* Official Black Friday DVD PLAYER / RECORDER Thread *

i-bystander

What is POS?

a POS means a piece of s--t. A rather crappy model.

Ok...my own question...if I were to buy a DVD recorder/VCR combo for the purpose of turning home movies on VHS into DVDs, and to make DVDs using a camcorder hooked up to the tv...is there any particular model that I should or shouldn't buy, or will they all work fine for that?

Also--is it possible to have a DVD player hooked up to a DVD recorder, to copy DVDs? I want to send dh a bunch of his movies but I don't want them ruined (the stuff he took on his last deployment came back pretty messed up), so it'd be MUCH better to send him copies than the actual storebought DVDs. Plus the people who inspect the packages going over there are sometimes less than honest, and I wouldn't want my one and only copy of a movie walking off.

outnumbered- you don't need to buy a combo dvd recorder/vcr if you already have a VCR. just use one of the inputs on the DVD recorder for your VCR output (could either be RCA cables for A/V or a single coaxial cable. When you want to record, just tune your DVD recorder to either channel 3/4 (depending on what your VCR channel out is set to) if you are using a coax cable, or A/V input if you're using RCA cables, then you should see your VCR output on your screen and can record from there.

I dont' know much of camcorders but some of them have firewire output and some DVD recorders have firewire input. In that case it's a simple connection.. even with RCA A/V cables it's a simple connection though.

I don't believe that you can hook a DVD player to a DVD recorder to record copy protected movies. If you are playing a de-copy protected DVD in your player, it might have the possibility of recording but would not have the possiblity of recording if the DVD is copy-protected. This is just my understanding and I could be wrong. Best way to make movie DVD copies would be to use a computer DVD burner which can rip, re-encode, then burn the movie. I use a combination of DVD decrypter to rip, then CloneDVD to encode and burn.

I would suggest seeing if some are available at a pawn shop, garage sale, etc...Or a subscription to netflixx/walmart.

HTH(hope that helps)

People have different experiences buying something from a pawn shop. Mine have always been bad when it comes to electronics. I won't buy them in a pawn shop any more. Remember, when you buy a DVD player for example from a pawnshop, you're buying somebody else's problem. Also, there's no warrantee so if the thing stops working properly 3 days after you buy it, good luck.

I have a question about my DVD Apex player. I've had it for about 2 years now and never had a problem. I got it at Walmart. Now, whenever I put a DVD in the player, I see on the TV screen --"Disc Loading" and then it immediately switches to "No Disc". Anyone know what could be wrong?

I had a Mustek dvd burner that did this. The problem was fixed with a firmware update.

I'm not sure if that would be available on the Apex.

Check and see if they have a web site.

People have different experiences buying something from a pawn shop. Mine have always been bad when it comes to electronics. I won't buy them in a pawn shop any more. Remember, when you buy a DVD player for example from a pawnshop, you're buying somebody else's problem. Also, there's no warrantee so if the thing stops working properly 3 days after you buy it, good luck.

I have a question about my DVD Apex player. I've had it for about 2 years now and never had a problem. I got it at Walmart. Now, whenever I put a DVD in the player, I see on the TV screen --"Disc Loading" and then it immediately switches to "No Disc". Anyone know what could be wrong?

I was referring to her collection of VHS tapes. The OP said she had over 300 VHS tapes that she wanted to copy to DVD. My suggestion was instead of wasting 90-120 minutes copying each tape, she she look at a pawn shop or a place that sells used DVDs. Blockbuster? If she copies 10 tapes a day for 20 hours a day, it will take her a whole month to copy the tapes. 2 tapes a day will take 5 months. Or my other suggestion, netflixx, walmart DVD subscription.

Your disc good be bad that is why it's not loading in the dvd player.

Best Buy

* Lite-on DVD Recorder - $69.99 AR *

* Samsung DVD Recorder - $99.99

* Samsung Progressive Scan DVD Recorder - $99.99 AR

CompUSA

* Cyberhome DVR-1600 DVD Recorder - $79.99 AR

* JVC DVD Recorder / VCR Combo - $249.99

Costco

* DVD Recorder - $40 off

Radio Shack

* Presidian Dual Format DVD Recorder - $79.99 AR

Wal-Mart

* Cyberhome CH-DVR1200 DVD Recorder - $79.86 *

* DVD Recorder w/ VCR Combo - $168.87

If I just wanted to be able to Record VHS Movies to DVD, Which of these would be best to buy. I also have a VCR. Oh and Id Like to record TV Movies.

Veronica

HI guys...All I,m Looking for is a Dvd Recorder to just burn dvds..No Tapes....All I want to do is to get a Dvd ,put it in and Burn it so that I have a copy...Can someone PLEASE help me with which one is the best and the Cheapest to buy..:D ...ALso If it can be bought online....

