How do you feel about shopping on Thanksgiving?

sbwolfer

Many stores are now opening Thanksgiving evening. How do you feel about that?

I've seen people protesting it on FB and in news articles online. If a store is opening at 8 p.m. Thursday night will you be there waiting in line prior to that?

It's kind of ruining the experience for me. I love Thanksgiving and I enjoy that time with my family. I also love Black Friday shopping. I didn't mind spending the day with my family and then head out around 10 p.m. to get in line(although I preferred the days where I could head out around 3 a.m.). But I don't want to have to head out at 5 or 6 pm to get in line. I'm not going to do it. I'm sure it'll mean that I'll miss out on some stuff but so be it. I hope that there's enough backlash against it that soon things will swing back to later opening times.

I don't mind if stores go live with their ad online on Thanksgiving. I actually like that. I can easily shop from home while I wait for dinner to cook or while we watch the parade on TV. But I'm not going to go out shopping in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like 3

Hate it!!  Black Friday should start on Friday, not Thursday.  Let the employees have a day!!  I enjoy the online shopping, but I just think that having the sales start earlier and earlier is wrong in so many ways.  In a few years Thanksgiving will be like any other day as stores will keep pushing the envelope on opening times.  Just makes me sad.

• Like 5

I am against it. I need that couple of hours of sleep before I am out for 10-14 hours. I also believe that the employees need the time with their families. It should not be a rush experience but an enjoyable one. Family is at the heart of the season. Stripping it away will diminish the very essence of the holiday. Service starts at home and if they are not in a good mood it spells disaster for everyone else.

• Like 4

I've said it a million times on here, I hate it! I feel terrible for the employees that do not have a choice. Just because we CAN do something, does not mean we SHOULD do something. I can't think of one thing in this world that is more important than spending time with my family. I know a lot of people don't mind it because it fits their schedule but my issue is that it is a national holiday and just because someone might not celebrate in the same way as others then it does not make it right to make employees have no choice. Online shopping can be for those who have free time during that day. Allow everyone to enjoy their holiday , then let the sale shopping begin. Whether it starts at 8pm or 5am Friday , it is the SAME sale! Each year it gets earlier, first it was midnight, then 10 pm, now 8pm, next year it will be 6pm, then the following year 4pm, before you know it they will be opening Thanksgiving day at noon. It is a VERY slippery slope and everyone keeps buying into it....Very sad....

I will be going out at my normal time and Im sure I will still get almost everything I wanted. Last year I shopped online and didnt go out until 5 am Friday morning and I still got everything I wanted accept for a few small things...

• Like 4

When this started 2 years ago I told everyone on the webcast that Thanksgiving is canceled.  Everyone laughed. 

If you think about it a lot of holidays are gone and has lost their true meaning. 

Presidents Day and MLK Day are all about sales

Memoral Day is all about the lake, beach, beer and BBQ.  Most people dont know you fly your flag at half staff until Noon.

4th of July and Labor Day is all about the lake, fireworks, beach, bbq

We have Veterans Day coming up.  Watch the newspapers for sales and more sales. 

I dont want to start a fight on here about politics or anything like that.  I just wanted to point out what has happened to our holidays.

• Like 6

I've to had said this many times, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!!  I agree that its not fair for all the employees that have to work.  Especially those that had to prepare, cook and clean up for Thanksgiving.  Those that atleast get to relax on Thanksgiving and get in a good few hours nap may not be as exhausted if they have to work that night.  Not that it makes it right for them having to do that just so they can go into work at 8pm and work til 4am.  Its just not right. 

I don't see any problems with shopping online on Thanksgiving b/c your at home and you can put your laptop down and spend time with family but I just feel so bad for those employees who have to work on Turkey Day!

• Like 1

I, too, feel sorry for the employees that do not get the option to take Thanksgiving off. On the other hand, this will be nice for my family. Several of us prepare dinner together and while the balance of the family cleans up, we scour the ads and plan a strategy. Then it is a waiting game until the wee hours before we head out, hoping we can make it without any problems. Once coming back from shopping, the cooking starts again as we have a big crowd, and the relaxation is out the window. This year, we will be able to hit the stores we all love and still be home and in bed to get a great night's sleep before starting all over. Last year, I didn't plan on going out at all, but the "older" generation decided they wanted to give it a try after thinking I was crazy all of these years.... What a shock it was! This year, I have already been put on notice to be ready. They loved the time we got to spend together and the deals were an added bonus.

