Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

* Official Black Friday LAPTOP Thread *

1326 replies to this topic

#61 scenicphoto  OFFLINE  

scenicphoto

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 4:38 am

I love this website.

I appreciate the help already received from some of you in PM's as well as this Thread. Keep the tips coming!

:usflag: Happy Veterans Day to all you Veterans out there. My :howdy: is off to you. :usflag:

#62 reznaissance  OFFLINE  

reznaissance

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:19 am

:) Hi All, I'm a newbie to this wonderful gottadeal world. Thanks for all your info. I was wondering if I call Walmart or BB would they let just a regular customer know how many laptops will be shipped/received at their store or is that "classified information"/

#63 snickstx  OFFLINE  

snickstx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:33 am

The BB Toshiba Laptop looks pretty much the same as the one I posted yesterday. I did a little bit more looking, expecially since the listed price is out the door plus tax, no rebates. I found 4 different rebates.

$100 for the laptop itself
$60 for Toshiba case
$60 for Netgear 802.11g router
$100 for Epson CX4200 printer

I have not read all the fine print(any volunteers?) as I am at work, and I am sure the processors will try to find a way to invalid some of these but it's worth a try. Go here for the laptop then click on more for the rebate details. Also, if anybody can make out a model number in the ad, I would appreciate it, I'm blind.

#64 aperryman  OFFLINE  

aperryman

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:54 am

They actually told you? Did you talk to someone in electronics or what???

#65 jminer1  OFFLINE  

jminer1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:55 am

The BB Toshiba Laptop looks pretty much the same as the one I posted yesterday. I did a little bit more looking, expecially since the listed price is out the door plus tax, no rebates. I found 4 different rebates.

$100 for the laptop itself
$60 for Toshiba case
$60 for Netgear 802.11g router
$100 for Epson CX4200 printer

I have not read all the fine print(any volunteers?) as I am at work, and I am sure the processors will try to find a way to invalid some of these but it's worth a try. Go here for the laptop then click on more for the rebate details. Also, if anybody can make out a model number in the ad, I would appreciate it, I'm blind.

The model number is L25-S1192

#66 snickstx  OFFLINE  

snickstx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:58 am

The model number is L25-S1192

Thanks, well I guess it was all for naught. I can't find that model number on the website. I knew they would figure out a way to keep from giving these things away.

#67 astrong  OFFLINE  

astrong

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 8:09 am

What happened to the Toshiba Celeron laptop($399) at CompUsa? I am not seeing it in the ad.

#68 astrong  OFFLINE  

astrong

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 8:14 am

What happened to the Toshiba Celeron laptop($399) at CompUSA? I am not seeing it in the ad...

#69 snickstx  OFFLINE  

snickstx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 8:31 am

What happened to the Toshiba Celeron laptop($399) at CompUSA? I am not seeing it in the ad...

IIRC, that never came to fruition, it was part of the rumour stage. Also, most of their prices are after huge rebates.

#70 albrandwood  OFFLINE  

albrandwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 8:55 am

It is there ... but the $399 price is after the $250 GiftCard for signing up for AOL for a year (which costs $287 dialup or $180+ broadband)

@

#71 snickstx  OFFLINE  

snickstx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 9:23 am

It is there ... but the $399 price is after the $250 GiftCard for signing up for AOL for a year (which costs $287 dialup or $180+ broadband)

@

I've already said I'm blind, I checked the ad again but I couldn't find it. I saw the $299 Compaq but not the $399 Toshiba. What page are you seeing it on?

#72 sand  OFFLINE  

sand

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 9:34 am

How do we know where these sale items will be in the store when the doors open??

#73 TheDude  OFFLINE  

TheDude

Uhuhuh..Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 9:59 am

How do we know where these sale items will be in the store when the doors open??

Hi,
Most of the stores I know (BB, CC) will give out coupons(more like a piece of paper) to people standing in-line before they open the door, and after they open you probably will have to go to a counter of some sort to pickup the laptop.

They won't have them just laying around.

#74 ckostyun  OFFLINE  

ckostyun

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 10:41 am

New here, thanks for all the great info!

BB usually has all the computers behind the "Tech Bench" where they do the computer repairs. You take your "coupon" there and turn it in for whichever product(s) you want. This way there isn't the stampede that you hear about at other stores.

