Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Windows 8

2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyLaRue  OFFLINE  

JohnnyLaRue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,225 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted May 8, 2012 - 9:03 am

So why upgrade if I can't play my DVDs? :confused:

Does this also mean all my photos on DVDs won't work?

http://www.telegraph...-play-DVDs.html

#2 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,193 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 8, 2012 - 9:44 am

It doesn't mean it won't read your DVDs. Just that unless ya buy the Windows 8 Pro version and the Media Center add-on, the windows media player in Windows 8 won't have 'native' playback support for DVD movies. If ya have a DVD drive installed it'll still read the data, like your photo DVDs and such, so at least for the moment you're fine there. You'll just have to download and install a third-party DVD media player like VLC which, IMHO, is immensely better than WMP.

I'm kinda surprised by the news, as WMP has had DVD playback support since the stone ages (around Windows 95). But in a way, I'm really not.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown :)

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 8, 2012 - 1:33 pm

I wonder if the 3rd party video player companies were threatening lawsuits similar to the Internet Explorer ones of years past... Granted, I got this opinion from an admitted Microsoft junkie, but he has been developing for Windows 8 for about 9 months now and is singing its praises to anyone who will listen and many who won't. I haven't played with any of the Betas yet.
Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users