Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

* Official Black Friday LAPTOP Thread *

1326 replies to this topic

#91 hong2221  OFFLINE  

hong2221

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 7:12 pm

I'm getting paranoid that I won't get the laptop. Any suggestions to make sure I can get the laptop for sure? I'm pretty sure I'm waking up at 4:20am to get this laptop. And try to go out the night before to best buy asking for tickets. But besides that, what else should I do?

#92 sperdue  OFFLINE  

sperdue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 7:19 pm

I made a comparison table for $600 or less laptops. Check it out here:

http://blackfriday.g...com/laptops.htm

Let me know if other information or more laptops should be added.

I'd like either the Toshiba from Best Buy or the HP from Walmart. Which do you think is better?

Great job! I like this.

#93 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 7:22 pm

I'm getting paranoid that I won't get the laptop. Any suggestions to make sure I can get the laptop for sure? I'm pretty sure I'm waking up at 4:20am to get this laptop. And try to go out the night before to best buy asking for tickets. But besides that, what else should I do?

You should be paranoid because I can guarantee unless you live in a SMALL CITY, you will be 300th in line at 4:20 AM.

Why are you waiting so long to get in line? The laptops will be SOLD OUT before the doors even open. If you don't have a ticket = no laptop for you.

#94 Dural  OFFLINE  

Dural

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 7:52 pm

I'm going with the Toshiba for my mom, the Celeron M should be faster and have better battery life than the Sempron M plus I'd prefer Toshiba over HP. 1.5 hours seems too low for the Toshiba, does it only have a four cell battery? With my 9300 and eight cell battery that has a 17" lcd, faster Pentium M and GeforceGo 6800 I can get two hours with my lcd at the brightness I use when it is plugged in.

#95 DragonSlayer1500  OFFLINE  

DragonSlayer1500

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 7:53 pm

No need to be paranoid. I can tell you for a fact that if you don't even wake up til 4:20am, you won't be getting a laptop. You have to be in line MUUUUCH earlier than that.

#96 89MustangGX  OFFLINE  

89MustangGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 9:56 pm

I'm going with the Toshiba for my mom, the Celeron M should be faster and have better battery life than the Sempron M plus I'd prefer Toshiba over HP. 1.5 hours seems too low for the Toshiba, does it only have a four cell battery? With my 9300 and eight cell battery that has a 17" lcd, faster Pentium M and GeforceGo 6800 I can get two hours with my lcd at the brightness I use when it is plugged in.

It does only have a 4-cell battery, but in the Toshiba spec sheet they also list an 8-cell battery for it. I seems to me that if you buy the other battery you would get 3 hours out of it -- maybe more?

#97 Kingfalcon  OFFLINE  

Kingfalcon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 10:23 pm

It does only have a 4-cell battery, but in the Toshiba spec sheet they also list an 8-cell battery for it. I seems to me that if you buy the other battery you would get 3 hours out of it -- maybe more?

From what I can tell, you can get a 12-cell for the HP, so take that into consideration as well.

#98 richett1  OFFLINE  

richett1

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 10:39 pm

No need to be paranoid. I can tell you for a fact that if you don't even wake up til 4:20am, you won't be getting a laptop. You have to be in line MUUUUCH earlier than that.

No expert on this, but my wife bought the emachine desktop from BestBuy, Indianapolis last year and got in line at 6:30am with 400 people in front of her. They handed out vouchers.

They had $500 laptop vouchers left at CompUSA and I was in line at 6:00am (200 ppl in front of me). Except a stick of 256k ram I got everything I went for (bunch of wireless stuff and a 128M PCI Video card). My point is simply that those 200 people and I were in line for vastly different things. Maybe everyone saying get in line at 12:00am just thought the laptop vouchers were gone by 4:30am. Tons of the AOL PCs were left even through out the next week.

I'll give one caution though. Some people thought the guys at CompUSA were just handing out donuts/coffee and didn't know there were LapTop vouchers.

Anyone else get donuts and coffee? That sure is nice at 6:00 am.

#99 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 10:54 pm

richett1, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us :)

#100 samir  OFFLINE  

samir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:03 am

OK first was HP vs. Dell now HP vs. Toshiba. What is next?

#101 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:04 am

OK first was HP vs. Dell now HP vs. Toshiba. What is next?

We'll know after we see Circuit City's ad :)

#102 sperdue  OFFLINE  

sperdue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:35 am

Does anyone know if the Gateway having a 1.4 Celeron will effect the ripping speed when burning a dvd?

#103 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:42 am

Does anyone know if the Gateway having a 1.4 Celeron will effect the ripping speed when burning a dvd?

Yes it will as DVD ripping and burning is very CPU intensive.

My Dell Inspiron 700m laptop has a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz and I have no problems burning DVD's.

