Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread

Brad

Is the $229 Best Buy tablet on the Home Page a good deal for what you get?  Lol.  Heck, I don't even need a new computer.  

Very good for the price. Has dvd/cd drive which the asus at $219 does not. Bought one for my 12 yr old and it does everything we need it to. Very good battery life for a $229 computer.

Anyone know anything about the touch screen one hour lap top at Walmart? Thoughts on whether it's a good deal or not?

It's a decent laptop, most likely its a dual core pentium or celeron cpu which would be good for basic tasks such web, emailing, watching movies etc. 

Very good for the price. Has dvd/cd drive which the asus at $219 does not. Bought one for my 12 yr old and it does everything we need it to. Very good battery life for a $229 computer.

Can I ask which model this is? Link?

Edited by Mistygirl

Im looking at that HP $179.99, it doesnt seem a bad deal even though usually manufacturers will brand the product skus with WM just for black friday only and make it a cheap made deal, but the only thing I would buy it for is for a secondary laptop as this one gets alot of wear and tear and I need a extra one just incase this one completely dies out. I just do my regular business, emails and the internet, no need for gaming on it.

It's a decent laptop, most likely its a dual core pentium or celeron cpu which would be good for basic tasks such web, emailing, watching movies etc.

Its one that the already have in stock.  Model#: 14-b109WM  for $398.  The cpu isn't as fast as some. Intel Celeron B877 processor

1.50 GHz

I opted to pass and go for faster cpu with a disk drive and skip the touch screen. But then I'm buying for 10 year olds who probably don't care as long as they can stream Jessie on netflix.

I'm looking for a laptop for myself. Any good deals on a laptop with alot of memory? I don't care about it being touchscreen or thin because it's just gonna be for at home. It just needs to have alot of  memory, be super fast and have a cd/dvd burner. I don't know the difference w/gigabites and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!!!

I have narrowed down the list of laptops that I am looking at and would appreciate any input!  I am looking at:

Toshiba 15.5", 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i3-3120M processor for $299 at OfficeMax

Dell Inspiron 15 15.6", 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i3 3217U processor for $299 at Dell

HP Sleekbook Ruby Red 14" Pavilion 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i32377M processor for $295 (Cyber Monday)

I have never had a Toshiba.  I am hesitant with Dell after a bad experience.  I have loved my HP, but wish it was larger like the other two!  The Toshiba seems to have the best processor specs of the 3.  

I will be using the computer for work and home--need it for word processing, internet, and some Photoshop.  

Any opinions appreciated!  Thanks!   

Which lower cost laptop, <$200 do you guys think is the better machine?  It will be for a 6 year old who will mainly be working on school apps, going to Disney junior and things like that.  No real gaming and probably not much movie watching (she does that on the Kindle Fire).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/inspiron-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-320gb-hard-drive/2046027.p?id=1219068380523&skuId=2046027&st=2046027&cp=1&lp=1&ref=199&loc=RjWYtCqO0*M&siteID=RjWYtCqO0.M-UVx0uC3a9XxYxUeM45Aeaw

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-Licorice-15.6-2000-2d09WM-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-E-300-Accelerated-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8/28503699?wmlspartner=RjWYtCqO0*M&sourceid=39565277342650395825&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

HP 14" Chromebook  at Staples

I have narrowed down the list of laptops that I am looking at and would appreciate any input!  I am looking at:

Toshiba 15.5", 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i3-3120M processor for $299 at OfficeMax

Dell Inspiron 15 15.6", 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i3 3217U processor for $299 at Dell

HP Sleekbook Ruby Red 14" Pavilion 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel Core i32377M processor for $295 (Cyber Monday)

I have never had a Toshiba.  I am hesitant with Dell after a bad experience.  I have loved my HP, but wish it was larger like the other two!  The Toshiba seems to have the best processor specs of the 3.  

I will be using the computer for work and home--need it for word processing, internet, and some Photoshop.  

