Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

My dad mentioned that he would like an ipad. I really don't think he cares about brand he just wants a tablet. He would want to read, play games, watch movies, surf the web and maybe use it for pictures and sermon notes. He is 71 but does pretty good on his laptop. I would want something to be very user friendly and last. My cousin recommended the Nexus 7. What would you get him?? Budget can go up to $500. My brother and my aunt are helping to get it. We would rather get him one thing he wants than a bunch of stuff he may use but is not excited about getting or would get himself. He would not buy himself a tablet.

Also what does he have to have to run the tablet and enjoy it when he travels?

For the money you have to spend you can go with one of the higher end tablets like the Asus. Last year we got our two kids the the Asus Transformer and the Acer Iconia A500. Both were onsale BF Asus for $249 and Acer $199. DS has they docking keyboard for his Asus. I am hoping there will be similar on sale this BF

To travel he will just neef wifi wherever g e is to get online.

I agree, if you can spend that much, your options are a little greater. I would probably try and find him a 10 in tablet, you should be able to in that price range. And the docks for the Asus Transformers are nice, he may like having a keyboard if he needs it.

The new Windows 8 tablets may also fall within that price range, that's another possible option...

There is no NEW 160 kindle fire. The old one is now 150, but the new ones start at 199. You wont find them on sale from amazon and I would never buy a kindle from anyone else. The tax alone negates any sale price

From Amazon:

All new - 40% faster performance, twice the memory, longer battery life

Okay these may seem like dumb questions but I really don't know the answers. What is the difference in a tablet that has WIFI and one the has WIFI with 3G. If I get the one with 3 G does it have to added to my Verizon account to work? What does 3G allow you to do that WIFI doesn't?

Okay these may seem like dumb questions but I really don't know the answers. What is the difference in a tablet that has WIFI and one the has WIFI with 3G. If I get the one with 3 G does it have to added to my Verizon account to work? What does 3G allow you to do that WIFI doesn't?

Wifi is free when you find a hotspot, ie home router or hotspot like Starbucks. With 3G you need to have a service plan from your cell company, ie Verizon, and it works anywhere you have cell service.

Wifi = free use after you buy it, but you must be somewhere you can access internet wifi spot to use the internet on it

3G + wifi = you have to pay a monthly phone plan, you can use it on the internet anywhere you can get a phone signal whether you have wifi spot there or not.

Alright I am confused a bit. My daughter has a ipod touch, school mini laptop and a older kindle. Which tablet should I get her. My son is 12 has none of those above. He wants to get on facebook, utube, play games. Which one for him. Thank you for your help. I am leaning on kindle fire hd for both of them.

Or I may even wait for the microsoft surface.

We'll admit to being a little blown away when Microsoft launched the Surface -- it was an impressively polished tablet that we had heard barely a whisper of leading up to the mysterious launch event. But, there was one thing that we were still left wondering: how much would it cost? Now, with Acer getting all in a huff about competition and Microsoft conceding that some OEMs might be a little upset when this thing ships, we might just have an idea for you. According to an inside source, a session was held at Microsoft's recent TechReady15 conference in which all the launch details were laid out. If things go according to the plan detailed then, the Surface for Windows RT tablet will be launching October 26th -- no surprise there -- at a compelling price of $199.

That MSRP, almost certainly lower than Microsoft's own cost, would line it up against the Nexus 7 and even the Kindle Fire. It would put Windows 8 on the map in a big way and give a lot of people a lot of reason to try out an operating system that is going to feel rather different than previous incarnations. The question is: will it drive enough sales of media and apps for Microsoft to recoup its loss? Or, will companies like Acer put up enough of a fight in the months between now and October to keep Microsoft from undercutting its own partners? We'll find out soon, dear readers

Its sad that Amazon now charges tax in PA

When did this start? and did they give an explanation why? So then most of the US doesn't pay sales tax for Amazon, but PA does? I am so :gdangry4: reading this now!

and 1 more ?, if KFire goes down in price, say 1-2 week after pre-order is finally delivered, would any credit be given?

Please bear with my, non-tech savvy questions--I read this whole thread and I still need something clarified:

the major difference between the Kindle 7" FIRE, the Kindle 7" FIRE HD, and then the most expensive 8.9 ones... besides size, will I miss any CONTENT by not getting HD or NOT getting the biggest/best? I may buy 1 or 2, so if I sign up for the prime all of us can access all of the content either of us purchases then?

And the Wi-fi thing, if not in Wi-fi area, then kids can't access internet, email, FB, so what can they access? Just not clear on this stuff...I mean if they are in van getting taken to school and can't get Wi-fi, can they do anything with it?

