Targets New Crowd Control Plan

bigjimslade

• 2 weeks later...

So how did this work at your store? I didn't have a problem with the store entry - it just took a bit longer. The front of the line who were only their for TVs were actually leaving the store by the time I got into the store.

The crowd control plan at Electronics was an EPIC FAIL. That's where my Target put the Kindles. I think they should have just put the Ipods behind the counter - but no. I still cannot see the logic in that. I mean they had $99 cameras on the shelves, $89 GPS units in the aisle, $300 TVs in the aisle, $100 bluray players in the aisle. Why put the $85 Kindle behind the counter and then only staff it with 2 people? I stook in that line for almost an hour.

The entrance with the crowd control barrier things have always been at my Target. They did have a poilce officer at the front of the line.

So in my mind, I see a line being forced around the building with line divider barrier thingys (think the ropes from Disney) and I would barricade the other entry doors, and stick security in front of them, so that no one can enter. Another two or three security people counting people to let them in and then shutting the door.

They do this at the Coach outlets!

Inside the store, just let the free for all commence, I guess. At least you'll have a 30 second head start?

That's exactly how my Target did it this year.

This worked perfectly at my store this year...they had barricades, which they haven't used in past years, so the line was behind them. There were people who were across from the store who you would normally think were going to rush the doors once they opened, but Target had employees and security out from about 9 o'clock, telling everyone how it was going to work. About 15 to 20 minutes before the store opened, there were a couple of cops there too, so there was no way anyone who wasn't in line, was getting into the store before those of us that were. The employees in electronics were clueless, and honestly, they held me up much longer than any of the rest of the experience entering the store did...

This worked perfectly at my store this year...they had barricades, which they haven't used in past years, so the line was behind them. There were people who were across from the store who you would normally think were going to rush the doors once they opened, but Target had employees and security out from about 9 o'clock, telling everyone how it was going to work. About 15 to 20 minutes before the store opened, there were a couple of cops there too, so there was no way anyone who wasn't in line, was getting into the store before those of us that were. The employees in electronics were clueless, and honestly, they held me up much longer than any of the rest of the experience entering the store did...

:yup: this is exactly how it went at my store too

As much as I didnt like this when I first read it, I actually thought it was pretty good. The Target I was at had the barriers, then had employees about 10-15ft apart. There was a squad by the front of the door (There was a cart barrier and some rope for a little ways). The employees handed out a piece of paper 30minutes prior to opening that they gave to one person. The paper had Group and a number. So Im guessing they counted a certain amount of people and then when you got to the door you had to wait like 10-15 seconds. You barley even noticed it as the line was moving. The employees would point out to all of us the line jumpers and told us to hold our grounds but dont get violent on Target property. LOL

Checking out at that Target was even easier as they divided the middle of the isle way where the registers were with caution tape and poles. As you approached the area they would tell you what lane to go to which was 3 people deep. Once the line got longer to proceed to checkouts they snaked up and down the health isles & had people making sure there were no line jumpers and told people how to proceed. So much easier than the free for all at Walmart. We even told one of the employees that & he said Walmart doesnt care about us & Target is the best store in the world with a plan! LOL

The staff was excellent and the entire store at New Berlin Target gets my thumbs up!

Don

The target near my work had a barricade set up on Wednesday outside for the line and had taped the ground for the checkout so you knew where to go if you went to target before thanksgiving. the target near my home didn't... and I heard they were closed for a while by the fire marshall because there were too many people.

• 2 weeks later...
I had to wait a little longer after the doors opened up but I liked this plan. I think it showed alot of thought on Target's part to give people time to get through the door and go to where they wanted before the next group went in. It worked well in Charleston, WV. I hoep they do it again next year.