Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 5 weeks later...

My daughter (age 6) is really wanting a tablet. I had said that I wouldn't buy anything like that for her this young, but now I am reconsidering. We homeschool so it could be used as an educational tool also. I don't really want to buy an iPad because of the price.

I have been looking at the Nabi 2. It is made for kids. It has bumpers around the edge. It also has some very cool apps, alot of educational stuff. Every time they do an educational game, they earn coins. They have an app where they can use these coins to buy other apps. I can also put her chore list on the tablet and 'buy' coins that she can earn to use in the store. One of the apps is a music/TV app. All for kids.

It also has a mommy/daddy mode. I can control things that she is able to watch/do. It uses the ice cream sandwhich OS.

Has anyone had any experience with this tablet. It sells for 200.00. Do you think it is worth it, or should I just get a cheaper tablet. I definitely want one that will last but doesn't cost over 200.00.

I am thinking about going ahead and putting it on layaway as soon as Walmart opens their layaway or do you think I would be best to wait until BF. I know the tablets don't really ever go on sale, but do you think that they would offer any gift cards with purchases for BF?

Thanks. I really appreciate your input. I do not own a tablet or anything, so I am completely lost when it comes to knowing what to look for.

I also wanted to add that the Kindle library has gotten ALOT better with younger kids book since the release of the Fire. It could be used ALOT in homeschooling, I'd assume. DS has an app he uploads his weekly spelling words too AND I just downloaded a multiplication app for him to use everynight too :) Instead of buying flashcards I downloaded a flashcard app :D

I also wanted to add that the Kindle library has gotten ALOT better with younger kids book since the release of the Fire. It could be used ALOT in homeschooling, I'd assume. DS has an app he uploads his weekly spelling words too AND I just downloaded a multiplication app for him to use everynight too :) Instead of buying flashcards I downloaded a flashcard app :D

A NOOK COLOR is another option...they just came down in price. I believe $149?

You can also wait and see what the iPad mini is going to run. It's rumored to be somewhere in the $200-$300 price range and the app store is loaded with software thats free. Our daughter uses the iPad all the time and she is MUCH younger than your little one.

You can also wait and see what the iPad mini is going to run. It's rumored to be somewhere in the $200-$300 price range and the app store is loaded with software thats free. Our daughter uses the iPad all the time and she is MUCH younger than your little one.

I didn't know they were coming out with an iPad mini. The only reason I don't want to get her an iPad is because I don't want to give 400.00 for a tablet..lol. I can't really afford thatmuch since I have 3 kids to buy for and we live on one income. I do love the Ipads though and I know that they use them in our local school for K-3.

We own the 64GB Ipad with 4G(its expensive!) and while I let my kids USE it I stress out about it and they get sick of hearing me. That is why I like the Fire, I never stress about handing them one in public or around the house. I've relaxed a little with the Ipad but at first I swear I was JUST short of making them sign a contract in blood when they touched it :P

She uses our first gen iPad and I have to say still not a scratch on it. These things are way tough. She also plays with my wifes phone and my phone all the time (iPhones) it's crazy how good she is at using them. I'm in the tech industry and my wife is a 1st grade teacher and play games on the iPad with our daughter that teach her letters, numbers colors and shapes. She is crazy over the Disney Jr. app. I laugh she is so young and she uses the tech better than people I know my age. :)

Thanks everyone. I am going to check into the Kindle. I didn't realize that the Kindles were tablets. I thought they were just e-readers..lol. I told you that am completely naive when it comes to tablets. :)

Would you be able to download the same type apps for a kindle as you would for another tablet?

She uses our first gen iPad and I have to say still not a scratch on it. These things are way tough. She also plays with my wifes phone and my phone all the time (iPhones) it's crazy how good she is at using them. I'm in the tech industry and my wife is a 1st grade teacher and play games on the iPad with our daughter that teach her letters, numbers colors and shapes. She is crazy over the Disney Jr. app. I laugh she is so young and she uses the tech better than people I know my age. :)

She loves Disney Jr. I believe this is why she wants an app. I think they advertise the Disney Jr. app on their channel..lol.

