* Official Black Friday DVD PLAYER / RECORDER Thread *

i-bystander

We are seeing so many new threads about the various DVD recorders that we are going to have one central thread for discussion. This post will be updated shortly with information about each model available, and you can discuss them as much as you'd like in this thread :)

Best Buy

* Lite-on DVD Recorder - $69.99 AR *

* Samsung DVD Recorder - $99.99

* Samsung Progressive Scan DVD Recorder - $99.99 AR

CompUSA

* Cyberhome DVR-1600 DVD Recorder - $79.99 AR

* JVC DVD Recorder / VCR Combo - $249.99

Costco

* DVD Recorder - $40 off

Radio Shack

* Presidian Dual Format DVD Recorder - $79.99 AR

Wal-Mart

* Cyberhome CH-DVR1200 DVD Recorder - $79.86 *

* DVD Recorder w/ VCR Combo - $168.87

Is that Lite-On from Best Buy any good? I have (I think) $45 in Best Buy bucks and since they don't have the TV/DVD combo that I wanted, thought this might be good to get instead. I want a DVD recorder anyway and would try for the one at Walmart otherwise.

Is that Lite-On from Best Buy any good? I have (I think) $45 in Best Buy bucks and since they don't have the TV/DVD combo that I wanted, thought this might be good to get instead. I want a DVD recorder anyway and would try for the one at Walmart otherwise.

I'm not sure if the Lite On is any good. I bought a ilo from Walmart last BF. Well it died a few days ago. And me being the fixer that I seem to think I am..lol.. (NOT) I opened it up and looked inside to see if there was something noticably wrong with it. I didnt see anything ,but I noticed it had Lite On parts inside. I guess ilo is one of their products also.

Just make sure whatever you get, keep the box and paperwork for warranty. My warranty isn't over yet, but they won't honor it without box and paperwork. :mad:

Last Christmas I bought my son a Lite-on. He has burned the hell out of everything in sight and it still works great. He took all those kids VHS tapes that were almost worn out and transferred to DVD and they look great. He uses the thing all the time with no problems.

FYI: I just called my local sears to confirm the Friends and Familt Night and I asked about the daewoo dvd recorder. They said that they are a decent recorder for the price and they never had any come back. I asked what the normal price was on it since when the ad first came out I looked on the Sears website and couldn't find it. He said it was $129.99. I did find it on the website after I talked to him and the nice thing I saw was that it records on both dvd-r and dvd+r format.

I think I am going to pick this one up and try it out and if I don't like it I will get one of the other ones on BF and return the daewoo. Just thought I would let you know.

Lite on has a huge market share in the internal dvd drives in computers. They are a little less known for the external dvd recorders. Chances are you own or have owned a computer w/a lite on drive. They also have a feature called easy guider that makes it simple for a novice. Here's a little info on that from www.liteonit.com

Our unique Easy Guider Menu navigates you through the process of basic functions, like record and playback, on a step-by-step basis. This graphic-based Easy Guider provides error-free recording and is suitable for users of all ages. You can follow the below icons to start your recording!

Assuming we're talking only about set-top units, then yes, they all have tuners. They will all record TV shows or anything else via A/V inputs (although many models lack component input, despite having component output). Most DVD recorder/VCR combo units have built in dubbing functions, but they won't work with copy protected videos.

BTW, Meijer seems to have the same model on sale during that Friday and Saturday for $69.97 after rebate, and more expensive model for $89.97.

I guess the difference between the two models are the capibility of MPEG-4 playback and DivX® playback.

This will be a must for us this year. Does anyone know anything about the cyber one at walmart?

I've heard cyberhome's products are a POS. If you want to purchase a dvd recorder at wally world, may I suggest the $99 ilo, every day low price. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3610576

I've used it for a year, everyday, to record tv shows. No problems yet. Lack chase playback(watching a show from the start while the rest is still being recorded), but for $100 what do you expect? The outside of my box said Lite-On. I used to have Lite-On recorders for my PC.

BTW, Meijer seems to have the same model on sale during that Friday and Saturday for $69.97 after rebate, and more expensive model for $89.97.

I guess the difference between the two models are the capibility of MPEG-4 playback and DivX® playback.

I can't find the $89.97 one you mentioned, but the $69.97 Lite-On LVW1105 should support Divx, but it does not have S-video in/out.

OfficeMax also has a similar model (1101 or 1105) at the same price after rebate. The rebate amounts are different though. I think the Meijer's rebate is $20, OfficeMax is $30, and BestBuy is $50.

I wonder if there's anyway to "get around" the copy-protected thing. One of the main reasons I want one is to put all of our vhs movies onto dvd. Anyone know???

TIA

http://dvd-burning-software.topchoicereviews.com/

Top Choice Award

$59.00

Our Top Choice Award™ goes to 1Click DVD Copy for it's ease of use, flawless reproduction quality, and excellent customer service.

1Click DVD Copy is now the fastest DVD Copy software product in the world! What used to take 33 minutes to copy now takes 11 minutes (reference movie is "The Matrix") and since burning speeds have now reached 16X on most DVD writers, you can burn in as little as 4 minutes. 1Click DVD Copy also supports the copying of protected & encrypted DVDs. >> Read More...

FREE BONUS: For a limited time, when you purchase 1Click DVD Copy, you will also recieve CopyToDVD, a new generation tool that allows you to create music CDs from MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, etc. It also allows you to backup your music, video, photos and data files to DVD or CD. They give you this $29.99 software for free!

OK, let's assume I get either the one from Walmart, Sears, Meijer or Office Max. What blank DVDs do I get for it? I have BB bucks to use so I might as well use them on that.

Both LVW 1101 and 1105 have the same Manual. They both support dual media. That means DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW.