Contract up on cell phone on Halloween...wait for Black Friday or not?

cab0ad

My cell phone contract is up this year on halloween and we are looking forward to changing our provider from TMobile to Verizon.  I looked up the past black Friday ads to see if Verizon has any deals but I didn't see any black friday ads at all for them.  Our phone coverage with tmobile is really bad and we cannot wait to change over...  Is it worth waiting another month to see if there are any deals that come out for black friday for new phone contracts?  Do they usually have any discounts for new contracts on BF?  Better phone prices?  anything?  Or just go ahead and change over on halloween?

Not sure about Verizon stores as such but I think several other stores had good discounts for new/contract renewals. Might be time consuming though if you have other things to get.

P.S. If you get your phone from any store other than the carrier directly then you're locked into a contract with them too usually. A coworker just wound up something like $1000 out of pocket because she swapped carriers while still within her contract and then didn't like the new service so switched to something else. She was not best pleased.

Edited by tinkrbel

Not wanting an iPhone. Looking at the galaxy 4. I didn't think contracts would be discounted but I was hoping to snag the phone for free when signing a new contract. The phone is running $150-200 with new contract right now depending on various promotions.

Not wanting an iPhone. Looking at the galaxy 4. I didn't think contracts would be discounted but I was hoping to snag the phone for free when signing a new contract. The phone is running $150-200 with new contract right now depending on various promotions.

Ok I found it.  Last year they had a Droid RAZR for free, and everyone was extremely disappointed.  It wasn't even a new phone, and everyone was hoping the G3 (last year) would be available at a reduced price or free. 

Yes, Sam's Club for the past two years has had 0.97 cent phones, an Iphone of some type and a Android phone.

That is what I am waiting for! My dh got the Galaxy 3 last year, I  hope they have the 4 for me this year!!!!

And me..I think I'm going for full smart phone and the 4 takes amazing pictures

I've had my 4 for over 2 years now and the pictures pale in comparison to what the new iPhones can do.  It's still limited overall.  Even in great lighting (i.e. outdoors on a sunny day) I still feel like the pictures aren't that great.

Plus it's kinda annoying that the front facing camera on my 4 doesn't take full size pictures.

EDIT: Duh, you mean Galaxy 4.  OOps.  :D

Sams club is normally a great choice for black friday phones.  The SGS4 is a decent choice, the pictures on my wife's HTC One blows away anything I have seen on Ipone, SGS4, etc when in lower light situations or indoors.  In other situations, such as outside in the bright sun, the pictures are just as good to me, but others see the SGS4 outperforming it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/megapixels-ultrapixels-samsung-galaxy-s4-versus-htc-one-camera-shootout

I've had my 4 for over 2 years now and the pictures pale in comparison to what the new iPhones can do.  It's still limited overall.  Even in great lighting (i.e. outdoors on a sunny day) I still feel like the pictures aren't that great.

Plus it's kinda annoying that the front facing camera on my 4 doesn't take full size pictures.

freesia39,

are you talking about the IPHONE 4?? cause we are talking about the Samsung Galaxy 4....Thanks!

Last year Wal-Mart had most phones $100 off for Verizon inside the Wal-Mart stores themselves. That's with a new 2 year contract. I got my DS17 a Samsung Galaxy, 3 or 4 I don't remember. The deal was good for how new the phone was. Pull up the 2012 Wal-Mart AD. I'm sure the deals will be comparable this year as well.

One reminder with Walmart, go to the store a day or three ahead of time and make sure that store actually has the phone.  There was a HTC One my cousin wanted that Walmart had with a $100 GC a few months ago, went and only one store in the area had it, ended up having to drive an extra 30 minutes to get his phone because the 3 nearest ones were sold out a week before the ad even came out.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Sam's Club VIP adscan; they just put out the Pre-Black Friday event (11/24) that has the iphone 5c and the samsung S4 for 96 cents with a two year contract. Not sure if you need an upgraded membership (some of the other VIP events have needed the preferred or whatever membership), but it might be worth a look. I don't know if I am allowed to link to it here, but search the Holiday VIP event for the ad scan.