Story: Black Friday sales slip as shoppers opt for Thursday 'doorbusters'

Brad

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/black-friday-sales-slip-shoppers-opt-thursday-doorbusters-165525323--finance.html

According to ShopperTrak, which tracks retail foot traffic, there were more than 307 million store visits on Friday, up 3.5 percent. But Black Friday shoppers spent an estimated $11.2 billion, down 1.8 percent over 2011, when consumers spent $11.4 billion.

According to comScore, Black Friday online sales topped $1 billion for the first time, jumping 26 percent to $1.04 billion, compared to $816 million last year.

I went to walmart at 520am - only because I was waiting for the Joanns next door to open... it was DEAD. The parking lot was fairly empty and there were only a few shoppers inside. I was able to stroll through, pick up a few "doorbusters" from earlier sales and leave in under ten minutes. Weird. WM isn't somewhere I'd normally go due to the craziness ... so I was really surprised that they were so slow.

We when we went to Target at around noon Friday we were commenting how slow they seemed. The employee told us this was actually busiest they had been and that the store manager had sent 10 employee home at like 11 the night before because they were so slow which is weird.

We went to Walmart at about 6am. It was empty. I bought windshield wiper fluid and things like that. I already had 16 packages coming from my online shopping but my mom won't do online shopping. I listened to her whine about everything being gone and Black Friday being a joke. We went to Shopko were the parking lot was full and I got the gun safe I wanted and a few other things, small things. My mom still had nothing. Kept putting things back, saying maybe she'd come back later and get them. Went on to Joan's and got some really good buy's there. We went to Kmart and spent nothing, while my mom still griping about it being a joke. We stopped at Kohl's on our way out of town, we walked in , it was about 1 in the afternoon by then, I could have gotten a lot in there, but the line went all teh way around both sides of the store to the back . My mom said no way was she waiting in that line for nothing. SHe went home and actually bought 2 items on Kohl's.com and got the extra 20% off and the free shipping and Kohl's cash just for shopping online. I now have over 20 packages coming, most from amazon. 2 from 6pm,com,, 1 from sierratrading post for a Carhart coat and a carseat from babiesrus.

We went to Walmart at about 6am. It was empty. I bought windshield wiper fluid and things like that. I already had 16 packages coming from my online shopping but my mom won't do online shopping. I listened to her whine about everything being gone and Black Friday being a joke. We went to Shopko were the parking lot was full and I got the gun safe I wanted and a few other things, small things. My mom still had nothing. Kept putting things back, saying maybe she'd come back later and get them. Went on to Joan's and got some really good buy's there. We went to Kmart and spent nothing, while my mom still griping about it being a joke. We stopped at Kohl's on our way out of town, we walked in , it was about 1 in the afternoon by then, I could have gotten a lot in there, but the line went all teh way around both sides of the store to the back . My mom said no way was she waiting in that line for nothing. SHe went home and actually bought 2 items on Kohl's.com and got the extra 20% off and the free shipping and Kohl's cash just for shopping online. I now have over 20 packages coming, most from amazon. 2 from 6pm,com,, 1 from sierratrading post for a Carhart coat and a carseat from babiesrus.

LOL. Your mom should have listen to you. Say, when did the Santa's receiving went to your house ?

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/187723/stores-get-huge-win-in-long-black-weekend.html

But the bigger news, for consumers and retailers alike, is a brand new kind of marketing convergence, whereby Thanksgiving Day doorbusters ate Black Friday, and constant online specials devoured Cyber Monday. And both tablet and mobile sales are snacking away at in-store and online purchases, creating a blur of buying. “Black Friday has become a five-day weekend. Every day is Cyber Monday, and every day is Black Friday,” says Matthew Shay, National Retail Federation president and CEO, in a conference call detailing the results. “It’s become a distinction without a difference.”

I'd agree with that statement. Thursday through Monday saw an amazing number of deals, especially online.