Christmas Cookie Recipes

bfaddict1977

ok glad someone said divinity....i try it and fail every year....HELP....I get it to peaks i pour the syrup in obnoxiously slow while beating...It just never sets up...i have like sticky patties of divinity....have tried multiple recipes and it always comes out same so i know it has to be ME lol

ok glad someone said divinity....i try it and fail every year....HELP....I get it to peaks i pour the syrup in obnoxiously slow while beating...It just never sets up...i have like sticky patties of divinity....have tried multiple recipes and it always comes out same so i know it has to be ME lol

Do you have a really good mixer? Mine never turned out very well until my husband bought me my KitchenAid.

Are you beating until it looses it's shine after dding the sugar? It really does take a while.

Have you checked your candy thermometer to ensure it's reading properly? You might not be coking the sugar long enough.

Let me check out my recipe when I get home and I might be back with more ideas.

It could have to do with where you live.(the divinity) I know with any cookies like that if it's a bit humid or damp they are going to come out wrong. meringue cookies are like that too. Any that you need to beat the egg whites and sugar.

Have kitchen aid (bought with divinity in mind actually LOL)

Use Digital Candy Thermo...Will double check calibration but divinity is my only fail other sugar candies are coming out ok

Maybe my idea of dull is not dull enough?!?!?

I am usually doing ALL my baking in 1 day/weekend....the humid may be it as it would be warm in kitchen

Divinity is my big thing at xmas. I make it especially for my grandma and mom. It is difficult and can fail, the biggest reason it isn't setting up is you are not beating it until it is ready. It takes 10-15 minutes of beating on high. You cannot start putting it out until it loses it's shininess. It not only loses its shininess, but you start to see ripples in it and it thickens very quickly. YOu then have only a couple of minutes to get it out of the bowl, that's why small batches using 2 egg whites is important. I never have a batch fail. Also, you have to have that syrup at the correct temp,265. I add 2 teaspoons powdered sugar at this stage to improve texture. I have been making this since I was 16, so that's 30 years. I go through mixers quickly too. BUrned up my 50 Cuisinart last year, but I will bet you aren't beating it long enough. The beater puts air into the candy and it cools it down. It has to reach a certain temp to set up.

Just saw this. I put my pics of my homemade marshmallows on my facebook page. My name is Lori Leverton, they are open for everyone to see. Line a cake pan with foil and butter it heavily. In a large bowl, sprinkle 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside. In a large heavy pan, combine 2 cups sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionallyu. cook until 240, which is soft ball stage. . Remove from heat and gradually add to gelatin. You really need a stand mixer for this, It takes about 15 minutes beating on high speed and the marshmallows grow very tall n the bowl. Beat in vanilla and spread in pan. Cover and let sit at room temp at least 6 hours. Lift out the foil and turn marshmallows upside down on buttered cutting board, Use a buttered knife to cut into squares and roll in colored sugar, cinnamon sugar, sprinkles, etc. They are very wet and appear to be sticky, but not really. They must be rolled or they will stick together.

I would love the homemade marshmallows recipe!