Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

This is what I was coming to ask also. It would be for my daughter's room and she is only 6 so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

There not that hot. I have not really seen them with an HDMI cable either, but the color and picture quality is not up to par for my standards. But it all depends on what you are going to be using it for and haw frequently. If it is your everyday TV, that you watch everything on - then in my op no. If it is the bedroom TV that you only watch a little bit or before bed then great buy. I will probably get one for my kids to play there game on, but not for my use at all.

Best deal looks to be the Toshiba 50 inch for $299 at Sears that things killer its 1080P plus LED and one of the top brands.

WE have a 42 in and a 47 inch TOSHIBAs and I LOVE THEM BOTH, awesome tv and good sound considering we don't have a theater system

I don't see a SEIKI 24in anywhere in Kmart ad, but I saw it on the Gottadeal HDTV charts... am I missing a kmart page?

Yeah, I am now likely going for a separate BLU RAY, I was just hoping to avoid MORE and MORE things sitting in his room.

I agree. A cheap blu-ray player (for $50) is better than upconverting (which most BD players can do also) a DVD. You can still play all of your DVDs (and upconvert) on it so you don't lose anything. Plus, you can expand your library with some high picture/sound quality movies (Star Wars & Batman come to mind ;)). I play BDs and DVDs in my player all the time (you can't get some movies and especially TV shows on BD(such as The Six Million Dollar Man, lol)).

How good is the proscan 32 inch tv at Kmart? $97 seems like a steal!

I have a proscan and it's not worth the money at all. The picture isn't great and the sound isn't any better. I ignored the bad reviews before I bought this tv and now I realize what a mistake it was. Seriously, don't waste your money!!

Does anyone have any reviews on an Orion tv? Walmart is gonna have a 24 inch Orion that I would like to get but I haven't found any reviews on it.

I haven't yet, but I want to get that tv as well. I had an Orion years ago, a 13 inch and it never died, I got rid of it for a bigger tv, it worked very very well for several years... of course they make things cheaper now a days but I wanted to tell you I had a good experience in the past. :)

I haven't yet, but I want to get that tv as well. I had an Orion years ago, a 13 inch and it never died, I got rid of it for a bigger tv, it worked very very well for several years... of course they make things cheaper now a days but I wanted to tell you I had a good experience in the past. :)

I was saying the same thing. I did not even know they still made TV's - LOL. Man I can picture it now on my Dorm table, me eatting cookies trying ot finish a paper watching Married with Childrens - Man the good ole days:yay:

I was saying the same thing. I did not even know they still made TV's - LOL. Man I can picture it now on my Dorm table, me eatting cookies trying ot finish a paper watching Married with Childrens - Man the good ole days:yay:

:P shhh, you're giving our ages away... hey we both joined gottadeal same month/year....spooky..

The biggest problem with inexpensive LCDs is viewing angle. If I look up the set on my frig when I am at the frig, it is posterized. From across the room, it looks fine. You really want to go out this weekend and see if you can look at the sets you are interested in. As to what will be appropriate in the bedroom, that depends. I sit below and to the right of the set in my bedroom when I am working at the computer. The plasma that hangs on the wall looks great while the LCD it replaced looked horrible -- from that angle.

My boyfriend got a Samsung a few years back - it lasted about 2 months past it's warranty, then the screen was shot. He took it back to Best Buy (now known as "Worst Buy" to his 5 yr old). They refused to do ANYTHING for him - the guy wouldn't take 10% off the new TV purchase OR throw in free delivery. I think that the company should have done better since the TV was barely over a year old, and a $1700 purchase.

I got my Sony at Ultimate Electronics before they clsed down, so we've owned it about 3 years maybe? So far, so good. It is a model or 2 above what you get in Walmart, but not their top-of0the-line. It's got a BEAUTIFUL picture, clear, and the colors are vivid. We use it with the BluRay and everything looks gorgeous. Would recommend another.

I believe it is the Sony KDL-52V5100, but not 100% positive. It's probably not marketed any more, but I love mine and would definitely consider another model from them.

we had a $2100 (plus extra warranty bringing it close to $2800 with taxes) Samsung and it died literally days just before the extended warranty ran out, but I didn't call on time for them to come out, I was away (my 19 year old was home). Best Buy was super with me. They put me in contact with their "Public Defender Team" since the problem that it died from had been addressed before while still under their extended warranty. In fact, it had been addressed twice before. With the help of them, I got a replacement TV but I did have to pay $539 with the tax and 4 year extended warranty.. they gave me every single discount they could think of to bring it down to this price. TV was not as good as the one that had died, it was only $1400 to begin with, but at least I wasn't out totally. It would have ran me $800 to fix the old one. Since the problem had happened 3 times in less than 4 years, no one recommended fixing it.

In 2008 we got the kids a PS3. When I plugged it into my 36" Sony TV, it disappointed. I decided to take the plunge and get an HDTV. I got a bundle from Best Buy. It was stunning. Still is. Even today, after four years, I sometimes stop to admire the quality of a movie or a commercial. Last year, I decided to indulge in a new TV for my bedroom. This one is also a Samsung plasma. It too is stunning.

I do not doubt Samsung had made some bad televisions. I'm sure the people who have had problems are very unhappy. Generally, though, most people who buy Samsung sets are very happy. This interesting article captures this paradox -- showing people have had more severe problems with Samsung sets than other major brands but are more satisfied with their purchases than than buyers of other brands.

Samsung had a major problem with power supplies a couple years back. The problem is well documented and the solution is not very expensive. DIYers discovered and remedied the problem before Samsung stepped up. After spending millions to settle a class action lawsuit, I suspect Samsung has exercised this demon. While I remain concerned that my older set may develop this problem, I am confident it can be repaired and count myself among the very satisfied customers.

I suspect those of you who choose a Samsung plasma will be as satisfied as I have been. Understand the issue and make an informed purchase.

The way that I look at a lot of things is EVERY brand out there has issues and people who hate them for one reason or another. Every brand will have things that are bad when you get them, go bad days/weeks months after you get them or will die after your warranty is out. No way around it. I always tell my friends do you homework on MANY sites and especially on sites that specialize in the type of thing you're looking to buy and take the good and bad reviews then draw your own decision after that. I have a Toshiba plasma I bought on BF 6-7 years ago now and I love it (still to this day am having a hard time finding a reason to replace it). I go for the extended warranty on the lesser brands (Dynex/Sansui/Westinghouse/etc) as they tend to use cheaper electronics inside even then I have 2 Dynex LCD tv's in my house and 1 of them replaced another Dynex when it died. Sometimes it's just a crap shoot on what you're going to get no matter the company or the price point.

My coworker bought a Haier last year. She loves the picture, but says the sound is murky. I've got a Sharp Aquos 42 with their soundbar, going on 3 years now - love. Bought my mother a 32 Aquos 2 years ago - she loves it too. Sharps came from Dell with free shipping. This year, I'm on the hunt for a 32 for my sister. Was eying up the Haier for her. If I can get it for $97, I'd go get her a sound system too. :D

Yeah if they ever put it online! I am losing feeling in the backside sitting here hoping to get it! I guess they are gonna put it on in the middle of thanksgiving dinner...