What are your kids still playing with from previous years?

shopping4my3son

Some years it seems like some of the gifts are such a waste of money and time depending how long I stalked it. lol

My kids still use their Kindle Fires everyday. Both use their 3DS almost daily. I think they only play a few games though. They have always liked wooden trains, matchbox/hot wheel cars, and legos.

They each have portable DVD players but don't watch as many movies since they can watch shows on their Kindles. The DVD players are good for long drives still.

My younger 2 were given Furby's from my mom. They were a lot of fun that day but have been sitting since. My youngest has the Crayola Digital Light Designer and I don't think it's worth the money at all. Glad I didn't buy it.

Air Hog planes got a lot of use but are not very durable.

Teen son still plays with his Xbox 360, iPad & iPod and his HDTV... other than that a few video games... can't think of much more (some things are still in their original packaging.) Think I'll go with Gift Cards this year - at least I will KNOW he will use those! :(

Edited by magickallight

All of the electronics (Kindle fires, leappad, ps3, 360, various ds's) are all still being played with. DS6 still plays with all his various cars, action figures.

DD2 plays mainly with her babies and her Disney Princess little people castle. The Minnie Bowtique van also gets plenty of play.

DD10 still loves to play with her Barbies and Disney Princesses  I thought last year would be the last she asked for them, but she still has them on her list. The keyboard stays at Grandmas so she can practice there when she spends the night. There might be a few craft things not done yet. It took her until about a week ago to do the Lego Friends sets but she has enjoyed them and wants more. She still plays on her Wii bought 2 years ago but doesn't play all the games she received. 

• Like 1

My 12yo daughter is using a laptop we bought last year and iPod Touch that we bought a couple of years earlier.  She has outgrown most of her toys.  She recently asked to have American Girl dolls moved to storage to free space in her room.   (We will keep those for a future generation, but discard or donate most other toys.)

We got our daughter one of those playschool bug looking cars you ride in and push around with your feet (she's 2) she still loves it was driving it around the house last night. :) She has a bunch of other stuff she uses every day still. Then again she is still small.

DD sometimes still plays with barbies that she got many years ago. She sometimes still plays with the lego friends sets that she got last year. In fact, her and a friend that stayed the weekend spent a lot of time playing with the lego friends this past weeked. Both of my kids still use all of the electronics(ipod touches, game systems, laptops) that have been bought from previous years.

• 2 weeks later...

DS9 is still loving all his Wii games and Skylanders Giants (he's sooo ready for the new one to come out though), and he also still likes his Lego stuff, although he's taken most of the sets apart to create new things out of them.  I've learned my lesson with him and just stick to the smaller sets now, since he prefers recreating them to suit his tastes anyway.  Lego Hero Factory is also still a big thing here in our house.

DS4 is still loving his big Hot Wheels race track thing, all his animal toys, and the DVD's.  I can't even remember what toys he got last year. He's really into action figures right now so that's kind of moved into front and center.  I wish I could say that the big Fisher Price airport wasn't collecting dust in the playroom but it is. *sigh*

They both still like their board games.  We're board game people, though.  We like to have game nights, so those are always in rotation and never really lose their cool here.  I feel like I need to look through pictures from last year just so I can remember which toys were christmas toys, you know? 

Yeah...there is a pattern alright!.....My 83 year old mother STILL will not let me touch her Nook ....... unless it's not working for some reason.  ("My toy is broken, fix it please. ...  Do I need a new one??  I have my credit card....  OH THANK YOU!!  You fixed it!! ....  Now give it here!  I missed playing it.  I had to wait three days for you to show up and fix it!")

Something addicting about these electronic gadgets........

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter's still play with their Lalaloopsy dolls, the Barbies and Barbie beach house I got for them. Heck they even still play with the dirt devil I bought them almost 2 yrs ago lol. I have no idea what to get them this year..I guess I need to keep my eyes and ears open to what they are going on about these days! My dd6 has an obsession with SS (strawberry shortcake) right now..which might be a bit difficult because I don't really find a lot of SS stuff out in the stores. My dd4 should be pretty easy though as she is obsessed with HK (hello kitty) and she's everywhere lol. 

Polly Pockets and Barbies and their DSes get the most play- oh and notebooks that Santa brings every year along with markers, the Easter Bunny replinishes their supply at Easter, but they always need Santa to bring them more at Christmastime, my kids love just sitting and drawing in notebooks with markers- and they are like 10 cents and 50 cents at back to school time, so Santa stocks up.

• 3 weeks later...

My DS 11 & DS 6 both also love their electronics.  iPads are their hands-down favorite.  The 3DS and other such gadgets get much less play time.  For DS6, Hex Bugs and Hot Wheels make constant reappearances.  He'll play with them for hours.  Both boys like ThinkFun logic games and puzzles.  Apple to Apples is a favorite with both.   The Klutz Encyclopedia of Immaturity and the Klutz Book of Inventions are read and reread.  Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes books are another staple pastime in our house.  I used magnets as stocking stuffers for my DS6 last year and he likes to get them out often.  We've added bottle caps, paper clips, and other pieces of metal to his bag over the year and he loves experimenting with the different magnet shapes and strengths.  Small locking boxes to hold treasures also get daily use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly electronics and video games here too.  DS (11) uses his Netbook from last Christmas daily.  DS (10) still plays his 3DS from last year pretty often.  Their XBOX gets tons of play, and the Wii gets used a lot when we have company because they like the play bowling. Legos and art supplies get lots of use too, especially the Lego Minifigures.  This year, they are both getting iPod Touches and I am 100% certain they will be using them a TON.  They are also getting the new version of Skylanders because they have gotten the other 2 games and figures and play with them pretty regularly.

When they were smaller, the Fisher Price Imaginext toys got tons of use year after year. Each year, they got a big set, and they still (especially the Bat Cave) get some use.  My boys still play with them along with the Lego minifigures, and my 2 year old nephew plays with them constantly when he visits.  We totally got our money's worth out of them!

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my DS8 the Imaginext pirate ship about four years ago, and he STILL plays with it!  That has definitely been the longest lasting toy in the house!  He still loves his Legos (the old train table is now the Lego table), and still plays with a few action figures with his little 5 yr old brother.  I got them inexpensive tablets this year -- got tired of them fighting over my smartphone and laptop!