Any opinions appreciated!  Thanks!   

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3120M

go for the 3120m unless it will be running off battery power alot of its life, not plugged in much. 

Dell, no.  HP, yes.  Toshiba, okay.  That is build quality, not those particular computers listed.

Looking to buy my son a laptop for xmas. I am looking for a touchscreen, 15.6 in, i5 or above, 6 to 8 gb ram, and 750 hd. There are a few of these on sale for black friday but I am not sure which brand is best. We have had a dell and hp in the past and both crashed in time although both were cheap computers. I was also considering the toshiba but have never had one. Any recommendations on brand? The HP envy we were looking at gets mixed reviews with some complaints of it being loud

ANY computer can crash, the cheaper it is, the more likely cheap parts (or old outdated parts) were used.  Crashes though are often software related, and have to do with upkeep by the user.  Computer hardware failure can lead to "crashes" through hard drive failure most commonly that I see that are not software related. 

What I tend to see with cheaper brands are hardware failure such as ports stop working, including the charging port, dvd drives that stop reading, keys that fall off, and screen connections that fail. 

Hard drives of every make and model will occasionally fail even if taken care of properly. 

Per Con Sumer Re ports, Toshiba, Acer and HP were the less likely  laptops to have repairs needed.  Dell, Lenovo and Sony were more likely. 

Hope that helps.

Can anyone comment on the general price trend of Laptops this time of year?  In other words, I don't want to get sucked into making a purchase now just to use a coupon or discount if there will be similar deals over the next several weeks leading up to Christmas.

If I remember correct, I made an impulse buy on a desktop from Staples least year at Midnight on Black Friday only to see the price drop lower in the week after Cyber Monday.

Will there still be great deals to be had over the next couple of weeks as retailers fight for customers??

Thanks.

Hey all.  I am a graduate student and my hard drive just crashed.  I am trying to find a good deal but don't really know what to look for or how to determine my needs. I take my laptop with me pretty much everywhere so it needs to be pretty durable.  I use for report writing, research, browsing FB and playing little games to ease my tension :).  Also, I would like it to have a cd/dvd drive as some of my programs are on cd. Any advice on good deals this weekend?  I guess it happened at a good time with black Friday around the corner.  Oh, also, I am a graduate student so the cheaper the better...I am poor! Lol.  Thanks for any assistance!

Looking to buy my son a laptop for xmas. I am looking for a touchscreen, 15.6 in, i5 or above, 6 to 8 gb ram, and 750 hd. There are a few of these on sale for black friday but I am not sure which brand is best. We have had a dell and hp in the past and both crashed in time although both were cheap computers. I was also considering the toshiba but have never had one. Any recommendations on brand? The HP envy we were looking at gets mixed reviews with some complaints of it being loud

I have a Toshiba.  DH has one and so does DD.  We have had 2 HPs and they did not last long.  One did not even make it 2 years.  DH first Toshiba lasted 7 years, the one he has now he has had about 4/5 years,  DD hers is about 3 years old and I got mine this past February.  My vote is Toshiba

I ended up ordering this one online at Staples. It is $299 after rebate. That's the same price as the others I was considering, and it has the same processor as the one at OfficeMax. But this one has 6GB and 750GB HD instead of 4/500.

Toshiba C55-A5285 15.6" Laptop

Item: 49562 Model: C55-A5285

Intel® Core™ i3-3120M 2.50GHz 3MB Cache Processor

6GB DDR3 Memory

750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

I am in search of a windows 7 laptop NOT a windows 8 one for college. Is there any chance of finding one on black friday or would most retailers no longer have window 7 machines?

You can download Classic Shell which makes Win8 act like Win7 or XP. Gives you the older folder style, an actual start menu, the ability to bypass the splash screen and get rid of charms. It made me actually like using my laptop. I personally hate Win8. It is a primarily a touchscreen OS.