How long have you been doing BF? / Introduce yourself thread

julz0420

I have been doing Black Friday for over 15 years. In the early days, we would form a plan based upon the Needs and wants of the family. Usually, it meant that I could go to CompUSA and still be back for Walmart shopping with the wife. This was pretty standard fare, with one year missed due to an extreme lack of deals anywhere. The Plans changed after 2004 when I decided to check out Best Buy which my Niece frequented every year. I was in the top 10 at CompUSA and had finished my purchases when I went over to Best Buy just to see how crazy things were there. Inside, I saw a long line winding around the back of the store and just happened to ask a person what was up. He said that the line was reforming due to the Manager releasing 50 more televisions! This was the 51 inch $1200 HDTV for just over $800, and I needed one bad! I called the wife from a store phone after securing a place in line and the rest is history. Within 2 years I would begin to formulate a way to be out in the elements and became a Best Buy regular to this day.

I’ve been doing BF for ever! Back when my step-dad worked at Target and had to be at work in the wee hours. My folks had one car. So one year my mom dragged me along to keep her company. She promised me breakfast out. We dropped Joe off and realized we might as well stay up and shop. A tradition was born. We shop every year. And then go out to eat and get pedicures to rest our tired feet. It’s just my mom and I and we love it. For the last few years I’ve had a job where I didn’t have BF off, and I couldn’t even got back to Michigan for Thanksgiving. Now this year we are back at it. :)

I started Black Friday 2001. I remember so fondly.... I was a new college graduate, got my first job. I figured the black friday prices will stretch my new graduate paycheck money for x-mas gifts. My boyfriend & I saw some good deals in the Thanksgiving circulars and decided to go shopping. We got to Best Buy AT opening time 8am. The clerk said everything was Sold OUT!! My mouth dropped to the floor. I said, “BUT YOU JUST OPENED!!” He said , “people were lined up outside the store since 3am.” I thought, People lined up at 3AM??? I was shocked and devastated!! I couldn’t buy my family gifts at the good prices. So, I vowed I will NEVER be "shut out" of a product I wanted again. The following year I got up to go to Walmart at 1 am. My boyfriend thought I was CRAZY!! "He said, seriously, 1am??" "No one gonna be there, we are going to be all alone, its dark outside, it's cold, blah, blah, blah..." I listened to his complaints and said I was going with or without him. He decided to go, just to make sure I was safe. When we got there we were 10th on line. He was SHOCKED people were there already. We had stumbled upon a secret society. By 3/4am the line was AROUND the corner. The store opened at 9am. This was before they started the 5am openings. We had SO MUCH fun. Talking to fellow shoppers, making coffee runs, comparing shopping tips with other people. There were cops there to keep the peace. They were kind of joining in our festivities as well. I got my TV & camera that day. When I walked out of the store with my bags, I saw a young girl come in ask for the camera and the clerk said to her everything was Sold OUT! I just smirked to myself knowing...that was me last year. Now he's my husband, we have made it an annual tradition. We eat Turkey dinner and head out for the stores right afterwards. Every year we added something to our arsenal....chairs, camping heaters, generator, blankets, portable TVs'...etc. My daughter is well aware this is Mommy's tradition. I never take her with me, she's too young (9). She's knows Thanksgiving night she stays at grandma's house. I have seen a lot of BF changes through the years; 5am openings, ticket systems, so-called Black Friday sales in early Nov, the explosion of cyber monday, now Walmart lets you wait INSIDE the store. I miss the good ole days of just camping outside the store. That showed the True Grit of a person. How motivated they were to get the $100 flat screen TV. It was a “the strongest will survive” situation. I cant wait to when my daughter is old enough to join in. Then we can make it a family tradition.

Hey neighbor !

Christine in Independence....shopping for 20+ years !! ......my amazing husband of 26+ yrs. tried BF ...too tuff for him..lol.

One 16yr.old left at home(out of 8)

9 grandbabies and 1 due in December

3 generations now BF shop together !

Woo hoo, go Independence! I do have to say, I don't even venture to the Independence Center after Black Friday until New years or so. It gets CRAZY over there!!!! Thanks for the shoutout, neighbor!

I'm Krista and I do my shopping in Florida :) I have been a BF shopper since I was 16 and my mom took me out with her. I'm 34 now, so you get the idea that I'm a vet! I've only missed one year, and that was when I was working at a cinnamon bun place in the mall so I had to be open to make the coffee and buns to fuel the mall shoppers. But I still went out shopping later that day!

I joined the site a few years back after my mom finally gave it up as her source for our BF planning. She is also a member of the site along with my sister, but we're more lurkers than participants. I'm mostly here around this time of year but sometimes I'll see something on Facebook and I'll jump over other times too.

