holiday commitments that we have to make. Who feels sorry for us when we are working Thanksgiving day? Or night shift the night before or the night of? Christmas Eve or morning?  I don't feel sorry for myself because it's what I signed up for, but the same goes for the employees who choose to stay employed at a retail store who starts opening on Thanksgiving, if they don't want to do it they can choose another job. Or find someone who doesn't care about working the holiday to work for them if they're not scheduled. I do think it sucks that they are doing this, but I don't necessarily feel sorry for those working on the holiday - hopefully they will get extra pay for it like time and a half. 

You are so right. I was a LEO for 36 years and unless I was able to schedule vacation at Christmas I worked it and so did my hubby. We would do our Christmas either on our days off or when we got off work.  When our children were young we would make an effort to have one of us home on that day. Thanksgiving night store openings will lead to Thanksgiving Day openings.

Hate it because I have to find a cheap laptop this year and refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving which mean i'll be navigating the nightmare that is online shopping and likely Best Buy (the worst of them all for online BF shopping) since they normally wind up with the best laptop deals. Im just praying at this point that Walmart or Office Depot have a good deal on one because they in my BF experience are pretty easy to navigate that day. Either that or that my fav black friday store Amazon has a good lightening deal on one that would make my black friday if that happened.

Actually in my comment if I said BF I didn't mean that I was referring to making them work ON Thanksgiving, I understand many people have to Nurses, Police, Firefighters and the like and I owe them a great debt of gratitude for it but to me the retail thing is nothing more than a money grab. More stores are doing it because some made more money last year and the large majority of people didn't yell and scream about it. Personally I don't like it and the only way I show my displeasure is with my wallet and not spending it on that day. Now BF itself ya I'm all in all day. :)

Sorry, I should have said that WalMart was never closed on Thanksgiving either. Or McDonalds for that matter. I worked at both and then went to work at a hospital as a registration clerk and had to work all holidays then! LOL Then I got smart and got a M-F 9 to 5 and am off holidays (and most of the time the day before or after if it falls on a weekday). I know it makes it hard, but in a way, working on those days are like paying dues. My daughter is a teen and works at McD's and has had to work all holidays, but she will make it.  I don't mean to sound hard hearted, but it's almost BECAUSE of people that love BF so much that this has become so big. Of course retailers are going to try to get our money first, and that means opening earlier and earlier.....unfortunately, that is what has become the norm.

• Like 1

My wife is a nurse and I used to work in retail.  I feel sorry for the employees that are forced to work, but the "FEELING" of Thanksgiving can be on any day.  After all, the actual DAY changes each year!  When I was in retail, I jumped at the chance to work on a holiday.  It meant time and a half and usually an extra 8 hours of pay that we could either take off or just have added to our checks.  As retail does not pay very much, I always took what extra I could.  It meant I could give my son a larger Christmas than I would have otherwise.  Some of the employees have selected that as their career.  They know that they will be required to work on many of the holidays. 

I will be out shopping on Thanksgiving.  Even though it means larger crowds, I end up more rested on Friday.   I am switching to more online shopping as the crowds are filling the lines at checkout and making store-to-store transitions longer.  I pick up what I can online and then head out with a short list for the fun.

For everyone who refuse to shop on Thanksgiving, here is a scenario for you:

Do you feel bad for the employees of the firework vendors that stay open and work long hours on July 4 and New Years Eve?  What about the liquor store employees on New Years Eve?  Don't you think that they would enjoy going to the parties also?  With your logic, perhaps we should not have fireworks on July 4 and avoid parties on New Years Eve!

• Like 1

For me personally it really doesn't matter but I know many that will just not bother. For the diehard black Friday shoppers, many of us are on line at the stores long before Thanksgiving and just sit on line all day waiting for them to open their doors. I do not agree with the idea of them opening on Thanksgiving but as a diehard black Friday shopper I will be sitting in front of the store if it's not open or in the store if it is open.

We have the friendliest people here and although many on other BF sites do not say it, it is obvious in their chosen words to flirt with the idea that the campers are somehow to blame for this sudden shift in shopping hours. Our willingness to shun traditional dinner with cousin Meg, or uncle Paul only stiffens their resolve to place us literally at the scene of the crime, due to our location itself being the evidence against us.

I, for one, started out trying to please everybody. Thursday just did not work anymore, as the relatives would lie around the house, refusing to leave at a decent hour in order for us to get out to the line on time. I remember when 4PM on Thursday was good to go. then it was 8 AM. The next time was The day prior. We tried every possible way to please the family. One year we finally had enough when a certain relative showed up sick, after coming in from a dialysis appointment. If you have ever been through this type of treatment, you should not be dropped off at a relative's door running a temperature and expecting to be fed a feast! Needless to say, our relative ruined the day for everyone, and had to be taken away by ambulance. My wife and half of the family spent the rest of that day in the emergency room/hospital. The next year, I held dinners on Saturday, and it was a move that I have never regretted. Lie around the house. Spend the night. Marvel at the new BF electronics. Eat until you can't move, just come happy and healthy is all we ask of anyone. We still find time to do Thanksgiving dinners at Best Buy from time to time. I have a Youtube (Ray McCarty)channel set up where you can view our videos. One video shows last years Thanksgiving meal on the line.