I hate it as well.  2 years ago I went out on Thanksgiving night to TRU when they opened at 10PM.  I'll never do that again, and don't even feel like I saved that much more than I would have if I would have gone at 5AM the next morning.  I feel bad for the employees that don't get to spend time with their families, and I certainly don't want to miss out on time with my own. The sales can wait until I'm good and ready to get there at 5AM the next morning!  ;) 

• Like 1

While I agree that Thanksgiving (as well as Christmas) is for family, I work as a nurse and as you know, hospitals are open 24/7...we have holiday commitments that we have to make. Who feels sorry for us when we are working Thanksgiving day? Or night shift the night before or the night of? Christmas Eve or morning?  I don't feel sorry for myself because it's what I signed up for, but the same goes for the employees who choose to stay employed at a retail store who starts opening on Thanksgiving, if they don't want to do it they can choose another job. Or find someone who doesn't care about working the holiday to work for them if they're not scheduled. I do think it sucks that they are doing this, but I don't necessarily feel sorry for those working on the holiday - hopefully they will get extra pay for it like time and a half. 

• Like 5

I hate it too. I will not get in line prior to the 8 pm opening times. We host dinner and do not eat until 4-5 so once dinner/dessert is done, the guests have either left or have settled in for the night, everything is cleaned up from dinner and my kids are sound a sleep only then will I head out. Last year I didn't leave my house until after 10 pm we only went to a few stores. I was home by 1 am and didn't spend anywheres close to what I used to spend when the sales started at 5 am. 

I am assuming the same will be true for this year. Not heading out until after 10 pm, only going to a few store stores and not spending a lot. I already have several gifts bought and plan on buying several more prior to BF.

Up until 3 - 4 years ago we used to head out at 4 am and not get home until 3 - 5 pm that afternoon. I miss those BFs. 

• Like 1

While I agree that Thanksgiving (as well as Christmas) is for family, I work as a nurse and as you know, hospitals are open 24/7...we have holiday commitments that we have to make. Who feels sorry for us when we are working Thanksgiving day? Or night shift the night before or the night of? Christmas Eve or morning?  I don't feel sorry for myself because it's what I signed up for, but the same goes for the employees who choose to stay employed at a retail store who starts opening on Thanksgiving, if they don't want to do it they can choose another job. Or find someone who doesn't care about working the holiday to work for them if they're not scheduled. I do think it sucks that they are doing this, but I don't necessarily feel sorry for those working on the holiday - hopefully they will get extra pay for it like time and a half. 

There is a difference between a job that you know you will be working those types of hours. My dh used to be a chef but changed careers due to hours on weekends/holidays. You know what you are signing up for. Working retail was never assumed that you would be working holidays. A nurse is a necessity to have 24/7 and I thank you for doing that career but a retail store being open 24/7 is not something that is needed..just something that our greed is asking for....

• Like 3

I wish the opening times we also 4 am  on Friday. I am trying to get as many deals now as I can so I won't need as much on BF. I will probably be out at some time but it depends on the sales and what the family is doing. Most of us head out at some point. 

• Like 1

I flat out refuse to go out shopping on Thanksgiving. There are so few days where I can be with my family the entire day that I will not give it up. I still go out at MY normal BF shopping time at 4 am and get most of what I want and I'm not changing. Whatever I don't find that day I will eventually get at another sale. But I won't get another holiday with my family for another month and then it's rushed thru because we have to split the day between families. Thanksgiving is for my family and that is how I intend to keep it.
  • Like 1

I would like the midnight starts, then you can shop while they're all sleeping.  My family knows we have to eat at lunch time, take naps, and then I'm gone.  My ds goes with his grandfather to 'manly' stores at 4 am and has a blast!!  He is my future partner in training.  For now, it's a tradition with my mom and friend so I am still spending time with family.

I hate it and will not shop on Thursday.Its  time for family.I dont mind going out late that night but many years ago stores were nt open until Friday at like 3 or 4 am.Wish it was still that way.Soon their will be no thanksgiving.No deal is worth it to me to miss that time with my kids.Sorry.

• Like 2

I don't have time to shop on Thanksgiving! I'm cooking for 20-25 people and entertaining them. They never leave. I would like it if my husband and BILs would go out and do some shopping instead of leaving all of it for the women to do, but they don't want to shop when they could be eating and drinking.

• Like 1

I don't like it!  :(  I will shop when I shop this year and I guess I'll get what I get.  I'm going to try and do more online shopping anyway this time around.  

