Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

I preordered 2 PS4s and some games. So those are out the way. Yaay! May still pick up some PS3 games Black Friday. I wonder if any of the PS4 or Xbox One games will be on sale Black Friday for really cheap Hmmm?

I think they are only coming out like a week or two before so I wouldn't think so. I am liking the buy the old gen game get the new gen for $10 more thing they seem to be doing though.

I preordered 2 PS4s and some games. So those are out the way. Yaay! May still pick up some PS3 games Black Friday. I wonder if any of the PS4 or Xbox One games will be on sale Black Friday for really cheap Hmmm?

I was wondering the same, but seriously doubt we will get that lucky. I need games for both new systems. Last year there were excellent discounts on skylanders giants, and wonder if we will see that this year on swap force. Unfortunately, i doubt the xbox one version being on sale, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Kim3498
  • Like 1

Best Buy has Xbox One pre orders available for release day on their site again. :)

One son asked for Xbox One, the other is teetering on wanting PS4. Doubt I'll be able to get that one before Christmas, so that might end up being combo birthday/Christmas gift.

Best Buy has Xbox One pre orders available for release day on their site again. :)

One son asked for Xbox One, the other is teetering on wanting PS4. Doubt I'll be able to get that one before Christmas, so that might end up being combo birthday/Christmas gift.

Being a child born on Thanksgiving,(November 26) I had to endure the "Since it is so close to Christmas, I will just combine your gifts" statement from relatives constantly This usually meant that they would come over for cake and ice cream but stiff me on the gift until Christmas, when I usually got a shirt, or some other lame gift. Now, couple that with a Grandmother who already combined gifts into one for 5 boys to share, and you can see how that can make a kid feel like growing up. I raised 5 children, and they never had to share any gift. One of my boys was born on November 30th, and the first wife's birthday was on December 1, which made it tough, but I learned to lower the gift values and teach the kids patience. Although they never got a first edition or launch day item, they learned that eventually all things will come to those who wait, and usually any bugs the first editions had were worked out by the time the price fell into the affordable range. 

• Like 2

I think they are only coming out like a week or two before so I wouldn't think so. I am liking the buy the old gen game get the new gen for $10 more thing they seem to be doing though.

But isn't that only on certain games? You're probably right but we may get lucky. *Fingers crossed*

But isn't that only on certain games? You're probably right but we may get lucky. *Fingers crossed*

I thought it was the majority of them but then again there aren't going to be that many coming out with the release so are possibly both a little right lol

If your child hasn't just specifically ask for the game Disney Infinity, I would suggest checking the reviews before spending much money on it. I bought it for Ds on launch day thinking it would be like Skylanders, and he played it all of 5 minutes. He says it is not like Skylanders. You get a couple minutes mini game for each character, but there is no actual storyline to it like Skylanders. If you play it on 2 player it splits your screen and that really annoyed him, too.

Being a child born on Thanksgiving,(November 26) I had to endure the "Since it is so close to Christmas, I will just combine your gifts" statement from relatives constantly This usually meant that they would come over for cake and ice cream but stiff me on the gift until Christmas, when I usually got a shirt, or some other lame gift. Now, couple that with a Grandmother who already combined gifts into one for 5 boys to share, and you can see how that can make a kid feel like growing up. I raised 5 children, and they never had to share any gift. One of my boys was born on November 30th, and the first wife's birthday was on December 1, which made it tough, but I learned to lower the gift values and teach the kids patience. Although they never got a first edition or launch day item, they learned that eventually all things will come to those who wait, and usually any bugs the first editions had were worked out by the time the price fell into the affordable range.

Oh no!! I don't combine birthday and Christmas either. I had meant birthday and graduation, since he graduates 3 weeks after his 18th birthday.

But I do appreciate the lecture from a stranger, thanks for that, very friendly and helpful.

I will buy my kids and family the latest and greatest if I want to, and when I want to.

My daughters birthday is also very close to Christmas, so I know how that goes, and how to manage, thanks.

Oh no!! I don't combine birthday and Christmas either. I had meant birthday and graduation, since he graduates 3 weeks after his 18th birthday.

But I do appreciate the lecture from a stranger, thanks for that, very friendly and helpful.

I will buy my kids and family the latest and greatest if I want to, and when I want to.

My daughters birthday is also very close to Christmas, so I know how that goes, and how to manage, thanks.

It was not meant as a lecture. I was just relating a story to give you a child's perspective of gift combining.