Please bear with my, non-tech savvy questions--I read this whole thread and I still need something clarified:

the major difference between the Kindle 7" FIRE, the Kindle 7" FIRE HD, and then the most expensive 8.9 ones... besides size, will I miss any CONTENT by not getting HD or NOT getting the biggest/best? I may buy 1 or 2, so if I sign up for the prime all of us can access all of the content either of us purchases then?

And the Wi-fi thing, if not in Wi-fi area, then kids can't access internet, email, FB, so what can they access? Just not clear on this stuff...I mean if they are in van getting taken to school and can't get Wi-fi, can they do anything with it?

I think the only difference between the Fire and the Fire HD is the screen is actually High Def. the bigger ones are obviously bigger. If they don't have Wifi then they can still play games, watch movies and read books that have already been downloaded. They won't be able to surf the web, check Facebook or download new apps.

If the Kindles are attached to one account, they can share the books purchased on that account. It the kids aren't in a Wi-Fi area, they can use the downloaded apps or read a book on the Kindle. I just flew for four hours with my Kindle and finished one book and started a new one. Only catch is that they were downloaded before I left the terminal.

When did this start? and did they give an explanation why? So then most of the US doesn't pay sales tax for Amazon, but PA does? I am so :gdangry4: reading this now!

and 1 more ?, if KFire goes down in price, say 1-2 week after pre-order is finally delivered, would any credit be given?

It is happening where there is a warehouse but also individual states are prepping lawsuits to get a piece of the pie. They want the revenue from the tax that they are missing out on.

Not sure when it started. I have a Kindle Fire HD on pre order and it shows sales tax on my charge. Its $299 + tax. I think my balance is $316.94. I know there is tax charged in NY not sure about NJ. One way to go around it is to buy from a third party seller who uses Amazon to ship. The Kindle is direct from Amazon so can't do that.

I always thought that if you have an item you bought online, or in a store, and it was shipped to an address that has sales tax they had to charge it? I live in NH so we don't have a sales tax. I can however buy an item in a MA store and have it shipped to NH and don't pay the tax. It's the same if someone buys an item in NH but has it shipped to MA they do have to pay the tax. I'm so glad we don't have a sales tax. No income tax either but DH works in MA so we have to pay it.

Not sure when it started. I have a Kindle Fire HD on pre order and it shows sales tax on my charge. Its $299 + tax. I think my balance is $316.94. I know there is tax charged in NY not sure about NJ. One way to go around it is to buy from a third party seller who uses Amazon to ship. The Kindle is direct from Amazon so can't do that.

-thanks for the tip on using 3rd party, shipping thru Amazon when I can, thats a help!

And thanks to zoemariesmamma & cln29 for answering my question as well :)

I think the only difference between the Fire and the Fire HD is the screen is actually High Def. the bigger ones are obviously bigger. If they don't have Wifi then they can still play games, watch movies and read books that have already been downloaded. They won't be able to surf the web, check Facebook or download new apps.

Thanks Jen & (Iliveforblckfri) for the explanations, think I got it now, playing apps & games, books & downloaded movies should work just fine, think I'll be getting at least one.

The HD had quite a few other differences. It has a camera, it also has a kid mode, among some other differences. You would have to look at the specs page, but last time I was on teh amazon forums, those are the major differences people were talkimg about. About the sales tax, My state definitely has sales tax, but we don't pay amazon sales tax, that has nothing to do with why amazon doesn't charge it, it's having a warehouse in our state or having them fight it out in court like California just did.

Thanks Jen & (Iliveforblckfri) for the explanations, think I got it now, playing apps & games, books & downloaded movies should work just fine, think I'll be getting at least one.

The HD had quite a few other differences. It has a camera, it also has a kid mode, among some other differences. You would have to look at the specs page, but last time I was on teh amazon forums, those are the major differences people were talkimg about. About the sales tax, My state definitely has sales tax, but we don't pay amazon sales tax, that has nothing to do with why amazon doesn't charge it, it's having a warehouse in our state or having them fight it out in court like California just did.

You're correct, Fireball. I had a chance to play with a Fire HD and it's quite a bit different. Here are my impressions...

1. The screen is much nicer. I didn't think it could be, but it is.

2. The speakers are amazing. No other tab compares at this time.

3. The cpu is fast. If you go from a iPad to a Fire, the Fire is sluggish. The Fire HD is iPadish.

4. There is a lot of memory. That's a fact, not an impression.

5. The Fire HD is shaped differently. It doesn't fit as well in my back pocket, but feels better in my hands.

It's a lot of tab for $200.

