Elf on the shelf

citrixgirl

Brianne - do a google search, it's really a neat idea... Kind of long to explain...

We have been doing it for the last 3 years now. Where hasn't the elf been?!?! lol lol fireplace mantle, top of the curtain rod, top of a lamp, sitting in a mug on a shelf, top of the tv, just about anywhere I can see a spot to put him where he is looking in the general area of the couch, loveseat and recliner.. lol I've even had to run down the next morning and move him because I forgot to do it the night before. lol

I am starting this year! got it at target 29.99 is for the book and the elf pricey but I think is a nice new tradition to start with my family...I am going to put the box in the front door on Thanksgiving day and say is a delivery from Santa ;) I know my two girls are going to enjoy this.

we just did this for the first time last year and my kids loved it! They keep asking me when he is going to come back! We are putting our tree up this weekend and I think that I will have him come that night! I'm not sure on ideas yet but my kids love him coming so I better get thinking of some!

I am going to put the box in the front door on Thanksgiving day and say is a delivery from Santa ;) I know my two girls are going to enjoy this.

I think that is a GREAT idea. If I can get a couple on clearance AFTER Christmas I'd love it for godson and nephew. If I mention it to BFF she'll get it beforehand and it'll help keep gs a little better behaved maybe? hmmm, it'll at least work for Mia which is at least part of the battle:P

This will be our third year. My mom bought this for my kids and we LOVE it! The elf has been about everywhere! Sometimes he's up to no good and hides in odd places like the pantry or the bathroom. He'll hide in the Christmas tree. Our elf comes out 12/1 and we read the story and all that. My kids look forward to this as well as Santa Tracker every year. I love holiday traditions!

THis will be our second year doing it. I think I like it just as much as the kids. Look back in the archives. there was a big thread about it last year. Lots of great ideas. Green dye in the toilet. Marshmellows all over the floor. TP all thru the house. 29.99 seems to be the price every where. We have a nice toy store and it was the same price there too. Cant wait till Dec. 1!!!

This is our second year, too. The kids LOVE it! They just asked tonight if "Ernie the Elf" is coming back to visit this year. He hid everywhere in our house last year - from the deer antlers, on the blades of the ceiling fans, from the light fixtures, peeking out from under the couch, sat on the windowsill, etc. Each of my kiddos has a tiny stocking that hangs on the tree and Ernie would leave a small note for them every morning. After they found Ernie, they would read the note he brought with him that was written by Santa, and then they could go to their stocking and get the treat that was in it. I know this is a memory my kids will cherish all of their lives!!! I wish something like this would have been around when my two oldest were growing up.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an elf that was the elf on a shelf before it was popular that my Gram used for my mom then Mom used for me and now he watches over DD....Good things those elves live a long time! :)

DD is bad about not brushing teeth....he has been known to hang out in the medicine cabinet...scared the crap out of DH one year LOL

This is our fourth year doing it. My kids LOVE it. They each have their own elf now. Our elves get silly sometimes too and do silly things. Last year my youngest son woke up with his underwear hung all over the Christmas tree. We have done snow angels in the kitchen floor with flour. They have also pulled all of the ornaments off of the Christmas tree, went fishing in the toilet (goldfish crackers and home made fishing pole). Last night all 4 elves had a marshmallow fight and their were marshmallows all over the family room floor.

This is our fourth year doing it. My kids LOVE it. They each have their own elf now. Our elves get silly sometimes too and do silly things. Last year my youngest son woke up with his underwear hung all over the Christmas tree. We have done snow angels in the kitchen floor with flour. They have also pulled all of the ornaments off of the Christmas tree, went fishing in the toilet (goldfish crackers and home made fishing pole). Last night all 4 elves had a marshmallow fight and their were marshmallows all over the family room floor.

Love it!!

We also have an "Elfie" the Elf. My sil sent him to us three years ago. My kids love him. He makes his appearance after we get our Christmas tree decorated. I had a terrible scare last weekend when I couldn't find him. We had just decorated the tree and the kids were soo excited that Elfie would be here in the morning. I looked for him on the top shelf in my bedroom closet where he has been living and he wasn't there! Two hours later and almost in tears, I found him in a piece of luggage that never gets used. I guess last Christmas Eve was a little hectic and I thought it would be a safe place for him. I was never so happy to see an elf before. My husband thinks we need a spare elf now just in case this happens again. I may see if I can find one after Christmas. It would be nice to have one for each of my kids so they can share them with their own families later. I wish they made different elves though. One child in my son's K class brought in a picture of his elf...also Elfie...and my son didn't stop talking about it for days. And the little girls next door to us just got the same elf and actually had him in their hands...you aren't supposed to touch him he might lose his magic. My son suggested we loan them our book so that they know the rules and don't touch him again. : )

A couple of days ago my kids were arguing in the yard and I snuck in the house and moved Elfie, came back outside and pretended to see Elfie peeking through the Christmas tree branches. The kids ran in the house and Elfie had moved! They really got excited about that. Now he moves just a little bit whenever I can safely do it without them walking in on me. My dd thought she saw him looking out the window at her yesterday and ran inside and saw that he had moved again. They tell him every night where he should be in the morning and when they wake up he's there. I just love our elf!