Let's start talking Black Friday 2013!

len_mullen

I came here looking for the archive.  Believe it or not, I am already Christmas shopping.  I got a pair of these for $349.99 (one free and one for $349.99 shipped free) and am looking to see where I am going to get video cards and power supplies and how much of a deal I can expect come November.  Anyone with thoughts on this is welcome to chime in. 

For the video cards, I am looking for 660/7950 performance wise and prefer no rebates since I need to buy two,

All ears when it comes to suitable power supplies -- brand, size, vendor.

thanks!

I'm actually looking at a ebay for an nVidia GTX 580. Super great performance and are now reasonable priced since you're getting it used and many still have a warranty. As for PS I have been using the XFX PRO750W lately. Not low end cost but not as bad as some others and the power output is top rated. They have awesome reviews and feedback on how clean the power is.

I have searches set up on slickdeals and fw and am signed up for tiger and newegg emails.  I've done some research and, based on that research, have targeted 660/7950 cards from Nvidia and ATI.  Right now, I am trying to figure out WHEN to buy.

Thanks for the link to the archive.  Just wanted to make sure no one posted anything amazing.  No need to sit tight -- these things are not door busters.

Looks like I can expect price drops in Q3 when the next gen arrives.

Edited by len_mullen

• 2 weeks later...

So excited to see this thread! I have started Christmas shopping as well when QVC Christmas in July started and have been going ever since. I do agree that kids are getting harder to shop for now that they are older. They all want alot of things that are more then usual so I'm hoping for some good deals this year!

I started my Christmas list today. Hoping there are some good tablet sales this year. Is it just me or is it harder to buy for your kids the older they get? !

I agree - there was a time when a hundred dollars spent made them think Santa was RICH - tons of toys under the tree... now - I'm lucky if it will buy 1 gift my son will like! Ughhhhh....

I'm so glad someone started this! I started my xmas shopping at the Target toy clearance and I've had BF on the mind ever since! I'm way ahead of the game as far as my kids go this year. I know that the "big" item I'm looking for this bf will be a good deal on a Nintendo 3ds XL, hopefully bundled with a game. Last year we saw some good deals on those so I'm waiting. That's for my ds9, and along with a few games for that and his Skylanders Swap Force for Wii, he'll be finished. I have a whole pile of toys hidden in the basement already from the toy clearance at target.

I don't know what else I'll be looking for this year. We've upgraded our tv's already, no one really needs anything techy, and the kids are almost done. I'm always in the market for a good price on video games and movies.

I'm excited to see what Amazon puts up as their lightening deals this year! I did the bulk of my BF shopping on amazon last year. My plan for this Thanksgiving is to pour myself a nice glass of wine, turn on the Steelers game at 8:30, and shop online like last year. I stayed home warm and snugly, and then went to Target around 11:00 or so the next morning.

I'm getting excited!!!

• Like 2

I'm excited to see what Amazon puts up as their lightening deals this year! I did the bulk of my BF shopping on amazon last year. My plan for this Thanksgiving is to pour myself a nice glass of wine, turn on the Steelers game at 8:30, and shop online like last year. I stayed home warm and snugly, and then went to Target around 11:00 or so the next morning.

I'm getting excited!!!

I'm with you - Amazon had some Great prices last year - many beating locally advertised "Draw Items" - the glass of wine, the game and the shopping are for me, too! ;)

• Like 2

I'm with you - Amazon had some Great prices last year - many beating locally advertised "Draw Items" - the glass of wine, the game and the shopping are for me, too! ;)

If someone would have told me 8 years ago that I would one day have a relaxing Black Friday shopping in the comfort of my home instead of freezing my butt off in line for the stores, I never would have believed them.

• Like 1

If someone would have told me 8 years ago that I would one day have a relaxing Black Friday shopping in the comfort of my home instead of freezing my butt off in line for the stores, I never would have believed them.

To be honest even though we do get some stuff online and being here in FL there isn't much in the way of freezing I enjoy going out. Maybe I'm weird (well I most likely am but thats a different story). Being out in the crowds going through the stores and finding those cool items people tried to hide to come back and get later, it's a treasure hunt :)

• Like 4

I do like the hustle and bustle and fun at the stores and when I was younger and didn't host Thanksgiving I was all about it, but I really like getting all those great deals at home now and then just heading out to see what's left instead of standing in line and hoping I get my must-haves. My brother is a night owl so he loves the overnight shopping at the stores. He hasn't converted to an online bf shopper yet. We usually head out to see what's up, but since there's a Steelers game this year we're going to watch that and if I'm awake enough after it I'll go out with him for a while. That's a big maybe though. Thanksgiving itself puts me in the holiday spirit. :)

Honestly with the BS the stores are starting with the earlier and earlier opening times we have come to the conclusion we will NOT be getting Doorbuster's ever again. Last year we headed out at our normal time got everything we wanted in the store's ordered the rest online.

I love going to the stores. Everyone knows that BF is my holiday =) but I also HATE the early start times! I enjoyed the years where we did midnight madness at the outlets and the stores at about 5am, I would stay up all night and be home early to crash. Stores opening at 8pm leaves zero time for family because you need to be online a few hours before and I refuse to do that. So I have had to change my shopping strategy. Shop online for any possble doorbusters and then go shopping at stores later to see whats left! I'm hoping this year I can get most of my stuff online and then enjoy the rest of the hustle and bustle shopping later on in the day!

For the last few years my girls (adults) have done the "Store Scene" and I am posted on the internet - when they can't get a doorbuster because they are sold out, they call me and many times (thanks to Amazon) I have not only been able to get them their deals - but beat the prices... you have to have a super FAST finger - but so far so good on our arrangement... plus they pick me up the items that the stores don't put online... I LOVE it! :)

Edited by magickallight
  • Like 2

Yes it has I was telling some people that work for me the other day that summer has flown buy and they agreed. I told them I would soon be sending out the holiday PTO sheet so I can find out who is going to be off when because it's coming quickly. Seems like we are all going to blink and it's going to be ad time. :)

Every year ( not last year) I was come back home from Black Friday with a slight cold from standing in coldness .Last year is the first year since I started Black Friday shopping that I did all my shopping online. I sort of missing the crazy scene at the local stores . We will see what is going on. My new job ,the girls don't buy for each other. They pick a name and give that person a gift. I love gift gifts specially if I can get them at a lower price.

Way to early for me to think about yet. Still almost 4 months away. I have to finish back to school shopping, there are 2 birthdays to have, and Halloween.

I don't stand outside in line anymore either. Crowds have gotten way out of control. I now do 99% online and might hit the stores later in the day. I've also noticed I've been able to get a better deal the closer to Christmas it gets. Not on everything but some.

We'll probably open the main BF forum later this month - likely around the 100-day countdown mark like we did last year.

If my countdown is correct, we could possibly have the BF forum open by the middle of next week. Getting excited! :2roller:

• Like 3