Target to match online rivals' holiday prices - per USA Today news article

noehlp

"Target to match online rivals' holiday prices" ~ Hadley Malcolm, USA TODAY

Two snippets from the article:

Target will match prices with online competitors this holiday season, including Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com.

Target will match online prices between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16. In stores, customers can show the competitor's online price for a specific item on their smartphone, or customer service can look it up to confirm.

------------------------------------------------------------

GottaDealer's: What are your thoughts on this?

I think stores are getting desperate. Today when Bed Bath and Beyond would not take my expired coupon I walked out of the store. Got to my car and someone came running out of the store to tell me they would accept the coupon. It was only for a $40 item...

Not the first time a store has gone out of their way to get a sale.

"Target to match online rivals' holiday prices" ~ Hadley Malcolm, USA TODAY

Two snippets from the article:

------------------------------------------------------------

GottaDealer's: What are your thoughts on this?

I think stores are getting desperate. Today when Bed Bath and Beyond would not take my expired coupon I walked out of the store. Got to my car and someone came running out of the store to tell me they would accept the coupon. It was only for a $40 item...

Wow, they chased after you ? That is first time I hear any store doing this.

They have ALWAYS accepted these expired coupons. Have they recently started telling people 'No'?

I still would buy from amazon over Target any day, just because of the fact of saving on the tax, plus it comes in a box, much easier to hide that way.

Alot of states are now getting charged sales tax from Amazon, so check yours out. If may have changed

Here is the press release

October 17, 2012

Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT) is introducing new holiday initiatives, including an all-new Holiday Price Match, exclusive gift offerings and shoppable advertisements, to ensure Target guests can shop with confidence throughout the holiday season.

“Target’s holiday plans are built around an outstanding shopping experience, exclusive merchandise and competitive prices,” said Gregg Steinhafel, Target Chairman, President and CEO. “Our guests will be able to shop with confidence this holiday season knowing that we are intensely focused on providing them the right merchandise at the right price.”

New Holiday Price Match and Extended Return Policy

For the first time, Target will offer guests the ability to match select online competitors’ prices in its stores between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16. Qualifying online retailers include Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com and Toysrus.com.

Additionally, Target has extended the timeframe for its Price Match Policy for the holiday season, and new this year, the policy includes Target.com. If a guest purchases a qualifying item at Target stores between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, and then finds it for less at Target.com or in a local competitor’s printed ad, Target will match that price. For more details, including terms and conditions, visit Target.com/morereasons beginning October 22.

REDcard debit and credit card holders who make a purchase as of November 1 will now receive an additional 30 days on Target’s existing return policy on nearly all REDcard purchases made at Target and Target.com. REDcard holders already save an extra 5 percent on almost all Target REDcard purchases and enjoy free shipping on Target.com. For more details, including terms and conditions, visit Target.com/redcard.

Can’t-Miss Gifts

In addition to the Target + Neiman Marcus collection, Target’s guests will find something special for everyone on their lists with a new, exclusive holiday gifting collection that appears in stores and online beginning Nov. 4. From sweaters and scarves to iPhone cases and journals, the collection features more than 850 gift options for the whole family, ranging in price from $2 to $50. The collection is organized by striking color combinations, such as red and purple, and cream and peach with elements of sparkle and shine to offer gifting inspiration. Items will be displayed on “gifting trees” throughout the store and at Target.com/Gift-Finder.

For the music lovers on guests’ lists, Target is teaming up with global pop sensation One Direction and legendary artist Tony Bennett for deluxe exclusive albums. Target’s version of Tony Bennett’s new duets album, “VIVA DUETS,” includes four exclusive tracks and will be in Target stores beginning Oct. 22. Target’s edition of One Direction’s second album, “Take Me Home,” includes three new songs and two remixes and is now available for pre-order on Target.com and will be in stores beginning Nov. 13.

Digital Holiday Experience

Target is creating new ways to help make guests’ digital shopping experience more convenient, seamless and personalized.

New this year, Target’s guests can shop from television spots, bus shelter ads and catalog pages by using their mobile phones to send a text or scan a QR code. Target’s shoppable holiday advertising begins Nov. 7 and continues throughout the season.