Names Brandi, been on here since 2005 just dont post much.. Been black friday shopping for 16 years. Married 16 years (together 19) High school sweetheart lol awwwww Buy for my 3 children, ds 13,dd 10, ds 8 and a few family members. In Villa Rica Ga but go to Douglasville for most of my BF shoppimg. :)

I can't think of the year but it has been at least 4+ years. I was supposed to go with one of my coworkers at the time but I was stood up. I wouldn't have gone by myself but my wonderful mother stepped up and we have been going ever since. I will try and get a team together this year.

I don't know what year I started but I do know that the first year me and my friends could barely fit into the Expedition because it was packed so tight!! I haven't missed a good deal since. And thankfully in 2004 I was researching coupons for Overstock.com and came across this site. I have been saving a ton of money ever since. In the early years there was a lot of drama but now there's a nice happy community that helps each other out for good deals of good advice. Thanks Gottadeal and here's to many more!

My name is Sabrina, I live in Kernersville, NC and do my BF shopping in and around the area (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point and I even travel a little farther away to Tanger Outlets in Mebane). I have been a serious BF shopper since my daughter was born 6 years ago, before that I went out just to people watch or help my mom get everything on her list. It's become a tradition for my best friend and I to head out after we have dinner and do a quick clean up. This site has been awesome to help us get prepared for our adventure. Every year we try to break our record of how fast we can get everything on our lists and check out at Walmart LOL

Name:Lisa

State: Oregon

Been pulling allnighters and fighting the crowds for 9 years!

Welcome to GottaDeal, Lisa! Well, it looks like you joined a couple years ago, but this is your first post! Congrats! And keep them coming. The GottaDeal community is the friendliest out there. :)

My name is Natasha Married with 3 kids plus I have custody of my cousin as well.I have been doing Black Friday for 13 years so far .I am shooping for my 14year old son ,7 year old daughter 23 month old son and my cousin who just turned 18 .Forgot how long I have been a member here

Hi, my name is Karen from Fairhope, Alabama and I am a Black Friday Addict! ;) I have been shopping on Black Friday for well over 30 years now - and when I found this Awesome Site back in 2005, I became an addict and have never looked back! I live on this site year round - many times having everything purchased for Christmas long before Black Friday rolls around - but that doesn't stop me from shopping! :P I do almost all of my shopping online now - as my health doesn't let me take on the stores much anymore - but I have a daughter stationed at the Real World Stores while I hunt for the deals on the internet and together we make a great team.

I shop for my mom, my hubby, my 3 kids, 1 son-in-law, 4 grandkids, 1 dog, 2 cats, friends, neighbors and needy families. I always try to pick up toys when I find great deals on them through this site and put them away for the local Toys for Tots toy drive.

Many people on this site have become like family to me and I feel at home here. If any of you only come here during the "Black Friday Frenzy" you are missing out! There are Fantastic deals YEAR ROUND and we all have a lot of fun sharing deals and chatting - so stick around and join the Gottadeal Family. :g_thumble

My mom is not a shopper and definitely not a black friday shopper so i have been going it alone for the past 10 years since i could drive myself. Everyone in my family thinks i am crazy, even if i dont have money to shop i still get up and go out window shopping to get me in the holiday mood on black friday. It has gotten even more exciting for me since i discovered gotta deal a few years back. The best part of the year is when the boards get fired up with people just as excited as me for black friday. I do my shopping in northern ky and shop for my DS 9, DD 4, nieces, nephews, moms and dads.

Ok this is my first response on my first forum thread ever so now that I've read the directions lol my name is Rubie I am married to an awesome husband and I have seven children. It is far too late to tell me that God isn't real lol He changed my life and if you don't know Him personally I can sure introduce you ;)! And I LOVE to shop ;)!!!!!

My name is Danielle. I am from MI. My mother started me out BF shopping when I was a kid. This was back when Target and Kohl's etc gave out gift cards and prize bags. I remember fighting on the floor with some woman over a Talkboy at Target as a child..she stole it out of my hand... lol. Since then, I feel the need to go out and wait in lines every year. I will see what this year brings. :)

Hi-- Chelsae here. I am a Black Friday Fanatic. I have been shopping on Black Friday since I was 12 or 13-- Now I am 23 so 10 or 11 years give or take. I shop with my Dad ever year and we always have a great bonding time with shopping and just the rush of it all. This is my first year also working retail (Old Navy) and it feels like our store is getting into the holiday scene fast our holiday meeting is this Sunday so I may get some inside skinny :) I got the 2pm-7pm shift so I can still go shopping!!!!! Been saving for what seems like forever (college student working part-time---it takes time to save $$$$) I too am from Michigan and have been watching the Gotta Deal boards and ad scans for years! I was also one of the Lucky scavenger hunt winners of a t-shirt earlier today! Loving Gotta Deal & the forums and can't wait for relevant ads to my area to be posted soon!

I'm 50 years old and from Smyrna, Tennessee and I've been shopping on Black Friday for the last 20 years! The last 5 years I've had to work the night shift on Black Friday at a clothing store. This year may be the 1st year that I will not be able to participate in the tradition, since our store is opening up at midnight! But if that is the case, I'll have my surrogates out there gathering the deals!