As far as other sale items, DVDs etc, I usually scout the store for general areas on Wed before BF, that usually gives me an idea of where I want to head.

Good Luck everyone!

#75 OKCowgirl  OFFLINE  

OKCowgirl

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 10:58 am

Okay ... anyone have the specs on this computer at Wal-mart?? HP Pavillion ze2308wm Notebook Computer I have searched on HP to find it ... but ... as you already know ... IT'S NOT THERE !! Thank PM me ... keep loosing my message on here. hehehe

#76 adster  OFFLINE  

adster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 11:15 am

I posted this over at FW, but wanted to spread it overe here...

After looking really hard at the scans and at the Gateway website, I was able to figure out the model number of the Gateway laptop. Gateway MX6030.

Here are the specs:
http://support.gatew...s/5378sp3.shtml

There is nothing about battery life in there, and I couldn't find it, however the Toshiba is supposedly only 1.5 hrs. The thing that disappoints me about the Gateway laptop is the video chipset, it's only and Intel Extreme 2 Graphics set with 32 megs of memory, while the Toshiba is an ATI X200 Radeon chipset with up to 128 megs of memory.

Also, the memory. The Gateway uses PC2700 DDR memory while the Toshiba uses PC4200 DDR memory. So you have to ask yourself, is the $200 worth the DVDR and the extra 20 gigs of harddrive space knowing the speed and quality of the RAM and video chipset is lower?

#77 sperdue  OFFLINE  

sperdue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 11:32 am

I posted this over at FW, but wanted to spread it overe here...

After looking really hard at the scans and at the Gateway website, I was able to figure out the model number of the Gateway laptop. Gateway MX6030.

Here are the specs:
http://support.gatew...s/5378sp3.shtml

There is nothing about battery life in there, and I couldn't find it, however the Toshiba is supposedly only 1.5 hrs. The thing that disappoints me about the Gateway laptop is the video chipset, it's only and Intel Extreme 2 Graphics set with 32 megs of memory, while the Toshiba is an ATI X200 Radeon chipset with up to 128 megs of memory.

Also, the memory. The Gateway uses PC2700 DDR memory while the Toshiba uses PC4200 DDR memory. So you have to ask yourself, is the $200 worth the DVDR and the extra 20 gigs of harddrive space knowing the speed and quality of the RAM and video chipset is lower?

I looked at that last night as well. Kind of disappointed in those specs, but I've had very good luck with Gateway in the past. From the looks of the ad scan, the Gateway has a dvd-rw, which none of the rest I've seen do.

#78 malachitecat  OFFLINE  

malachitecat

on cloud 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 12:53 pm

I'm new to this site and new to BF shopping. I am debating if I should get in line for the $398 laptop at WM or if I should just get the IC Power CN5560 that I have on layway. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

#79 ssawe  OFFLINE  

ssawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 1:51 pm

The BB store i went to (Santana Row , SJ)was new and very few people knew about it. Most people crowd at the Milpitas store.
The first guy in the line was a "group" of about 10 ppl who had come at 10pm ( the previous night).
Tickets were handed out, and each ticket had a number, my ticket number was i think 29 and there were about 50ppl in the line before me not all took the laptops (hence i did get one thankfully).
The store had only about 33 pieces . . Some people picked the tickets and never bought the laptops ( I met them the same evening at microcenter). From what i heard is that if ppl do not show up to buy the ticketed items, then those items are sold openely at 11 am.

However please note.
Each laptop box (at thepurchase counter) had a ticket number.
The laptop boxes were "opened" by BB ppl, when asked, the store guys told us that they had to do something before selling the laptops. (They may have removed something out of the box/machine, it does not make sense to sell something cheap and add something too).

The laptop has been fantastic all the while. The authorized service center chagned the motherboard for free to fix a problem, this was done while within the 1yr warranty period (thought towards the end of the warranty period).

What do you all think about the toshiba laptop at bb? Is it a early bird deal? How many should each store have?

#80 ssawe  OFFLINE  

ssawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 1:56 pm

BB guys, go out thru the line with a store map explaining what is where ( ususually).

I've already said I'm blind, I checked the ad again but I couldn't find it. I saw the $299 Compaq but not the $399 Toshiba. What page are you seeing it on?

