Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

DA Admin DNS Help!

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 6, 2004 - 7:40 pm

I am quite unsure how to setup my name servers in DA, I have read the DA tutorial and the the forums over in directadmin.com and I am plain old confused. Here is my issue. I just purchased a VPS account w/ ServInc w/DA and I am not fully understanding how to assign my NS to IP addresses. When in the admin level setup page I click on the IP management page and this is the info that I see IP Status Reseller Users Nameserver Netmask 207.58.133.A server 0 255.255.255.0 207.58.133.B free 207.58.133.C 207.58.133.D Under the administrator setting page I have the following. Server hostname fiberhoptic.com NS1 ns1.fiberhoptic.com NS2 ns2.fiberhoptic.com Timeout 10 Session Timeout 10 Now I have not created any resellers yet nor have I created any reseller packages. Although I have created a domain under DNS Management w/ the following info. fiberhoptic.com. A 207.58.133.A ftp A 207.58.133.A localhost A 127.0.0.1 mail A 207.58.133.A pop A 207.58.133.A www A 207.58.133.A fiberhoptic.com. NS ns1.fiberhoptic.com. fiberhoptic.com. NS ns2.fiberhoptic.com. mail MX 10 I guess my question is how I assign ns1.fiberhoptic.com > 207.58.133.A ns2.fiberhoptic.com > 207.58.133.B Leaving me with 2 free IP's for other uses. Thanks guys.

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 6, 2004 - 8:18 pm

I guess my question is how I assign
ns1.fiberhoptic.com > 207.58.133.A
ns2.fiberhoptic.com > 207.58.133.B

First you should create a resellers account for yourself (instead of using the admin login).

Regarding DNS name servers, those can easily be setup through your domain registrar's web site. Which domain registrar do you use?

#3 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 6, 2004 - 8:43 pm

First you should create a resellers account for yourself (instead of using the admin login).

Regarding DNS name servers, those can easily be setup through your domain registrar's web site. Which domain registrar do you use?

I am using godaddy. I know I need to login to my account in godaddy and just change the NS information, however I have read threads regarding people 'registering' name servers and I was no quite sure what that was referring to.

#4 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 6, 2004 - 9:03 pm

I am using godaddy. I know I need to login to my account in godaddy and just change the NS information, however I have read threads regarding people 'registering' name servers and I was no quite sure what that was referring to.

Yep registering personalized name servers is done through your domain registrar.

GoDaddy.com instructions

#5 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 7, 2004 - 10:27 am

Ok, I made the changes over at godaddy. However, when I try and create a resellers account for myself, I recieve the following error. Not enough IP's to create nameservers. It requires at least 2 free, un-assigned ips. I cant believe I am getting so confused by this. I have not felt this newbiesh in the longest time!!!

#6 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2004 - 10:39 am

I can't remember how I got it to work, but here is what I think I did, lol: Under the Admin control panel, go to IP Management. Assuming it shows all 4 of your domains, you need to select the 3 "free" IPs and assign them to the admin account (I am using the admin account as a reseller). You should then be able to create a reseller's account (or user accounts). Then you can go into the Resellers control panel, select Name Servers, select 2 of the IPs and assign them to whatever nameservers you want. You must have already entered the domain (if it's not your main domain) in an account to have it show up in the drop down menu as available for nameservers to be used with it. i have all 4 IPs going to ns1, ns2, ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com. If something I posted doesn't work, let me know and I'll look at it again

#7 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 7, 2004 - 1:19 pm

I am still confused here. I have now figured out how to at least have nameservers listed under IP management, however, I cannot get a NS listed undet my primary IP address. You said that you were able to have all 4 IPs going ns1,ns2,ns3,ns4. Also, when I go to IP management it doesnt show any of my domains, rather it just shows my allocated IP addresses.

#8 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2004 - 1:28 pm

It shouldn't show the domains when you go to IP manangement - read my post it should show them when you go to Name Servers which is in the Reseller control panel. Initially it should have the main domain used to set up the account only. If that is the domain the nameservers use, then you should be set. If you want, PM me your login and a temp. admin password and I can take a look.

#9 idologic_dh  OFFLINE  

idologic_dh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2004 - 8:23 pm

What brad says pretty much covers it all. Also don't forget to add A records for the ns1/ns2.

#10 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 7:22 am

Ok, then here is my last question. My main IP which is marked as server under the IP management. 207.58.133.* server 0 255.255.255.0 Mask Am I able to set this as my ns1? If so, I cannot figure out how to do so?

#11 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 8:01 am

yes, you should be able to set that as your ns1 under Reseller Menu -> Name Servers. I have my first IP as my ns1 and had no problems setting it up.

#12 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 8:07 am

ok this is my quest for the holy grail. got I hope I can figure this out. Look at me, an MSCIS degree and I cant setup a webhosting server.

#13 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 10:40 am

Ok, I think I figured out my problem. When I try to create the name servers on my 1st and 2nd IP it gives me the following message. Cannot execute your request Details is not a domain Does anyone have the time to do a remote desktop session with me, and show me how stupid i am. :confused:

#14 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 10:50 am

beatmix01,

Change your DirectAdmin root password and send the login details to Brad via PM. He can help you out.

#15 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 11:28 am

wait... no need. I logged onto servint's forum and I am all set. Geezezoo. That took some effort. It really was simple once I got my brain back on track thinking logically. So, now that I created this domain of mine, fiberhoptic.com how long does it take for the site to resolve since I set the name server info up on godaddy about 4 days ago?

#16 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2004 - 11:55 am

If you set the nameservers up on GoDaddy 4 days ago, then those should be set by now. As a matter of fact, I can already connect to fiberhoptic.com now, so it's ready. You just need to upload your files to replace the generic DA home page.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users