Best Lego prices on Black Friday?

theggs4ever

I'd jump on a few sets now, especially if you want smaller sets. TRU and Target will usually have a sale, but it sometimes includes one or two large sets (limiting your selection). I think last year it was the Black Pearl at Target. One other sale is LEGO.com, usually they have a % off, a Free gift and shipping based on how much you buy. I usually buy one large set on BF from them to get the discount and limited edition gift.

I to am having to buy Legos for the first time this year.  Both of my DS want them.  I may look and see what Target has since they are on sale this week.  I didn't know if it was a hot item to sale on BF.  I may look back at last year target/walmart ads from BF to see if they advertised them as a sale item.  If not, then I'll probably go ahead and get them at Target.  Thanks for posting that Target has them on sale this week.

I'm going to try to grab some of the ones at Target now (they are not for Christmas). More than likely these won't be on sale at BF. Sometimes it's a certain series and almost never Star Wars (unless it's one chosen 'large' set). TRU used to do a large SW set every year, but the last one or two they haven't had one :(.

I went ahead and took advantage of the Target sale on Legos for my guys. My ds9 is into Lego Hero Factory and Chima, and they had some great prices on those plus my extra 5% off with redcard. I also picked up a Galaxy Squad set and a spongebob set for my other son. Usually on BF we see some large sets on sale, but they're rarely sets that my guys are looking for so I tend to skip that.  I made the exception a few years ago for some large spy lego set (it was truck and some other stuff) and it barely got played with after about a week so now I stick to the sets they're into.  Thanks to this sale I'm all done with Legos for christmas this year! Yay! 

toys r us legos are always anywhere between $10-$30 more expensive then targets regular prices.  
even at buy 1 get 50% off it is currently cheaper to buy them at Target with the 20% off.  

my daughter LOVES the Lego Friends and i just bought the 3 new sets Cruise Ship, High School and Bakery... 

I know last year Walmart had a bundle deal with some of them.. but it was a pain.. so im taking advantage of Targets Sale right now.. and I dont even have the Red card. lol

Legos will always have a place in my heart from my childhood. That being said, I do not miss the children leaving them everywhere for you to step on. It is great to be a Grandparent. I now send the trojan horse over to the now grown up children's house in the form of a Christmas present for their children. The larger the set, the better the payback......

I, myself, do not like stepping on legos either which I have done quite a bit.  I am waiting a bit longer because while now is the time to buy some of the smaller sets that will disappear, when it comes to Star Wars especially, they hold off until after all the clearance sales are over to bring out the season's big guns. And since Lone Ranger went clearance very quickly, Lord of the Rings is almost done, something new should be on the horizon for the holidays.  

I am probably gonna wanna kick myself in the butt for not getting some sets at target this week while they were 20% off but when I went and looked, I was shocked at how many different sets there were. I have NO clue which ones my son wants. My DH was with me and didn't know which ones either. He's just now getting into wanting legos so This is my first "Lego" rodeo. LOL! I told him I was gonna take him to walmart so he could make a list of ones he wants us to get and ones he's gonna ask Santa for. IDK know if he even realizes all the different Lego sets they have. All I know is he definitely wants a helicopter one, which I saw it and will get it. Do they sell a Lego box to put them in? I can't deal with them being every where and us stepping on them.

I am probably gonna wanna kick myself in the butt for not getting some sets at target this week while they were 20% off but when I went and looked, I was shocked at how many different sets there were. I have NO clue which ones my son wants. My DH was with me and didn't know which ones either. He's just now getting into wanting legos so This is my first "Lego" rodeo. LOL! I told him I was gonna take him to walmart so he could make a list of ones he wants us to get and ones he's gonna ask Santa for. IDK know if he even realizes all the different Lego sets they have. All I know is he definitely wants a helicopter one, which I saw it and will get it. Do they sell a Lego box to put them in? I can't deal with them being every where and us stepping on them.

I think the traditional trajectory is that the City themes are a good entry one (Police, Fire, Hospital, Coast Guard, etc.).  As the LEGO fan ages, they get into more mature (licensed) themes like the Super Heroes, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.  Move on to Technic or Hero Factory later, depending on skills and interest.  I never moved on to Technic, and it has been several decades. :)

As far as BF, here is what I've seen the past few years.

1. Target has some set, regular retail around $100, for about $50 or $60.  Always popular and tough to get.  In general it is a set that has been in production for a couple years and is near end-of-life.  

2. Wal-Mart has had basic brick boxes.  Unbeatable $/brick price point.  But it is only basic blocks.  So a great thing for a builder to have, but probably a little underwhelming on its own (as you don't get any minifigs or specialized bricks).

3. ToysRUs has some stuff.  Maybe B1G1HO.  But as said above prices are usually higher than MSRP and the overall value is, well, disappointing.  Probably one of the best times to get some of their exclusive sets.

4. KMart runs a B1G1HO.  Usually has a smaller selection, but their prices aren't marked up too much

5. WalMart online runs some good bundle deals. You have to stay on top of the deals websites to catch and respond before they sell out.  

6. Kroger Marketplace/ Fred Meyer ran B2G1 a couple years back.  Since they they have been a solid "meh" in my book.

7. LEGO stores and online have some pretty decent deals.  Lots of 10% off or 15% off.  Usually they have one item with an MSRP well over $100 at a really attractive discount (40% or more).  But these are very popular among LEGO fans and really hard to get.