Kindle runs on the Android market you can go to www.Amazon.com and take a look at all apps available. They do a free app a day and you can also download MP3s, movies, AND books/picture books! You can stream videos live from the prime store...

I do not recommend dropping it of course but my kids have had their far share of drops and we are still good :)

BTW I do NOT work for Amazon I just really, really, really love kindle and an option other then Apple :D

Would you be able to download the same type apps for a kindle as you would for another tablet?

From what I understand, the Kindle Store has access to the same android apps as a tablet but only apps that are 'Amazon Approved', so to speak. They've been getting better but not quite as big of a selection as a full blown tablet with access to the Google Play store.

I'm currently looking at the Nexus 7, the new tablet out by Google, for my soon to be 9 year old. http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/google-nexus-7-1087040/review

So far all I have read on it, I'm impressed, but waiting for it to be out a little longer before making the $200 plunge

I would lean towards the Nexus7 as well.

No closed ecosystem then...

I would lean towards the Nexus7 as well.

No closed ecosystem then...

Something to be said about closed with lots of malware floating out there :)

I'm not an apple homer by any means they are just very good straight forward and do everything asked. I actually bought my wife the B&N Nook Color 2 years ago and she still uses it daily for reading books. Thought it was a MUCH better value than the iPad at the time and backed by someone in the book business. I'm thinking about the new one they are getting ready to release for her this Christmas.

Yes you are correct. The Kindle Fire is a Tablet (you can also read books on it) Kindle ereaders are known by the following names Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, and the just announced Kindle Paperwhite.

The Kindle Fires are tablets; my understanding is that some of the Kindles are just ereaders. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....

I just bought two of the nabi 2 tablets for my kids (ages 5 & 6) from walmart.com. They are not showing in the stores yet, only Walmart, Amazon and the Nabi site have them for sale on their websites. I opened up one of them and played around with it, it is very cool and very kid friendly. There are two modes the mommy mode you can do everything and the kids when they go to surf the web they can only go where you allow them to, there are a list of approved websites if you click on the "web" and you can add more websites for them. It comes with tons of apps and you can add more. It is extremely durable and cute. It comes with a red bumper, but you can buy different colors. Also I noticed it was very fast. I hear they will have more accessories coming out soon including a keyboard. If you are interested in this one, I would not wait for the price to drop, I think it will be sold out and hard to find the closer you get to Christmas, but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps.

I just bought two of the nabi 2 tablets for my kids (ages 5 & 6) from walmart.com. They are not showing in the stores yet, only Walmart, Amazon and the Nabi site have them for sale on their websites. I opened up one of them and played around with it, it is very cool and very kid friendly. There are two modes the mommy mode you can do everything and the kids when they go to surf the web they can only go where you allow them to, there are a list of approved websites if you click on the "web" and you can add more websites for them. It comes with tons of apps and you can add more. It is extremely durable and cute. It comes with a red bumper, but you can buy different colors. Also I noticed it was very fast. I hear they will have more accessories coming out soon including a keyboard. If you are interested in this one, I would not wait for the price to drop, I think it will be sold out and hard to find the closer you get to Christmas, but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I am still leaning toward the Nabi. After tons of research and reading all the reviews, I believe that this will be the best choice for my daughter. They actually have some in stock in several Walmarts near us. So, I am planning on putting one on layaway next Friday (I have early access ticket for layaway). I believe that she will absolutely love it.

I also noticed that they have added several bumper colors that you can buy separately on the nabi website. I agree with you that I think they are going to go very fast.

I wish they had them stocked in my Walmart store I would have loved to put them on layaway. I'm wondering when they will have the accessories in stores, specifically the bumpers. my two kids can't have the same exact color anything without fighting.

I wish they had them stocked in my Walmart store I would have loved to put them on layaway. I'm wondering when they will have the accessories in stores, specifically the bumpers. my two kids can't have the same exact color anything without fighting.

I hope they get the accessories in the store before Christmas