PS I didn't mention the camera because I didn't use it, but that is a difference for people who want to video chat. The original Fire had 8g of RAM which allowed me to carry two to three movies for a flight. My kid has had to manage apps since he plays a lot of HD games. Not really a problem for either of us, but the Fire HD comes with 16g or 32g which would hold a lot of movies and probably never have an issue with games. Battery life of eleven hours is very good, though I never had problems with the Fire.

Edited by len_mullen
more thoughts...

you're correct, fireball. I had a chance to play with a fire hd and it's quite a bit different. Here are my impressions...

3. The cpu is fast. If you go from a ipad to a fire, the fire is sluggish. The fire hd is ipadish.

thanks for info!!

You're correct, Fireball. I had a chance to play with a Fire HD and it's quite a bit different. Here are my impressions...

3. The cpu is fast. If you go from a iPad to a Fire, the Fire is sluggish. The Fire HD is iPadish.

I'm so glad I read this. I'm ready for a tablet upgrade, and now I know which one I want. :)

If I were getting one for myself I would defiantly get the Fire HD. I'll still probably get the regular Fire for the kids, unless there is some kind of BF sale or gift card with purchase or something.

Do you think I should wait until BF? was there a good deal last year? If so I can be patient, buy some giftcards, be ready, etc...

but I am not sure what spouse's work schedule is gonna be, etc. I may be watching kids/can't be sure I can be tied to the pc for 24-48 hours hoping to catch a kindle deal that may last 10 minutes...

Do you think I should wait until BF? was there a good deal last year? If so I can be patient, buy some giftcards, be ready, etc...

but I am not sure what spouse's work schedule is gonna be, etc. I may be watching kids/can't be sure I can be tied to the pc for 24-48 hours hoping to catch a kindle deal that may last 10 minutes...

No. amazon doesnt put their new kindles on sale and I wouldnt buy from anyone else.

I doubt they will be on sale cuz they just came out but you never know. I think Best Buy is the only B&M store that sells them now but if they did have them on sale I would have no problem buying them there.

Last year, Walmart sold Kindle at retail price but included a $50 gift card. Not likely to be repeated since Walmart is no longer selling Kindles.

If you have a Discover card, and have been accumulating cashback, you can get a $25 staples gift card for $20 in cash back -- so 20% off sale for you!

If you have a Dicsover card, but have not accumulated much cashback, you can use ShopDiscover.com to get 5% cash back from Best Buy or Staples. Generally, this amount doubles for November and December, so you can get 10% cash back.

That is probably the best you are going to do before Christmas. Of course, all bets are off is Apple and Google start competing on price. ROTFLMAO!

Amazon sells them refurbished also. What I am saying is if you buy from a store you follow their return rules and such. If you buy from amazon at xmas you have until january 31 to return it if you don't like it or have a problem and get your money bck. If you buy it from best buy, it's 2 weeks I think. Staples the same thing. If you break it , amazon will replace it. I broke my screen twice and they sent me a new one overnight. They will still do that after you 30 day period is up through their warranty, but with the return situation, you follow the store . I saw some bad situations on the amazon forums that wouldn't have happened if tey bought them from amazon

Amazon sells them refurbished also. What I am saying is if you buy from a store you follow their return rules and such. If you buy from amazon at xmas you have until january 31 to return it if you don't like it or have a problem and get your money bck. If you buy it from best buy, it's 2 weeks I think. Staples the same thing. If you break it , amazon will replace it. I broke my screen twice and they sent me a new one overnight. They will still do that after you 30 day period is up through their warranty, but with the return situation, you follow the store . I saw some bad situations on the amazon forums that wouldn't have happened if tey bought them from amazon

Oh I see. Thanks.

Last year, Walmart sold Kindle at retail price but included a $50 gift card. Not likely to be repeated since Walmart is no longer selling Kindles.

If you have a Discover card, and have been accumulating cashback, you can get a $25 staples gift card for $20 in cash back -- so 20% off sale for you!

If you have a Dicsover card, but have not accumulated much cashback, you can use ShopDiscover.com to get 5% cash back from Best Buy or Staples. Generally, this amount doubles for November and December, so you can get 10% cash back.

That is probably the best you are going to do before Christmas. Of course, all bets are off is Apple and Google start competing on price. ROTFLMAO!

And Discover's quarterly 5% cash back through december is all online shopping so you can accumulate that even buying now from Amazon.