* Official Black Friday MP3 PLAYER Thread *

i-bystander

I vote highly for the Creative Zen Micro. I have the 6GB one and it is AWESOME!! (they also have a 5GB one). It is hard drive based. Similar in size to IPOD mini (i think) and has great sound. Right now you can get one for $150 at Best Buy (this week - 11/13-11/19/2005) cause all CREATIVE MP3's are on sale at 25% off with a 2mo free napster... (check my thread in online deals).

And yes, you can get speakers for the Creative zen Micro.

Can you tell I LOVE mine?!? :heart::wub:

HTH someone.

Tami

Hubby asked for a mp3 player for Christmas tonight while I was talking on the phone to him. He said they have a place where they can d/l songs and audiobooks to them. And he can listen to the books while he works out.

My question is.. what would be a good and reasonably priced for under $100 or so.

I know nothing about mp3 players. And what size would I need? For him storing audiobooks on it. :violin:

I personally would not buy one, instead I would get a Creative Zen MP3 Player.

I am wanting to get my daughter one of these Creative Zen MP3 Players. I have been looking at Best Buy at the 5mb and 6mb. They are the same price, and I'm not sure why. Is the 5gb better than the 6gb for some reason? Or is it just a fluke thing and I should go for the higher gb?

What is the best one to get for a runner? My husband wants one for his morning runs and I am clueless. He doesn't want a lot of storage so that is not an issue. He needs something that doesn't go on a clip or in a pocket, maybe straps onto his arm? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated, and the cheaper the better!

Ok guys I am looking for a cheap Mp3 for my evening walks to replace my personal CD player. What I have been looking at is the 19.99 MPIO at sears. Problem is when i saw the actual ad scan it had the name i-bulldog on it and I can't find that anywhere on the internet. Anybody know if this is worth the 19.99?

Guest CS.Dean

Here's a black friday-worthy deal: this friday and saturday only Shopko will be selling RCA Lyra 128MB players for $34.99 - not bad!

128mb is very small...only 25 to 30 songs

Guest CS.Dean

What is the best one to get for a runner? My husband wants one for his morning runs and I am clueless. He doesn't want a lot of storage so that is not an issue. He needs something that doesn't go on a clip or in a pocket, maybe straps onto his arm? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated, and the cheaper the better!

Ipod and the others with 4GB and up are hard drive driven.

I have a iRiver 256mb. I take it to work all the time and I work outside in extreme conditions. Its flash drive driven, i feel its makes the a little more durable due to the fact the woth crash like some of the early models of Ipod.

Most flash drive mp3 players are fairly priced. They come with 128mb,256mb,512mb, and 1GB memory. Look at the BB add they have a 1Gb. Its a good one.

Regular price is $199.99, BF its $139.99

Will BB honor their price matching policy on BF? Normally, they will refund the difference if something you bought there goes on sale cheaper within 30 days. My mom bought the SanDisk 512 mp3 for my son a few weeks ago when it was on sale there for $ 69. I thought she got a pretty good deal then. Now it's going to be $ 39 on BF!

I don't know anything about MP3 players. Of those on the list, which one is a good one? I recently bought some MP3 CDs I'd like to listen to without having to sit in front of my computer. Does the MP3 have to be hooked up to a computer to listen CDs? Thanks. Steamboater

Steamboater, I am by no means an expert on mp3 players, but I think that the SanDisk 512 MB at Best Buy for $ 39.99 (reg price $99.99) is a good deal if you want something small and inexpensive to get started. I have the older model SanDisk 512mb. I bought it last summer and it works great. I walk/run with it. I load my music on my computer using Windows Media player and then sync it to the mp3 Player, which you connect by a USB cable included with the mp3 player. When it's done, you disconnect the mp3 player and take it wherever you go, like a Walkman. I have about 125 songs (wma files) on mine right now. If you want to load a lot of music, you need a player with a hard drive, like an Ipod. I don't really know much about those types of players.

Hope that helps.

Edit, sorry rebate expired on the 16th from buy.com. Bummer, I had a $15 coupon that I was going to use. :(

However, ZipZoomFly has a $40 rebate making it $160 ar.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Creative Zen 30gb from Buy.com. Last time I checked it was $199.99-$40 rebate making it $160.

My brother owns one and it's definately bulkier than all the new players. He still sticks it in his pocket though. I'm interested in it for use in a car instead of a cd player. Looks like I'll probably be picking it up because these BF deals are pretty skimpy, and anything under 20gb just isn't enough storage for me.

I'm not a tech geek, but I have one of these (smaller size). I use it for running once a week. I like it since it has FM also. It has a strap on the arm. You have to print the full manual from the CD to get the full use of the mp3. The buttons are a little confusing (to me) and takes time to adjust to its function (or I am just dense!). At the same time, I don't know how does this one differ from other mp3s. I think if you are looking for something cheap that'll do the job, the Sandisk 512 will do. And I paid about the same for 256...

Ok, I am planning to get DH an MP3 player and I have two (more) questions...

1. He wants to be able to download songs onto it from some of the cd's he already has. I have heard that you can do this with free software. What is this software and how do I get it?