#104 Grannynannies  OFFLINE  

Grannynannies

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 5:33 am

+THe only thing that stinks about Comp USA laptop sales is that AOL $250 gift offer with a 12 month commitment!:mad:

#105 DragonSlayer1500  OFFLINE  

DragonSlayer1500

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 7:00 am

No expert on this, but my wife bought the emachine desktop from BestBuy, Indianapolis last year and got in line at 6:30am with 400 people in front of her. They handed out vouchers.

They had $500 laptop vouchers left at CompUSA and I was in line at 6:00am (200 ppl in front of me). Except a stick of 256k ram I got everything I went for (bunch of wireless stuff and a 128M PCI Video card). My point is simply that those 200 people and I were in line for vastly different things. Maybe everyone saying get in line at 12:00am just thought the laptop vouchers were gone by 4:30am. Tons of the AOL PCs were left even through out the next week.

I'll give one caution though. Some people thought the guys at CompUSA were just handing out donuts/coffee and didn't know there were LapTop vouchers.

Anyone else get donuts and coffee? That sure is nice at 6:00 am.

Kokomo, Best Buy, we were in line around 5ish and all the E-Machines vouchers were LONG gone. Must have more hardcore shoppers in Kokomo than in Indy.

#106 dlcdmk  OFFLINE  

dlcdmk

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 7:10 am

QUESTION TO TOO_N_V_US: What will the specifications of the Walmart laptop be? Like processor, CD drive, graphics card, etc?

#107 zgamer  OFFLINE  

zgamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 8:10 am

Kokomo, Best Buy, we were in line around 5ish and all the E-Machines vouchers were LONG gone. Must have more hardcore shoppers in Kokomo than in Indy.

I've been to two diff. best buy's in the milwaukee area in the last couple years...doors open at 6am. If you goto the one in the nicer side of town get there by 4:45 or you won't get anything, showed up at the one out by mayfair a little after 5:30 and there were like 30 people infront of me. It depends on the size of the area and what the community is like;)

#108 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 10:27 am

QUESTION TO TOO_N_V_US:

What will the specifications of the Walmart laptop be? Like processor, CD drive, graphics card, etc?

The spes can be found here

#109 jpeyton  OFFLINE  

jpeyton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 11:01 am

The OP should add the Staples Acer laptop, which I think is easily one of the best laptop deals on BF. The 8-Cell Lithium Ion battery caught my eye as a standout feature; that typically means battery life is in the 3+ hour range. $449 with no rebates means you're paying a little extra, but would you rather brave the crowds at Staples or at WalMart?

#110 storm0327  OFFLINE  

storm0327

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 11:03 am

Can we get the specs for the walmart laptop? Cheap is not always better! Thanks

#111 jason  OFFLINE  

jason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 11:14 am

does anyone know how many laptops each walmart will have?

#112 jason  OFFLINE  

jason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 11:17 am

is there any way to turn an internal dvd burner into an external one i have heard of turning an internal hard drive into an external but i don't know if it works the same way or what?

#113 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 11:49 am

storm0327 - HP laptop specs can be found here

jason - Yes you can turn an internal DVD Burner into an external. All you need is an external enclosure, FireWire is recommended over USB.

#114 LuvJoyLunaDawg  OFFLINE  

LuvJoyLunaDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:26 pm

Okay, I do BF every year, but I've never gotten a "big" ticket item before this year. I *need* the Best Buy laptop. So my question is, when do I get in line to guarantee that I will get one? I'm thinking about 11pm? Also, is that safe LOL? Thanks if you can help me.:)

#115 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:34 pm

LuvJoyLunaDawg, If you get in line at 11PM, you're almost guaranteed the Best Buy laptop. What city do you live in?

#116 jason  OFFLINE  

jason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:34 pm

where can i find an external enclosure how much are they and do they work good (just the same as an external one)

#117 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:35 pm

Jason - Please read my post again and click the link I provided.

#118 LuvJoyLunaDawg  OFFLINE  

LuvJoyLunaDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:36 pm

LuvJoyLunaDawg,

If you get in line at 11PM, you're almost guaranteed the Best Buy laptop.

What city do you live in?

Destin, FL. (inbetween Pensacola and Panama City)

#119 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:38 pm

Destin, FL. (inbetween Pensacola and Panama City)

If you get in line at 11PM your chances of getting the laptop are very good.

Is it safe? I don't know the neighborhood like you do, I'd recommend bringing a cell phone and a friend.

#120 LuvJoyLunaDawg  OFFLINE  

LuvJoyLunaDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 12, 2005 - 12:41 pm

If you get in line at 11PM your chances of getting the laptop are very good.

Is it safe? I don't know the neighborhood like you do, I'd recommend bringing a cell phone and a friend.

The area where Best Buy is is a brand new area. I'm thinking we should be fine but it does made me a little uncomfortable. I'll bring at least one other person with me, definitely. Thanks for your help!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users