Now I'm fine with the idea of online shopping deals available on Thanksgiving Day - that seems a reasonable compromise.  But there are still web site support staff aren't there?  Not sure.  But I suppose it could be one of those rare times to be thankful for a help staff stationed overseas - it won't be a holiday for them.  lol

I'm not a fan of it.  I don't want to negotiate time with my family because of shopping time.  I do want and need to take advantage of sales where I can to stretch my dollar, but not at the expense of my family time.  I do go out Thanksgiving evening, but I won't go early to get in line and wait.  I know I'll miss out on things, but I'll find other things.  I love the deals, but feel bad for those who have to work.  The stores are in the hole, and tempt us with great deals to get themselves in the black.  Family is the last thing from their minds. 

Not a new opinion here, but definitely shared.

I've shared this last year... We live close enough to all of our family and friends that it's really not a special day for us.  We get together often anyway. I do like having the sales the night before so that I am already up.  It ends up being an event for us and our friends. We hang out in Walmart for several hours and the teenagers get a kick out of the whole ordeal.  Just depends on the individual.

• Like 2

I feel bad for those who do not or will not change their shopping habits. Old traditions are hard to break. Those that stick to old traditions also seem very quick to jump on those who embrace change and the opportunities that it offers them. I wish the times had stayed the same so their would not be such discord. We are generally congenial group here and I hope that the emotions will not get in the way. Some of you will find other ways to shop, like online sales. Others will get someone to score deals for them. Eventually, most of you will forget this bump in the road over time and realize that time with your family can be what you make it and when you make it, not just some mystical day that the Government says you have off.

Being from a Military background, adjusting to adversity is a way of life. Often, a holiday was subject to change or skipped altogether. Our reunions were the holidays and weekends became precious. I invite some of you to consider that change and move your celebrations to Saturday. This works for us, even though we still find the time (every other year or so 2010/2012) to prepare thanksgiving meals on Thursday and transport them to the line at Best Buy for a friends and family feast.

Personally, I don't like it, and my reasons are all selfish.  Starting Thursday night brings out a different class of people for one thing - I never saw the fights and stuff that I've always heard about until the shoppers got to start "staying up" instead of "getting up". I think the troublemakers are less inclined to get up to hit the early bird specials.  Also, If I have to start on Thursday night, I'm WAY too tired to enjoy shopping all day on Friday. 2 years ago I caught myself wanting to nod off at the wheel, and promptly went home and went to bed. It wasn't even 9:00am. Napping on Thursday afternoon isn't an option because we have dinner, then going thru the ads, making the plan, etc (GD helps oh so much, but the paper ads are part of the tradition). It sounds funny to say this, but there's just not enough time to get it all done when they start earlier.

• Like 2

Orangedaisy,

First I want to say thank you and that I DO appreciate you working on the holidays. As the mom of a child who has spent Thanksgiving AND Christmas in the hospital, I truly respect and appreciate the doctors and nurses who worked those shifts. I feel the same about those who are committed to our safety (fire, police, etc.).

The rest is not all addressed to you personally, the following are my personal views on the whole topic:

With that being said, those are ESSENTIAL services! We are talking about shopping; a total non-essential activity. Many of those retail employees are not able to find other employment (I have friends who were 'downsized' from their careers and have been unemployed for years). I worked at one of the big retailers a few years ago; we signed a contract that stated we would be available for any and all shifts assigned to us beginning with Black Friday. If you did not show up for your shift, you were fired. If you asked for it off, you were most likely fired (depends on what manager you asked, some would not fire you, but would then schedule you for 12 hours on the day you wanted off).

I am truly saddened for our society that does not treasure family time like they used to. I am glad that many of you have flexible schedules and family members that will allow you to go out if you like (I still don't like that others have to work it though). However, some families are not as flexible.

I will also add that I went out last year; not at the start, I headed out after midnight...just to see...I was shocked at how many exhausted people were out! I mean screaming babies, people who had obviously been up for hours...many of whom had obviously been drinking...and not to mention the herds of teenagers with no respect for little old ladies...

This will be the first year that I attempt to do online shopping because I truly am NOT going out on Thanksgiving.

• Like 3

We have not in the past and will not be shopping on Thanksgiving going forward. I have NOTHING against the camping out or anything like that (though we choose to stay home and leave at like 12-1AM) but making all these people work on this day is a very sad commentary on life nowadays to me. I'm ALMOST of with the midnight ones but I will never get doorbusters from them again but the ones opening on Thanksgiving and some even worse at 8PM or earlier is nothing but a money grab to me.

I shall step down off my soapbox now - NEXT UP