Lots of places (Toys R Us, Meijer, KMart, WalMart, Kroger Marketplace) sell LEGO storage bins.  Plastic cases made by Iris that include a baseplate.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+iris+bin&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VvJIUqKRMYW42QWSlICoCw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1250&bih=683&dpr=1

You can buy them, or get a much cheaper plain case for storage.

But don't despair about Target...  I'm guessing this won't be the last time one of the big 3 (WalMart, Target, Amazon) puts out some aggressive LEGO pricing this year.  In general, if you bide your time you can find 25% off MSRP pretty regularly.  So that is a "good" price.  A really good price is 33% off MSRP.  And a great price is 40-50+% off.

If you live by KMart, check them out.  50% off clearance Toys this week.  I picked up some Lord of the Rings and SpongeBob sets for ~45% of MSRP.  

• Like 2

Just FYI, Target is having a "Cyber Monday" sale today and they have Legos Buy one Get one 30% off.  I know the first one would still be full price, but still I thought I would share in case anyone is looking for a set that normally isn't on sale.  Maybe you could score some good deals there.  Also, free shipping and extra 5% off with redcard. 

Edited by jakesmommy403

So I just looked at Targets cyber sale they have today and they have soooo many legos sets. Is the b1G1 30% off a good deal on them though?  I'm gonna let him look at them tonight and give me some ideas of the ones he wants.  I guess the sale being good also depends on how much Iam going to have to pay in shipping.  IDK if I'll buy enough to get the free shipping.

So today I went to walmart to put a couple of the Lego cities on layaway. One of them was $99 and the other $80. Well after I put them in my cart, I looked on walmarts website and the $99 one was $77 and the $80 one was $54. I took both of them to layaway and said I needed to price match both of them. The girl had to get a CSM to turn the key and allow it b/c the price difference was so high. Afterwards she asked who had them so cheap and I said "y'all did on ur website". She said they werent allowed to price match with theirselves online. I was like, "seriously? That's crazy". The girl agreed and still let me have the price match, which was very sweet but she agreed that it was crazy of them not to price match themselves if it means they are getting the sale. I'm glad I was able to get them at the online price but I had noooooo idea they wouldn't honor thir own online price when u buy it in store.

I'm looking for Lego Mindstorms. My ds is doing First Lego League this year and we can kind of see that he might have these on his Christmas list. Where is the best place to buy these, does anyone know? We do have a Lego store here...is that the best place to look?

Do the lego stores normally have pretty good sales on black friday?  We have a lego store here but I won't be going to it until black friday (if the sale is worth it).  I already have my DS the Lego City Fire and Police Depts on layaway. I'm thinking getting him the coast guard as well but not sure yet. 

My hubby called me at work yesterday to tell me that TRU has some of their legos B1G1 40% off so I looked and couldn't believe how much more they are compared to walmart. For the 2 item I wanted, Walmart was still cheaper than TRU even with the 40% off.

Keep an eye on Amazon right now, too.  My mom and I were at Target last week and she was looking at some Lego sets for my kids and we were price checking them on Amazon.  There was a Lego Star Wars set for $60 at Target that was only $43 on Amazon, a few $25 sets that were $20 and some $20 sets that were $14 and $16.  If you have Prime it's a steal too since you don't even have to pay to ship them.  I know they aren't huge discounts but with Legos I'm always happy to save even just a few dollars. 

• Like 2

I'm looking for Lego Mindstorms. My ds is doing First Lego League this year and we can kind of see that he might have these on his Christmas list. Where is the best place to buy these, does anyone know? We do have a Lego store here...is that the best place to look?

I've seen Mindstorms at Toys R Us, Barnes and Noble, and Lego stores.  If you are looking at purchasing in-store, B&N would be my best guess.  Lego has revised their coupon policies and it is unlikely that the Mindstorms set would qualify for a discount.  (Also unlikely they would have it on a Black Friday sale...)  Toys R Us generally excludes Mindstorms from any of their promotions.  The wording can be vague, so if you feel like arguing with a manager you might be able to get a discount there.  B&N has historically been rather foolish with their coupons and discounts (they had pretty much unlimited 50% off any toy coupons a couple years ago).  I think they are wising up, though.

Personally, I'd watch for a deal online.  Amazon might have a decent price.  yoyo.com or walmart.com might come through with a deal.

Love FLL! Both my boys did it. I actually coached one year as well. But neither was real interested in doing it at home. We have the set from the team I coached, and it was never played with, and the programming books were never looked at. And that's 2 boys, 3 years between them. But that's just us, but just a heads up. What's fun with a group may not be fun alone at home.

With that said, when I was looking, it was hard to find discounts anywhere. Seems I may have found a slight one at Amazon. I would also maybe try eBay.

My son is very much into Mario and Legos, and while Lego doens't make a Mario line, K'nex does. Right now Toys R Us has them on sale for B1G1 40% off. I'm wondering if this is something you normally see have deeper discounts closer to Christmas or if this is as good as it's going to get.

I've looked on past sale ads for the K'nex and it looks like they are never an ad sale item so I'm curious if it's something that will be in the Big Toy Book or on sale after Black Friday.

Thanks!
Holly

• 1 month later...

Kingarthurstoys.com has the Lego Mindstorms EV3 for $329.99.  That's $20 off the regular price.  Price is good through Sunday (11/24).  Shipping is free and depending on what state you live in, there may be no tax.  So far, this is the best price I have found on this set. :)

Edited by Tylie41