Secret Santa 2013 Official Discussion Thread

pogiporkchop

And after working all day to get it done all info is now out!  I'm going to find coffee somewhere...

In the meantime, please check your info.  Make sure you didn't get yourself and that you got one person for each exchange (SS/OE) you signed up for.  If you would like me to double check your names let me know; the lists are handwritten and easily accessible in Big Red.  Name drawings were conducted by the accounting firm of ShiShi, ShiShi and ShiShi.

Obviously a picture will follow at some point (most likely as an avatar change).

• Like 3

Thank you Pogiporkchop!  I know you didn't feel well for a while there, and you came thru for everyone anyway.  We really appreciate you.

And after working all day to get it done all info is now out!  I'm going to find coffee somewhere...

Because I have been blessed with an incredible streak of good luck I've allowed a few latecomers to join the festivities...  This will NOT affect anybody (except me) in any way so don't panic.  However, as of right now there will be no more admitting of latecomers.  Hectic times are a coming and I need to be able to keep on top of things.  There will always be next year...

• Like 3

WOW... I just got the first confirmed shipping of this year!  Someone isn't wasting any time...  I'm not giving any hints but I think we'd all love to see what the receiver gets if he/she chooses to open their package right away.

Anyone know the record for earliest shipper?

• Like 1

I'm getting excited as the messages are coming in saying things are going out!

One thing I noticed that was not clarified (and will be for next year) was the purchase of gift cards as gifts, particularly as "the" gift. We have tried to not do this in the past but I want to know what you all think and as soon as possible. A couple of people have already indicated that cards have been purchased as "the" gift; I know that these people are most sincere about choosing a gift that their person will enjoy but I don't want this to turn into an all card exchange either.

I think if a gift card is given to enhance the main gift, such as a means to buy accessories for the gift, that works.  Also, the recipient may not be clear on what would please them in their survey; I don't think I was, as I don't really have space in my situation for material things.  A gift card would be nice, as I can then choose what to use it on (as long as the store/restaurant it is to is in my area), and I could stretch out the gift itself in to the New Year.

JMHO, of course...

• Like 1

I came home to a very nice surprise on my doorstep yesterday. Thank you very much. Got some of my favorite candy and a gift card to my favorite craft store. I was planning a trip there on Sunday now I have extra to spend. :)

post-137255-0-33924700-1384620980_thumb.jpg

Edited by nafcmf
  • Like 6

I quite agree; it's nice to see one before Thanksgiving. Glad to see the gift will be thoroughly enjoyed.

For next year I think there should be a question regarding gift cards. Some people, such as myself, may be totally OK with just receiving a gift card. Others may prefer to get an actual gift, and yet others may not care one way or the other. This would be a very useful thing to know. If anyone that has not sent or purchased gifts yet would like me to ask their exchange person let me know.

And speaking of next year, I would be happy to host the exchanges again. In fact I can take it over long term if nobody objects - there's nothing I can foresee that would keep me from doing so. :)

• Like 9

Gift cards?  Sometimes this exchange is the only opportunity for some to get a gift at all or one not purchased by themselves for themselves.  Maybe it should be tied into a combination of small gifts.  Say a coffee mug and a gift card to Starbucks, a loofah thingy and other bath items with Bath and body works gift card.  That way they have a gift, which is a small item, and the gift card.  While I would appreciate a gift card, it would be an actual gift, even a small one, that would give person an actual gift to open on Christmas.  If it is tied in to the information list people provide (have people be specific of items desired or indicate they don't care as long as they get something), it should work.

• Like 1

I always thought of a gift card as part of the gift, not to replace a gift unless the information given really didn't give any insight into the person.... Ex, if a person loves coffee and mentions Krispy Kreme, etc, I would think about a small gift card and a mug or something, or if they don't drink coffee but love Fanta orange, maybe a small card to get Fanta at Walmart etc.  I have done that at work.... But there was always something else included, even if it's just a book that they mentioned or an album.  For me it's the only surprise and even if I totally hated the gift (which has never happened) I would want a physical gift.   

I agree. I missed out this year between being sick and overwhelmed by work/life but SS was the only "surprise" I got. Otherwise gifts are stuff I bought for myself on BF or through the year.

Gift cards?  Sometimes this exchange is the only opportunity for some to get a gift at all or one not purchased by themselves for themselves.