Camping Thread and Line Reports

jaymacfla

Have you ever considered camping out before? How did this all start, and why? Why is it becoming the norm and will it ever stop? If I did camp, what to bring?

There are a million questions and there is hope for the rookies out there. We have some of the most educated, and innovative camping veterans that have perfected their strategy right here on GottaDeal. Now is the time to make an assessment of your stock of supplies and plan for purchases which do not involve a whole lot of money to make it happen. I am inviting my fellow camping vets on here(you know who you are!) to message me on a time when you can be online to answer any questions folks may have, since this seems to be the planning season for most as they patiently await the ads to roll in. In the meantime, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability on this issue. Please keep in mind that I live in Florida and camping conditions here can range from hot  to freezing cold, with rain mixed in at times! I have some good friends, including TAZ , DAD2TRIPS, (KLOWN,please chime in also!!!)who can specialize your campout for northern climes. BIGJIMSLADE is one of the absolute best authorities on camping in the southwestern climes, and if a few others from the midwest and other left coasters chime in, we can really contribute to the climate factors which must be overcome for such an expenditure of time and resources.

A few of us have made videos and camping 101 how to threads. Some of these can be found on the site here. by searching the archives. I also thought it would be fun for anybody to post videos or news reports involving their capout here.

Reports of lines and rumors of lines....have you seen any? Post your sightings here with pictures and videos if you can!

Edited by jaymacfla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a very productive weekend for cheap supplies. First, my wife found me a new propane heater for the large LP gas bottle. $40. Okay price. Then it got better. I scored 3 slightly used dome tents, complete with bags for $30, and finally, a personal coleman sportcat tent heater for the amazing price of $10. Needless to say, I am a very happy camper...pun intended.

• 4 weeks later...

... And so it begins: http://www.19actionnews.com/story/24014632/campers-set-up-earlier-than-usual-for-brown-thursday

This is about thirty minutes away from my house (cue sigh)

I don't camp, so I'm just curious about the protocol here.  He said he's a part of a group that will rotate and at least 1 person has to be there at all times. Does that mean when it's time to open, the whole group will go in?  How does that sit with other people in line?

I don't camp, so I'm just curious about the protocol here.  He said he's a part of a group that will rotate and at least 1 person has to be there at all times. Does that mean when it's time to open, the whole group will go in?  How does that sit with other people in line?

Normally, this is not a problem until the line forms on the last day. Many problems with early arrivals are worked out among the first twenty or more people. One person , like myself, usually sets up the "Base camp". Many Best Buy managers will instruct the line when to reform or lose their spot.

Again I say, the list is a must for these situations.  In the past, I've been in line, standing/sitting out there for 18 hours and about 4 hours before the opening, I went from number 8 in line to 20 as "friends" and "relatives" that were "just going to freshen up" etc starting joining their fellow line sitters.  Needless to say, they all took the tickets for the best stuff (to later sell to folks who show up late) so many of the good items were gone by the first 10 or 12 people.

When you arrive, if a list isn't already being kept, make one.  If the people in front of you say someone else is coming, leave a space for them and agree that they have a certain time (8 hours before opening for example) to show up or that line gets crossed out.  I've lined up at BB using a list about 5 times and the store always respects the list (as best they can anyway).

Also, make friends with the people around you.  That way, they'll look out for you and you can look out for them.  If someone has to take a bathroom break or go get something to eat and needs to leave the line for 30 mintues or so, the people around you will cover.

Again I say, the list is a must for these situations.  In the past, I've been in line, standing/sitting out there for 18 hours and about 4 hours before the opening, I went from number 8 in line to 20 as "friends" and "relatives" that were "just going to freshen up" etc starting joining their fellow line sitters.  Needless to say, they all took the tickets for the best stuff (to later sell to folks who show up late) so many of the good items were gone by the first 10 or 12 people.

When you arrive, if a list isn't already being kept, make one.  If the people in front of you say someone else is coming, leave a space for them and agree that they have a certain time (8 hours before opening for example) to show up or that line gets crossed out.  I've lined up at BB using a list about 5 times and the store always respects the list (as best they can anyway).

Also, make friends with the people around you.  That way, they'll look out for you and you can look out for them.  If someone has to take a bathroom break or go get something to eat and needs to leave the line for 30 mintues or so, the people around you will cover.