So which ones look like the best and least expensive DVD players for cars? I have about $230 in BB bucks and so I was planning on buying a digicam and maybe their 7" portable DVD player, but I'm not sure if I would then have to spend another $80 or so to buy a kit to mount it safely in the car. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

ghost- you say "no tapes" but what exactly wiill you be making copies of? A dvd recorder is not a good idea to make copies of dvds if that's what you had in mind - you would buy a DVD burner for your computer if you want to do that.

If you want to transfer tapes to DVDs, or record TV programs/movies to DVDs, that's when you'd get a DVD recorder.

The disk is damaged like a crack or something ....look on the under side

Hey,

This is my first post, hope I'm asking in the correct place and I'm not repeating a question asked earlier. Does anyone know if any of the BF DVD recorders are compatable with DirecTV Tivo recievers? I don't think it's possible to burn the movies I already have on my Tivo (you can with non-DirecTV models) but will I be able to record programming as it airs through the DirecTV Tivo reciever? I know this is a confusing question, I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your help....But it seems like all the dvd burners are for the puter....You cant get one free standing?....

Most of them are internal DVD burners but there is one that will be on sale on BF that is external. Right now it's over $100 but it'll be $50 after rebate, I think, on BF. You still have to hook it up to your computer (looks like it connects via USB) but you don't have to actually install it inside your computer. I may be getting this one if I can get it online.

Well say someone lends me a DVD that I like ,and I want a copy for myself,I want something that i can use to tape that Dvd to my Blank Dvd..

Thats what I want...Are any of those on sale?...

It's illegal, but if you want to copy a DVD you should get a DVD BURNER for your PC. To play the dvd on your TV and then use a DVD RECORDER to copy the dvd will result in a poorer quality picture. You should use something like DVD Decrypter or DVD shrink to get the files copied off the DVD to your PC, then burn it to a blank DVD. Try mrbass.org for more info. HTH

It's illegal, but if you want to copy a DVD you should get a DVD BURNER for your PC. To play the dvd on your TV and then use a DVD RECORDER to copy the dvd will result in a poorer quality picture. You should use something like DVD Decrypter or DVD shrink to get the files copied off the DVD to your PC, then burn it to a blank DVD. Try mrbass.org for more info. HTH

Are those software programs you need to buy, or are they downloads?

back to the topics of DVD recorders though :)

1)anyone know if the sears daewoo DVD recorder plays DIVX?. The british daewoo site shows a very similar looking recorder which DOES playback DIVX, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

2)anyone have a very clear officemax ad/picture? the one posted here is not very clear, but from what I can see it looks to be a 1105HC and NOT an 1101. The 1105HC does play DIVX.. could be a good sign but does anyone have any specific info on the Officemax $69 AR recorder?

It looks like the COSTCO DVD RECORDER is a LITE-ON W/ an IEEE1394 input.

I wish i knew what model it is... All I know is that its ITEM # 955115.

I have no problems with a lite on, there is one model you can flash the memory so it will be region free.

To make back up copy's of your DVD's you will need to get a computer with a DVD burner.

The bad thing is the movie company's are always coming out with new encryption methods. I have ANYDVD running in the back ground as I either DECRYPT it with DVD DECRYPTER, or just SHRINK it with DVD SHRINK.

A Movie DVD is like 8+ gigs. the single sided blank DVD's are 4.7 gigs. Thats why you have to shrink them.

back to the topics of DVD recorders though :)

1)anyone know if the sears daewoo DVD recorder plays DIVX?. The british daewoo site shows a very similar looking recorder which DOES playback DIVX, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

2)anyone have a very clear officemax ad/picture? the one posted here is not very clear, but from what I can see it looks to be a 1105HC and NOT an 1101. The 1105HC does play DIVX.. could be a good sign but does anyone have any specific info on the Officemax $69 AR recorder?

I got the Daewoo from sears on their friends and family night and I do not remeber seeing anything in the manual about DIVX but I may be wrong. I would look again but the box and manual have already been stored away to make room for BF buys. Even though I go the daewoo, I think I am still going to try to get the cyberhome from walmart on BF and take the one I have back to sears. For some reason I do not like it, I think the reason being it is too much like a vcr. I want the capability of skipping comercials and whatever else can be done. The daewoo is pretty basic, I do like the fact that it can record on both dvd-r and dvd+r.

Does anyone know if the cyberhome will skip commercials? I think I read somewhere it did:yup:

It looks like the COSTCO DVD RECORDER is a LITE-ON W/ an IEEE1394 input.

I wish i knew what model it is... All I know is that its ITEM # 955115.

I have no problems with a lite on, there is one model you can flash the memory so it will be region free.

It is LVW-5115. No S-Video I/O for this model and most Lite-On on sale this Friday.