Getting rid of Cable

Thinking about getting rid of cable and going to something like Roku or Apple TV any one have these that could tell me how easy it is to watch primetime tv series on these? Which is better? Tired of paying a fortune for cable when these have very minimal fees for netflix and hulu plus. Never used hulu so is it good? Thanks everyone!

It will depend on:

1. Do you watch a lot of network TV and you can receive that signal?

2. Do you watch a LOT of sports?

If you watch a lot of sports, cutting cable wont work for you. Sure ESPN streams SOME stuff online, but not everything. I want to watch the Pac-12 Networks, but you have to have cable in order to watch the stream online (it's how they protect their product.)

I can't cut the cord due to sports alone.

I watch Hulu online, it's great if you watch the show in a timely manner. Some shows they only have the last five episodes up, and you can only watch past seasons if you subscribe to Hulu Plus.

I do'nt know if CBS shows are on Apple TV. I have to watch those on their website later. they are not on Hulu.

I like Netflix streaming, but it's better for catching up to shows, and not all shows are available on streaming.

Not a sports fan so don't have to worry about that. I watch lots of shows on the basic channels not sure if we would get them without cable or not. Need to check into that. I remember at one time lots of friends were saying there was a box that you had to buy to get the regular channels if you didn't have cable. Didn't pay attention at the time since I had cable and didn't plan on getting rid of it but that was a couple years back.

CSI's

Criminal Minds

Survivor

Amazing Race

Walking Dead

Flashpoint

Homeland

American Idol

We had Netflix for several months but there was never anything new on there to watch. It takes forever for anything to show up on there to watch. I have never tried Hulu or Hulu Plus out so not sure what to expect with them. I have found where you can buy prime time tv shows on Amazon and XBox but that's more money that I'll to figure into the cost ans see if it still cheaper.

If you have a digital TV you can probably pick up the local stations with rabbit ears. The boxes that you are talking about is when you have an analog TV and they switched to all digital. I have one of those boxes on my digital TV as it helps the signal. But they are pricey to buy now - like $50 or higher.

Homeland & Walking Dead are on cable only channels - so you won't get those for free over the air.

And ITA about Netflix .. they are about a season behind.

Wow, I didn't know Flaspoint was still on. I loved that show. Anyway, if you have a relative or VERY GOOD FRIEND that has Comcast, you can go online and watch these shows using their password. My daughter does this for HBO shows since she doesn't have Comcast.

Wow' date=' I didn't know Flaspoint was still on. I loved that show. Anyway, if you have a relative or VERY GOOD FRIEND that has Comcast, you can go online and watch these shows using their password. My daughter does this for HBO shows since she doesn't have Comcast.[/quote']

Sadly Flashpoint ended this season (half season too). But they were all one season behind on Netflix and current on amazon. Had to pay on amazon though. Since it ended Netflix may have them all now.

You can trial Hulu plus and see if you like it. It just look up what you want. It will tell you if it's a regular or a plus or I'd they don't have it.

• 1 month later...
ok so I bought the roku and had no luck with it at all. All the shows that I want to watch costs $1.99 per episode on all the sites you can get the tv shows from. Took it back and got my money back. Not worth it if you watch a lot of primetime shows that you need to watch after they air.

• 1 month later...

We purchased an antenna that is smaller then a kindle for 15dollars and get 15-20 channels. All the locals crystal clear. Clearer then we ever got on Direct. Then bought a roku and have Netflix which is more for the kids. We get more then enough with the attenna. So no 70 dollar a month bill. Just 8 for Netflix.

HTH