Also, just in time for the holidays, Target is now offering free WiFi in all Target stores. The service will provide better access to Target’s award winning mobile app, and enable guests to redeem Target mobile coupons and scan QR codes throughout the store.

QR codes will be displayed alongside each of Target’s top toys, allowing guests to purchase this year’s 20 hottest toys from their mobile phones and have them shipped for free to anyone, anywhere in the U.S. QR codes are also now found in the shoe section at Target stores, giving guests another opportunity to easily purchase the shoes they love in the right size and color.

Target is also piloting wayfinding technology in a small number of stores, including all new CityTarget locations, where guests’ smartphones can recognize their location in a Target store and help guide them to products.

Joyful Holiday Marketing and Giving

Target’s holiday marketing strategy is designed to recapture imaginations and deliver the joy and value that will get guests excited about Christmas in a way that is uniquely Target. Two distinct campaigns will play different roles throughout the season.

The “Dream Big. Save Bigger.” campaign taps into the magic of Christmas gift giving and communicates Target’s strong value proposition. The first spot includes a whimsical take on Target’s canine mascot, Bullseye and highlights the combination of 5 percent REDcard savings, free shipping and Target’s Holiday Price Match.

As the preparation and deal-finding begins in advance of Black Friday, guests will meet the spirited singing “Target Deals Duet,” stars of Target’s “It’s On!” savings-centric campaign. The Target Deals Duet will air at key times throughout the season on television, radio and online. Also, on Target.com, a neon-lit “It’s On!” logo will signal to online shoppers that a holiday sale is underway.

Target also announced that its annual giving of 5 percent of its profit now amounts to more than $4 million a week. While giving is a year-round focus at Target, one special initiative this holiday season includes a limited-edition plush Holiday Bullseye dog, with 100 percent of the purchase price ($14.99) going to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

About Target

Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT) serves guests at 1,781 stores across the United States and at Target.com. The company plans to open its first stores in Canada in 2013. In addition, the company operates a credit card segment that offers branded proprietary credit card products. Since 1946, Target has given 5 percent of its profit through community grants and programs; today, that giving equals more than $4 million a week. For more information about Target’s commitment to corporate responsibility, visit Target.com/hereforgood.

It looks like they will post more details on Monday. I would guess Black Friday is not included in this.

11:10AM: The link is live. http://www.target.com/c/why-target/-/N-5q0fx#?lnk=GlobalMessagingHome|&intc=601051|null&ref=sr_shorturl_morereasons

Here is some of the fine fine print:

1 5% REDcard Discount: Upon approval, you will receive 5% off purchases paid for with your REDcard at Target stores in the U.S. and Target.com, except on prescriptions, Target gift cards and prepaid cards, Target Clinic® services, and Target Optical® eye exams. 5% discount applies to eligible purchases minus any other discounts and the value of any promotional Target gift cards received in the transaction. See program rules in store or Target.com/redcard for details.

2 Target.com Free Shipping: Free shipping available on Target.com purchases when you use your REDcard. Offer applies on standard shipping to all 50 states, as well as APO/FPO addresses and Puerto Rico. If you upgrade your shipping method, shipping fees will apply. Not valid on previous orders.

3 Price Match Guarantee: Applies to current local printed ads for in-store products. Does not apply to Target.com or CityTarget. See Guest Services for details.

4 Easy Return Policy: See Guest Services or go to Target.com/returns for details.

REDcard®: Existing Target Debit Cards, Target Credit Cards, and Target® Visa® Credit Cards, and new Target Debit Cards and Target Credit Cards. New cards subject to application approval. Pat 7,562,048 and 8,117,118. Add'l pat pend.

I know this is slightly off topic, since we are talking about price matching, but I must say that, assuming it pans out according to plan, I like how Target says it will offer free wifi in all of its stores. If it is up and running while folks are waiting in line on Black Friday this could be good as it would allow them to purchase all non-doorbuster deals online then that way when the doors open they need only worry about the doorbusters. I understand there a lot of logistics to consider when offering free wifi, but I wish all Best Buys would do the same, so that when I am lined up outside their doors for Black Friday I could have access to places like this website or Facebook, etc. I understand that if everyone is using the same free internet it could be come quite slow, but still it'd be better than nothing. Plus Best Buy could borrow a line from Target and say that they're offering the wifi to make the customer's shopping experience better by way of them having easier access to the Best Buy mobile app.

