Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Wireless Router opinions

13 replies to this topic

#1 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

Sentient Program Operator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 19, 2012 - 5:34 pm

My old Wireless G router is dying, I am in need of replacing it. I am looking to get a really nice wireless N router as I want to have good connection throughout my house, something that I have never had. I am currently leaning toward the Asus N62U but wanted to know if anyone had any other really good alternatives or deals? Thanks
A computer can only be as smart as the person running it. :crash:

#2 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 14,990 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 19, 2012 - 7:08 pm

Linksys or nothing. Any time I strayed I've regretted it.

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on [color=#0000FF;]232[/color] spammers! Hammer.gif

#3 homedirt  OFFLINE  

homedirt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 19, 2012 - 7:27 pm

I have the netgear 620 I think it is. I like it pretty good seems to work well at any given time we have 3 xboxes a Ipod and atleast one laptop online at once with no problems. As for other brands don't get belkin we've had two and both were crap.

#4 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,737 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 20, 2012 - 7:24 am

Btw, while an N router will have a larger range, it will only matter if your devices are also N capable. For example, the Wii is not N, its G. Not all xbox wireless adapters are N. Many older laptops won't be N. You get the picture. So if you want to improve your network speed and range, you have to make sure the router AND all devices are upgraded to be (or already are) N capable. +1 for linksys
Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#5 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,222 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

Posted Apr 20, 2012 - 8:56 am

Got a Belkin N300 myself and have never been disappointed with my connection around my house :D Belkin and Linksys are the top two players that give ya the best bang for your buck. Ya can usually find one with a great range for around $50.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown :)

#6 bribri25  OFFLINE  

bribri25

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Apr 21, 2012 - 3:07 am

Does dual band gain you anything of purpose in home usage? Does it help in the case of larger houses?

#7 ObiRich  OFFLINE  

ObiRich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 21, 2012 - 1:57 pm

What dual band is useful for is if you have lots of devices operating all the time. What most people do is use the 2.4ghz band for normal stuff (computers, game consoles, etc) and then use the 5.0 for streaming to TVs. That way your streaming isn't sharing bandwidth with your surfing. However, it only works if your router supports simultaneous usage (a lot of low end N routers don't), and then your device would have to use both bands (or at least the device you want to use the 5.0 would need to, since the 2.4 is the default).

#8 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,326 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 22, 2012 - 4:34 am

I will have an wii, a blu-ray player, 2 to 3 cell phones, 2 laptops on this connection (not always all at same time, but often many of them). Some of the devices are "N" and could access it at this speed. If that info helps with your recomendations...

#9 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,737 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 22, 2012 - 7:11 am

Quick question: what speed broadband do you currently get? If you go to dslreports, what is your download speed?

#10 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,326 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 22, 2012 - 12:58 pm

10 M up, 1 M down are my speeds from places like speedtest.net Tried DSL reports, the site is down right now.

#11 homedirt  OFFLINE  

homedirt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 22, 2012 - 2:15 pm

Those speeds will proabaly be good enough, but you may consider a upgrade. I don't know who your internet is through but charter has 30 meg for $30 right now. About the N and G router if only one device is G all will run at G speeds (ive been told) so you wont see an improvement there on the other hand a dual band router does run at 2.5 and 5.0 frequencies so you wont have the interference from say a cordless phone so you may see some improvement. And you should get a better signal throughout your house. If it were me and I was gonna buy a new routers anyway id get a $60-$80 dual band and try that before I would upgrade my broadband.

#12 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

• 1,326 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 23, 2012 - 5:30 am

My area has very little competition on internet, and mine is bundled with our cable on a deal my wife signed us up for, stuck with it for another year. We basically have Brighthouse or Verizon for internet coverage wired for internet coverage.

#13 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 1,737 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2012 - 5:39 am

...About the N and G router if only one device is G all will run at G speeds (ive been told) so you wont see an improvement there...

This was a lot more common when N was still new. I think *most* routers are able to handle both bands simultaneously now without trouble.
But it is something worth looking into - read reviews at places like NewEgg and Amazon on any router before you buy it.

#14 ObiRich  OFFLINE  

ObiRich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2012 - 2:35 pm

This was a lot more common when N was still new. I think *most* routers are able to handle both bands simultaneously now without trouble.
But it is something worth looking into - read reviews at places like NewEgg and Amazon on any router before you buy it.

I have a Vizio router (a Netgear in disguise) and it has an option in the setup to handle both G and N clients in the 2.4 range at their own speed. My N laptop connects at 100+, DDs G laptop at 54. And my 5.0 is reserved for the BluRay and streaming.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users