Walmart Black Friday opening time speculation/rumor thread

magst24

Doesn't the time they can open depend on location and city/state ordinances? Last year in MA, we went to a 24 hour Walmart for a sale we thought was to take place starting at midnight. They didn't open until 4 am because of the local ordinances.

it is true we jus had our meeting last night to setup for the "event" frist sale starts 10pm followed by the 4am sell..trust me i dont like it anymore than you do lol means ill be working 5pm- 5am

The 10pm sale will be for things like pjs and small home appliances and the 4am sale for big ticket items? Is that right?

so probably most people will go for the smalls and then get in line for the big items. In otherwords if you don't stay for for at least 6 hours the big deals will be gone. Doesn't sound like it is worth it. Edited by otonoh

I saw in my local newspaper yesterday where our county board of supervisors have given a local Walmart permission to open up at 2 a.m. on blackfriday and closed at midnight. I've never seen this before, I guess they have to ask permission since it's in a residential area.

I'm so ready! I live 10 minutes away from a WM, so here's our plan. We'll clean up from Thanksgiving (we have it at our house and the guests usually leave around 9), and then when the kids are in bed and my hubby is in his turkey coma, my brother and I will shoot up to WM to get some of the toy deals for my kids, then head across the street to Target to grab a few things, hit Kohls if we need to (it's in the same parking lot), and then head back home to hide the gifts and get some rest! Boom! No hanging out in lines at 3 a.m. for me this year. But then again, I'm not out for electronics so it's easier. I'm sure in a few years when my kids are teens it won't be this easy. Lol

I miss the good ole days when sales started at 5am and ended at 11am. not start at 10pm Thanksgiving night, that's when I go to bed to get up around 4 to be ready at 5am. Looks like I might have to get some WM deals online at 10pm, then swagger over there at 5am to see what's left. Wander over to a few places, grab breakfast, check Amazon and Newegg for deals, then sleep. By the way, anyone going to try WM online at 10?

I think that if shoppers don't go to the stores at these crazy hours then the stores will have to change them back. Speak with your wallets! Don't shop at all these Midnight and 10pm openings is you only feel like you "have to" - next year the stores will switch back to more reasonable times if the new hours prove unsuccessful.

I think that if shoppers don't go to the stores at these crazy hours then the stores will have to change them back. Speak with your wallets! Don't shop at all these Midnight and 10pm openings is you only feel like you "have to" - next year the stores will switch back to more reasonable times if the new hours prove unsuccessful.

If you don't... someone else will get the deals. I don't think they will switch back, IMO.

Has anyone else heard this? I was chatting with my favorite Walmart checkout person and we got to talking about how stores are opening for BF sales at midnight - she said Walmart was starting some of their specials at 10:00 p.m.? Can anyone else verify??

as i said it is true ..im in management and we already had our meeting telling our associates the first sale begins at 10pm the second at 4am...i was a black friday shopper long before i began working for walmart in the days when the sales began at 5 and lasted a few hours.. i realize changing times and customer incidents have forced people to review how it was always done and make adjustments but some of us who work there even believe change can go too far.. perhaps its the economy making retailers feel like they have to get your first dollar, perhaps its simple greed..please just try to remember when youre out there its not the workers who need to be yelled at(this happened to a few cashiers this week).. we dont make the rules we follow them..i wish you all the safest experience whether its our store or another..

If you don't... someone else will get the deals. I don't think they will switch back, IMO.

As much as I hate the new times, I agree with you. It's been going in this direction for a while. I will be shopping on bf most likely, but am not planning on getting any of the doorbusters. I'm unable to pull an all nighter after cooking/cleaning all day. It's ok though, it's my choice, it's just not worth the few bucks I might save.

Any store with half a brain would vie for the 2:00 a.m. slot now. With a few stores opening at midnight and the rest not until 5:00, you need somewhere to kill time- which leaves TRU. Which is where we were last year, with no toys on our list. No restaurants, shops, or bars were open, it was freezing cold outside, and we live an hour from town. Had another store been open, we would have capitalized on their sales, needed or not.

Any store with half a brain would vie for the 2:00 a.m. slot now. With a few stores opening at midnight and the rest not until 5:00, you need somewhere to kill time- which leaves TRU. Which is where we were last year, with no toys on our list. No restaurants, shops, or bars were open, it was freezing cold outside, and we live an hour from town. Had another store been open, we would have capitalized on their sales, needed or not.

I totally agree! We ended up sitting in the mall's food court just waiting for another store to open last year...I dunno if I'm gonna attempt to pull the all-nighter shopping, but it would be much easier if there was a store in the middle time slot for sure!

I think the hours getting earlier and earlier is going to backfire on these big box stores pretty soon. The thought is that the first guy to open wins... but that may not be true. If a person is waiting in line for target to open at midnight then they are not going to be shopping at walmart at 10pm. And of course the opposite can be said that if you are shopping walmart then you can wait in line at target. I think they will figure out in the near future that having there sale times 3-4 hours apart will help them both. Either way customers are going to shop at there stores for the sales and everything will be gone by noon anyways so why keep trying to out do the other guy. You dont see best buy opening earlier each year to try to be out walmart/sams/target electronics sales[/i].

this is funny because, well, NOW we do...... ugh.

Wise move by WM. 3 door buster opportunities that either keeps in you the store or keeps you coming back. Empty the wallets of the sheeple before the competition get's them in their door. This only works if they have something worthy of going in for at 8:00. Last year, the real door busters still happened at 5:00 am so there were hundreds of sleep deprived zombies wondering around WM from midnight to 5:00, spilling stuff, trying to sleep in the shelves and otherwise creating a fire harzard at the store.

Out of hand if you ask me. Next you will see big box retailers staying open on thanksgiving. :mad:

Walmart is open on Thanksgiving! My son had to work last year and he was not happy about it. He didn't even qualify for holiday pay because he hadn't been there long enough. This year he might work the morning shift if he can get holiday pay.:D

I have a feeling that your son got shafted. I don't see how he couldn't get holiday pay if he worked it no matter how long he had been there. I think they got away not paying some extra $$$ to a well-deserved individual.

Walmart can do whatever they want to their employees, they are non-union. ;)