SteamOS is coming out. It is a new operating system which is based upon a Linux build, but has been structured to run most games. Where the system shines, is it's ability to allow the user the ability to stream games, movies and music among shared devices. Many are hoping that this will eventually usurp any console out there, due to the PC being the stronger candidate from the upgradeability standpoint. Steam will roll out a FREE operating system, and it can be downloaded and set up on almost any PC. Since it is Linux based, it can be dual booted as well. You will have access to your Steam library, since the games are tied to your account, not the machine. Steam will eventually roll out their own Steambox in the near future. I am hearing that this may be customized by the end user as well. Many modern PCs can be upgraded with ram, video card or bluray player as the customer sees fit. This will allow you to have the best of both worlds. From this platform, you can run all of your PCs, share the games, and get great deals on games from all of the indie game resellers out there, usually 8 or more games(a good portion are AAA games) bundled for about $6. The major problem with consoles is the cost of the games, which can be prohibitive to most budgets. For parents on a tight budget, this is a godsend, since you can buy games super cheap (I can list links upon demand) and your children can access them through each other's computer on your own home network.

My son has pretty much abandoned the PS3 for Steam.  Still uses it for Netflix and occasional gaming.  He hasn't requested the PS4, but a Steam controller and Steam credit. 

• Like 1

Does anyone think that we will see a sale on the Xbox 360 with Kinect?  That is the main thing my daughter is asking for so I definitely want to get it and since they are coming out with the Xbox one, I am hoping to see a sale on the xbox 360 or at least a bundle or a good gift card deal.   I would love it if Walmart offered it like they did 2 years ago.  It was 199 with a 50.00 gift card.

Gamestop BF ad has the Xbox 360 with two games (250gb) for $199.  Is this a good deal?  I was hoping it would be lower since the newer systems are coming out.  Also, have the 360s improved?  We had one a couple years ago, but it got a red ring thingy.  I don't want to spend the money if we're going to have problems with it.  We have a PS3, but apparently Minecraft was only released for the 360.  Boys and their games!!!

I have to ask because I am a little out of the loop.  What is Steam?

Steam is an internet game delivery system. In current for it's a client on your PC or MAC that allows you to download, install and play games. There are many games that support steam. It also adds various chat and ranking features. They have been expanding it and are releasing (released?) a Steam Console which will allow you to all of these things in a console setting with no PC. There is no physical media with steam everything is a a digital download.

• Like 2

Steam is an internet game delivery system. In current for it's a client on your PC or MAC that allows you to download, install and play games. There are many games that support steam. It also adds various chat and ranking features. They have been expanding it and are releasing (released?) a Steam Console which will allow you to all of these things in a console setting with no PC. There is no physical media with steam everything is a a digital download.

Thank you. 

I have reserved the PS4 through Amazon.  I "was" going to wait for a BF deal on another PS3 for my middle son.  But yesterday my hubby went ahead and traded in his xbox360 (he never plays) with all the accessories and we got the PS3 that way.  We ended up paying $65 for the Uncharted PS3 bundle..which I am pretty darned happy with.  So now I'll just be looking for any type of games on sale for both the PS3 and PS4.  Maybe if there is a sale on the Wii U I'll pick up one for the family. 

Don't count on deep discounts for PS4 games. Concentrate on the PS3 games that will be available.

My son has pretty much abandoned the PS3 for Steam.  Still uses it for Netflix and occasional gaming.  He hasn't requested the PS4, but a Steam controller and Steam credit. 

You cannot go wrong with steam. Also, I invite you to look into the various providers that give you more bang for your buck than Gamestop could ever dream of, as if they would even care! Here are a few of the providers of digital games that are Steam compatible:

Bundlestars.com

Indiegala.com

Indieroyale.com

Humblebundle.com

In addition to thse fine companies, Steam and Amazon compete twice a year for your digital game dollar. Instead of spending $50-$60 per game, you will spend on an average of $5-$8 per title. The bundle companies previosly mentioned can give you 5 or more games for $1-$5.

Edited by jaymacfla

Gamestop BF ad has the Xbox 360 with two games (250gb) for $199.  Is this a good deal?  I was hoping it would be lower since the newer systems are coming out.  Also, have the 360s improved?  We had one a couple years ago, but it got a red ring thingy.  I don't want to spend the money if we're going to have problems with it.  We have a PS3, but apparently Minecraft was only released for the 360.  Boys and their games!!!

Amazon has a great bundle for their deal today. I am going to jump on it just in case.

250GB,kinect,one wireless controller and 3 games for $239

Amazon has a great bundle for their deal today. I am going to jump on it just in case.

250GB,kinect,one wireless controller and 3 games for $239

Thank you!  I went ahead and ordered it.  With my Amazon points, I ended up paying only $150!  I'm not sure about the games, and I will have to buy another controller, but I thought it was a good deal as it included the Kinect.  Thanks again!

Question about Skylanders Swap Force and I apologize if I missed this earlier... I tried to read the whole thread before posting.  With Swap Force, do you need to buy the new "starter kit" in order to utilize all the Swap Force characters?  I'm guessing yes as it seems to come with a whole new game.  Just wanted to verify before I start doing my price comparisons!