#81 saluken  OFFLINE  

saluken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 2:20 pm

Toshiba Celeron M 370 Notebook w/ 256MB/40GB/WiFi/Combo Drive - $379.9 - from BB.

Any idea how many of them are on sale and when will BB open on BF. I will be on line standing first at any cost.

-P-

BB opens at 5 am this year, an hour earlier. They're also doing instant rebates. I wonder if this is to draw some from the Walmart crowd. There is a min. of 10 laptops per store.

Also, which is better, the Walmart HP laptop for $399 or the BB toshiba for $379?

#82 praveenml  OFFLINE  

praveenml

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 2:47 pm

BB opens at 5 am this year, an hour earlier. They're also doing instant rebates. I wonder if this is to draw some from the Walmart crowd. There is a min. of 10 laptops per store.

Also, which is better, the Walmart HP laptop for $399 or the BB toshiba for $379?

I think according to the reviews Walmart HP laptop is better since it has a sempron processor which is far much better than Intel Celeron.

#83 DaleRider  OFFLINE  

DaleRider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 3:01 pm

I think according to the reviews Walmart HP laptop is better since it has a sempron processor which is far much better than Intel Celeron.

On a side note, the HP/Compaq ownership experience overall, at least from a survey conducted by PC World (take this with as much salt as deemed necessary) is the poorest among those owning any laptop products. The HP/Compaq product is the lowest ranked notebook in their survey, surprisingly eMachines is tops. Second in the list is Apple, Dell comes in 5th after Medion (3rd) and Alienware (4th).

Link to PC Worlds's survey where readers rate the laptop manufacturers.

Just some more food for thought..........

#84 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 3:08 pm

Okay ... anyone have the specs on this computer at Wal-mart??
HP Pavillion ze2308wm Notebook Computer

I have searched on HP to find it ... but ... as you already know ... IT'S NOT THERE !!

Thank

PM me ... keep loosing my message on here. hehehe

HP laptops specs can be found here:
http://forums.gottad...61&postcount=75

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

Ross

I would buy the Toshiba @ BB over the HP @ WM

#85 msbranh  OFFLINE  

msbranh

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 3:10 pm

You will have to take a chance on the laptops. The avg store will get 25 with some getting up to 100. This item will also be on the web site that morning but will sell out just as fast. Good hunting!

#86 SelenaV  OFFLINE  

SelenaV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 3:40 pm

Does the IBM Thinkpad have a good reputation? Selena

#87 PooterMan  OFFLINE  

PooterMan

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 3:56 pm

Does the IBM Thinkpad have a good reputation?
Selena

The IBM thinkpad have been pretty solid for me in the past (I've purchased approximately 50 in the last 3-4 years for our company). However, that being said, the thinkpad division is now no longer IBM, it was sold off to Lenovo(China based company). At least for a while I doubt you will see any change, but long term I'm still reserving judgement. I've been picking up a few other laptops when we need one or two just to see whats out there. One thing I will just offer for an individual...BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES! Most laptops can even be purchased with accidental damage insurance. Laptops are expensive to repair or replace, an additional 100$ per year is well worth it when your daughter going off to college puts the laptop on top of the car and drives away with it still there (This happened to a coworker within the last month).

Happy Trails
PooterMan

#88 Da Puff  OFFLINE  

Da Puff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:08 pm

I made a comparison table for $600 or less laptops. Check it out here:

http://blackfriday.g...com/laptops.htm

Let me know if other information or more laptops should be added.

I'd like either the Toshiba from Best Buy or the HP from Walmart. Which do you think is better?

#89 89MustangGX  OFFLINE  

89MustangGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:20 pm

I noticed from the product specs on the BB Toshiba that it "starts at 5.88 pounds depending on configuration." Not sure if that's solid enough for you to include in your chart or not. As for which to choose -- I thought I was set on the HP, even though I'm not the biggest fan of HP/Compaq. Then I saw the Toshiba come through from BB with similar specs and I was sold. I really like the Toshiba laptops. I think I'd still go after it even if the price was equal or a little more than the HP.

#90 workhaute  OFFLINE  

workhaute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 11, 2005 - 6:26 pm

Last year my bb said they had a dozen toshiba laptops , yet they had at least 50 units I want to get another this year for my big bro.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users