2. He also wants to be able to download new songs off the internet. Anybody have any opinions on where to do this from. I know there are many out there, but don't know which one to go with. And we're not sure if we want to subscribe to one that you pay a certain fee a month and get unlimited downloads or if we want to do one where you pay per download. So, would like to hear opinions on both.

Ok. I am new and have a question.

My 12 yr old son is wanting an IPOD Mini. I cannot find that. I can find the shuffle and I can find the Nano (which he is not getting!) but I do not see the mini.

If you can find it or know what it is can you advise and if you know something that is similar or better for same price that would be great. I am looking at the one that BB will have on BF and it looks awessome...especially for the price.

I just do not see paying 200 for something like that..especially for a 12 yr old! Some people may do that but I won't!

Thanks!

Super Mommy...

Do you have Windows Media Player on your computer? I just load/rip my CDs to Media player and then sync (transfer) the songs I want to my mp3 player. I'm sure there's other software available. Media player is pretty easy to use. Of course, you can't use Media Player with an Ipod, I don't think.

Ok. I am new and have a question.

My 12 yr old son is wanting an IPOD Mini. I cannot find that. I can find the shuffle and I can find the Nano (which he is not getting!) but I do not see the mini.

If you can find it or know what it is can you advise and if you know something that is similar or better for same price that would be great. I am looking at the one that BB will have on BF and it looks awessome...especially for the price.

I just do not see paying 200 for something like that..especially for a 12 yr old! Some people may do that but I won't!

Thanks!

The Nano replaced the Mini. I don't think they are making the Mini anymore. The Nano is the same price as the Mini, so I am assuming they no longer make the Mini.

If you want a Mini, I would suggest ebay, but you will probably be spending the same amount or close to the amount the Nano costs.

UUUGGHHH ticked..had a whole reply and lost it..I'll try again..

Looking at the sales...I want to add my opinion. I was helping a friend look for a player and here's what I found in comparison. May interest you....

I found an mp3 player that has a reg. price of 99.xx. Wal Mart sells the ILO 1 GB for that price. I bought it to try. I also own a Creative Zen Nano Plus that is comparable...But the ILO is better in my opinion and less expensive.

For starters the ILO is flash based, not Hard Drive based like some players (WM BF player is HD based) so it is more durable.

It is small and comes with a clip on case and arm band. It comes with a few preinstalled songs you can easily delete. Also comes with a coupon inside for 10 free downloads at Wal Mart.com.

The player is 1 GB but also has an expansion slot to add a memory card up to another GB.

It has several player mode settings. Eq setting..Fm radio that you can preset stations. You can record off the radio setting or voice memos. It puts songs by artists, genre, albums etc. etc

The instructions aren't the greatest but easily figured it out and ripped a cd on to the player easy and fast.

It's small enough, altho not as small as the zen nano plus.. The sound quality is equal. Runs on 1 AAA battery, included.

Wal Mart online offers the player in several colors, but you pay shipping. In store offers 1 color but no shipping.

It allows downloads from many sites but not itunes..no biggie to me. But, if your looking at the sales for players of this size or smaller..or even the zen nano plus being more $$.. This one is definately a great deal..and no fighting on BF to get it.

Basically, it's small, good sound, affordable, flash based, easy to use..has great extras...plus those 10 free dl songs of your choice. And better then those in comparison on the BF sale. I like it better than my more expensive Creative Zen Nano Plus!

Looking at the sales...I want to add my opinion. I was helping a friend look for a player and here's what I found in comparison. May interest you....

I found an mp3 player that has a reg. price of 99.xx. WalMart sells the ILO 1 GB for that price. I bought it to try. I also own a Creative Zen Nano Plus that is comparable...But the ILO is better in my opinion and less expensive.

For starters the ILO is flash based, not Hard Drive based like some players (WM BF player is HD based) so it is more durable.

It is small and comes with a clip on case and arm band. It comes with a few preinstalled songs you can easily delete. Also comes with a coupon inside for 10 free downloads at WalMart.com.

The player is 1 GB but also has an expansion slot to add a memory card up to another GB.

It has several player mode settings. Eq setting..Fm radio that you can preset stations. You can record off the radio setting or voice memos. It puts songs by artists, genre, albums etc. etc

The instructions aren't the greatest but easily figured it out and ripped a cd on to the player easy and fast.

It's small enough, altho not as small as the zen nano plus.. The sound quality is equal. Runs on 1 AAA battery, included.

WalMart online offers the player in several colors, but you pay shipping. In store offers 1 color but no shipping.

It allows downloads from many sites but not iTunes..no biggie to me. But, if your looking at the sales for players of this size or smaller..or even the zen nano plus being more $$.. This one is definately a great deal..and no fighting on BF to get it.

Basically, it's small, good sound, affordable, flash based, easy to use..has great extras...plus those 10 free dl songs of your choice. And better then those in comparison on the BF sale. I like it better than my more expensive Creative Zen Nano Plus!

12-year old daughter has had Sandisk for over a year (actually has 256MB version). Can put 8 or so CDs on it, which is all she says she needs for car travel, etc. Has dropped it a couple times with no ill effects. Gets bumped around in her school backpack a lot - seems to be like a Timex (takes a licking and keeps on ticking).

Of course, now that I have glowingly endorsed it, it'll probably break. :giggle: