Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Best MySQL book?

8 replies to this topic

#1 paradox  OFFLINE  

paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:19 pm

Looking for a good MySQL book that will teach me all there is to know about creating a GOOD database. I have created databases in the past, but it seems I lack a lot of knowledge to make a good one that won't run into problems in the far future. Thank you for your suggestions.

#2 Brad  ONLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,478 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:35 pm

This is a great book:

http://www.amazon.co.../10108121979-20

Although it deals with both PHP & MySQL - it's what I used to help me learn how to make sites like this one. There is a new edition coming out at the end of the month, so you might want to wait if you can.

If you just need MySQL, try this one, which is by the same authors:

http://www.amazon.co.../10108121979-20

#3 paradox  OFFLINE  

paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:38 pm

Thanks Brad, I own the first one you linked, plus I own PHP5 and MySQL Bible.

I will be working with PHP and MySQL. But I figured I should get a book more solid on the matter, the two books I have that include PHP seem to be very beginner stuff when it comes to the MySQL they teach.

I am thinking about this one:

http://www.amazon.co...7756155-4788808

Any thoughts?

#4 Brad  ONLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,478 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:42 pm

That one should be good. I've used other books in the "Bible" series and they've been useful. How is the PHP5 and MySQL Bible? I haven't begun converting anything to PHP5 yet, so maybe it's time to get a new book.

#5 paradox  OFFLINE  

paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:45 pm

It is my favorite book out of the 3 books I have. I have found it very easy to follow and learn from. I would not have learned as quick as I did without it. Having several books to go to and from though is always a good thing.

#6 mugs  OFFLINE  

mugs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:48 pm

I use O'Reilly books almost exclusively because I know they'll be good. I avoid SAMS (Learn ____ in 24 hours, 30 days, whatever), "____ for Dummies," and "Complete Idiot's Guide to ____" like the plague. O'Reilly has a book on MySQL and mSQL that might interest you. The earlier chapters deal with platform-independent relational database design - normal forms, data integrity and whatnot. It sounds like that's what you need. The later sections (the marjority of the book) deal with the specifics of MySQL and mSQL - syntax, functions and whatnot. That sort of stuff you can just as easily find in the documentation at www.mysql.com

That said, the book I was referring to is called MySQL and mSQL by O'Reilly (http://safari.oreill...d=1-56592-434-7), which was published in 1999 and is now out of print. It has apparantly been replaced by Managing and Using MySQL (by the same 3 authors - http://safari.oreill...d=0-596-00211-4), which I've never read and can't vouch for. Reading the preface online though, it sounds like it covers the basics of relational database design, which would benefit you.

I suggest you sign up for a free 14-day trial subscription to O'Reilly's safari service and at least preview it that way.'

Uh oh, I insulted SAMS and Brad suggested a SAMS book :smirk: :2banned2:

#7 paradox  OFFLINE  

paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 4:55 pm

Thanks a ton for the suggestions! Very helpful :)

#8 Brad  ONLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,478 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 5:15 pm

Uh oh, I insulted SAMS and Brad suggested a SAMS book :smirk: :2banned2:

I don't consider the book I recommended as being in the same "league" as the "complete idiot's guide to learning ___ in 24 hours for dummies" kind-of books. like i said, it helped me design this site from scratch, so it can't be too bad :)

I also have an SQL book from college somewhere around here. I'll have to dig that out and see if it's worth a recommendation. I remember it being extremely dry and useless, so probably not, lol

#9 mugs  OFFLINE  

mugs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 4, 2004 - 5:18 pm

I don't consider the book I recommended as being in the same "league" as the "complete idiot's guide to learning ___ in 24 hours for dummies" kind-of books. like i said, it helped me design this site from scratch, so it can't be too bad :)

Yeah I know, I didn't even know SAMS published books for professionals until I saw your link. I usually go straight for the O'Reilly books when I'm in the bookstore because I trust them. They're easy to spot on the shelf by their distinctive cover design.

Edit: woohoo, 100th post

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users