Anyways, it is great to know that Target will be doing this.

required to pay? lol what a joke, only some states are you required to pay it in.

You're technically required to claim it on your state income tax in Wisconsin. As I am doing our taxes every year my wife always asks me, "Does anyone else really do that?"

You are required to report any purchase made out of state (that doesn't assess)as a usage tax on your tax returns. Amazon only collects taxes in the states that it has a physical location (or in states that require affiliate status).

Of course, this is not valid if your state does not charge sales tax.

http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-taxes/do-you-have-to-pay-sales-tax-on-internet-purchases.html

Most people don't report it, some don't even know it exists. Many use tax preparers that have little to no education or training in the subject. Online purchases are very easy to track in the instance of an audit.

Edited by amyers12345

I'm sorry you feel that way. As stated above, there are a few exceptions to the rule. It's not ethical to blanket everyone with a response that may very well not apply to them. Most people have no idea that it is required and by your post they will assume the same.

I directed no portion of my original post at you, I simply stated my opinion on the topic at hand.

Big DEAL if they say they will price match--- at our Sandusky Ohio store- you have to go to customer service to price MATCH anything.......Can you imagine how long the lines would be to price at Christmas time? Thats why I have just decided to stay with walmart for price matching. Until target changes their policy-- they should know they are losing lots of business.

I like Target price matching online retailers. Like others have said, the 5% saving is great. I have always had to pay tax with Amazon so there is no saving there for me. Plus I love the ease returning items to a B & M, if needed, rather than shipping it back. That is a huge deal for me.

As for price matching - I will believe it when I see it. I found some curtain panels that I liked at the store closest to me. They were on sale but didn't have enough quantity. The employee was great about calling a store near my office to confirm they had the balance of what I needed and requested they pull it and gave me a rain check to make sure I got the same price. The next day, I stopped at the store that was called. First, they didn't have my items waiting, then couldn't find them. When I finally got to check out, even though I gave them the rain check, they refused to price match! They said that each store has it's own pricing based on the area's economy.... I could not believe my ears! I am having a hard time shopping at Target now....:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
I price matched an online item yesterday (It was from Toysrus). When I asked the sales associate about price matching something online, she knew nothing about this policy. She told me they don't do it. She sent me to customer service and once again the associate there said the same thing. Once I insisted that this was true, she looked at their policy (which is sitting out on the customer service counter) and sure enough there it was. She went ahead and price matched the item. Looks like many of the employees don't know about this, so you have to be insistent. And more than likely you'll have to go to customer service to do online price matching.

I went yesterday and they were very happy to price match the Lego set with the target.com price. It saved me at least $10 and I was able to use the Lego coupon. I did notice signs around the store advertising the holiday price matching and I was told they could only do it at the customer service desk.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else tried this yet? My experience last night was a total NIGHTMARE!! We bought the 3DS on Black Friday and Best Buy has it priced lower by $20 this week. Took the page from the BB website the a photo of the item and the price to customer service. Said we wanted to do their Holiday Price Match. They had the poster right at customer service. The team member said she had to get a manager. She called someone over and he looked at me and said .. the PM is only valid within 24 hours of your purchase. My jaw must have hit the counter. I asked him to repeat it - he said you have 24 hours to find a lower price, and then we'll match it. I picked up the sign and said - please show me where it says that. He just shrugged his shoulders. I asked him if we could get Target guest services on the phone and he said sure. He picked up their phone, dialed the number for me and then WALKED OFF into the store and left me to try and get someone on the phone from Target. I don't know if it was because it was late - around 930pm, but I kept getting people in India who could only help me with Target.com. After about 3 different phone calls - I finally got someone on the phone who told me that she had never heard about the 24 hour rule and asked to put the Team Lead on the phone. She first person who helped me had to radio him to get him to come back. He then gets on the phone and starts arguing with the Target guest services person I was speaking with about how they are never given accurate information and that he hates how he gets different answers every time he calls them. He ended up doing the price adjustment - took me about 45 minutes to get back $20.00.

I'll be emailing Target today to let them know about my experience in their store and with their 800 number last night.

So frustrating!!!