From my personal experience, and from my partner's feelings on the matter are that we are through with the list approach. We gave it one final go last year, and it was at the Manager's request that we try to use the list and he would honor it. When people who were in the line allowed others to join, the list was brought out. He decided not to use it. We have a new approach this year, but it involves color coded shirts. eventually, these shirts could become the new norm on Black Friday. The first 10-20 this year would get one. Next year, if enough sponsorship is attained, we will expand that to 50. There are no more than 10 shirts of a particular color, and they will be free when the line forms in 2014.

Wow cannot believe people line up this early! I have never been to Best Buy on Black Friday nor will I go (too much craziness) but I do like to do a drive by after Thanksgiving dinner to see the line every year.  I live by the Belden Village one on the strip in Canton, ohio.

Wow cannot believe people line up this early! I have never been to Best Buy on Black Friday nor will I go (too much craziness) but I do like to do a drive by after Thanksgiving dinner to see the line every year.  I live by the Belden Village one on the strip in Canton, ohio.

There has been infinitely more "crazyness" at every Walmart I have seen on Black Friday than at Best Buy, and I have always gone to both.  Best buy was crowded but well run, whereas Walmart's management of the situation was always poor, even when they tried.  Some of the methods they are trying this year might improve things.

• Like 1

Some people make it an annual event to drive by. If you get the chance, check out the Black Friday train horn videos on YouTube!

• Like 2

I had to do some running around today and noticed a lot of the stores already put up metal barricades around the store.  I saw this at Target, WM, BB and Sams. 

I am not a big fan of the barricades, but it worked out ok last year. I was checking sku numbers of TVs yesterday. Our BB store will have only 8 of each of the large TVs on the front page. There were piles of the 39 Insignias and 32 inch TVs which hints at secret sales for the latter.

Campers Already Staking Out Black Friday Bargains

November 21, 2013 6:01 AM

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio (CBS Cleveland) – Want to be first in line for those doorbuster specials on Black Friday? You may already be too late.

Campers have already been lining up outside some big box retailers, hoping to cash in on holiday bargains.

Jim Alooh pitched his tent on Monday to be first in line outside a Best Buy in Cuyahoga Falls.

More here: http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/11/21/campers-already-staking-out-black-friday-bargains/

Who has this kind of free time?  And it isn't that warm in Ohio this time of year...

I went yesterday to Best Buy at East Hanover, NJ and there is one guy already in line.

If you get a chance, see if he is still there after tomorrow night.

if they have a tent its most likely for BF

For the PS4 launch, one guy in our location had a tent, but some may panic and change their strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA6KiugumP4

Cuyahoga Falls again. Meet the self proclaimed, "King" of Black Friday.  When you are the third tent back you lose your crown, sorry king!

http://banning-beaumont.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/black-friday-campers-already-woman-sets-up-outside-best-buy-in-beaumont A woman sets up outside of Best Buy, looking rather unprepared.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/news/all_nc_news/701847/onslow-co--man-already-in-line-for-best-buy-black-friday-deals

JACKSONVILLE, NC now has their first camper. He was there for the XBOX One and Black Friday!

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/specials/specialreports/article/227835/3/Shoppers-Camp-Out-Days-Ahead-of-Black-Friday

This was a variation of news on 12's report on our camp-out a few years back. Apparently, they are showing it again in an attempt to get people to rat on us since we will not call the news agency to tell them when we will show up! I have co-workers telling me that they are begging people to call in so that they can be the first to scoop us. lol.

Note that again, they used our phrase, "Occubuy"

Beaumont is in the middle of the desert in CA (well not like the middle of the Mojave, but it's middle of nowhere to me and it's a desert area...)

She won't freeze (looks like the lows will be down to the 40's) but she's unprepared compared to the pros here.

• Like 1

Beaumont is in the middle of the desert in CA (well not like the middle of the Mojave, but it's middle of nowhere to me and it's a desert area...)

She won't freeze (looks like the lows will be down to the 40's) but she's unprepared compared to the pros here.

It's the heat in the Mojave, especially beating down against that storefront! Remember the lady from last year? Also from Cali. I recently took the wife and Marine son on a little trip to the High Desert. We went to 29 palms, Yucca Valley, and Joshua Tree. She saw her first roadrunner and coyote, nothing like the cartoons!