Contest: Post a Recipe & Win a Black Friday T-Shirt [Winners Posted]

Brad

I post this in tribute to one of my favorite Cincinnati rib joints -- Burbanks on Dowlin Drive in Sharonville. When I visited, I stayed at a neighboring hotel with a hole in the fence because it was convenient to slip through for dinner. Duke's Drunken Steak, Momma 'n Em's Southern Fried Farm Raised Cafish, Smoked Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Collard Greens, and, of course...

Miss Carol's Sweet Potato Casserole!

Yield: 8 servings.

3 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes

1/2 c. white sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 stick margarine, melted

1/2 c. raisins (optional)

1/2 c. milk

1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c. light brown sugar

1/2 c. flour

1 c. chopped nuts

1/3 stick margarine

Mix first eight ingredients together and place in 9×9 glass pan. Mix remaining ingredients and spread on top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until heated through. Recipe may be doubled. Enjoy!

We started serving this Thanksgiving after I found the recipe on the web. Now you have it too!

Thanks Brad! I always love this thread, I get such great new recipes to try!

Ok this first one is a tried and true that I have to make year after year......plus numerous times throughout the year lol.

Dirt Cake: (best if made night before)

1 pk Oreo Cookies (crushed) I normally use a blender or food processor for this.

2 boxes vanilla instant pudding

3 1/4 c. milk

8 oz pk cream cheese (room temp)

1 stick butter (room temp)

1 c. powdered sugar

1. large cool whip thawed

Mix pudding and milk, set in fridge.

Combine cream cheese and butter then add powdered sugar.

Fold cool whip into pudding mixture then add the cream cheese mixture.....mix well.

In a large bowl, alternate layers of crushed oreo and pudding mixture. The top layer should be crushed oreo.

For a fun twist, do this in several flower pots, add silk flowers and gummy worms......waalaa, "Dirt Cake" lol.

Here's another one that I absolutely LOVE but I don't know the name for lol. I tried it at a get together one time, begged for the recipe and while I was able to get the recipe, I didn't get the name of it lol. I just call it "Strawberry Stuff" (Don't laugh!)

Strawberry Stuff: (best if made night before)

2 quarts fresh strawberries sliced

1 bag vanilla wafers

8 ounce cream cheese softened

1 can condensed milk

12 ounces cool whip

Mix together cream cheese and condensed milk. Next fold in cool whip then add strawberries and mix well. In a 9x13 dish, layer bottom with wafers, then mixture. Continue layering till mixture is gone. Decorate top with whole strawberries and wafers.

THis is a favorite recipe of mine, I have cheated and made this using a good box mix and still comes out yummy!

Peppermint Patty Brownies

Servings: 12

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups margarine

3 cups white sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

5 eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

24 small peppermint patties

Directions:

1. Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs till well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Blend well.

2.Reserve 2 cups of batter, set aside

3. Grease 13x9x2 inch pan. Spread remaining batter in prepared pan. Arrange peppermint patties in a single layer over batter about 1/2 inch apart.

4. Spread reserved 2 cups batter over patties. Bake 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50-55 minutes till brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Enjoy!!!

This really isn't a "holiday" recipes but I get asked to bring these...

Hot Wing Dip

2pk Philidelphia Cream Cheese

1 jar (12oz) Hooter's Hot Wing sauce (med or hot whatever you like)

1 lg can Chicken (or 2 small cans)

1 4cup pkg Moz Cheese

Ranch Dressing (if you desire)

Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a glass 9x13 dish

Mix wing sauce and chicken in a bowl (chicken needs to be drained and chopped up by a fork)

Pour sauce/chicken mix over cream cheese

Drizzle Ranch dressing over if you want to add it. (amount is up to you)

Top with Moz cheese

Cook for 35 mins at 350 degreese

When it is done cooking I pour it into a bowl while it is still hot and mix it up. I serve it with tortilla chips. I serve it warm but I guess that is up to you.

Grandma's Cookies (I call them that because I use to make these with her)

Cream together:

1 cup butter

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla

Mix in another bowl:

2 cups flour

2 1/2 cups oatmeal

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder before mixing with flour.

Blend powder mixture with butter mixture. DO NOT OVER MIX

Then add:

12 oz chocolate chips

4 oz Hershey Bar (grated)

1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

Just blend together...DO NOT OVER MIX

Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet

Bake for 10 mins at 375 degrees

Makes 56 cookies

this comes from Taste of homes and was a big hit

Mallow-Topped Sweet Potatoes Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps19077_TH10300_C33A.jpg

10-12 Servings Prep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.

Ingredients

6 cups hot mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)

1 cup 2% milk

6 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

18 large marshmallows

Directions

In a large bowl, beat the sweet potatoes, milk, butter, brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg until smooth.

Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Top with marshmallows. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until marshmallows just begin to puff and brown. Yield: 10-12 servings.

I've made this three years in a row

Turkey Cheese Ball Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps38181_CW1191757D18.jpg

24 Servings Prep: 45 min. + chilling

Ingredients

2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese

6 ounces deli smoked turkey, finely chopped

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

DECORATIONS:

3 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons 2% milk

Brown, orange and yellow paste food coloring

6 large oval crackers

1 large sweet red pepper

1 small yellow summer squash

1 cup pecan halves

Assorted crackers

Directions

In a small bowl, beat the first six ingredients until combined. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

In another small bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Divide among four small bowls. With food coloring, tint one bowl brown, one dark orange and one light orange (using yellow and orange); leave one bowl plain.

Transfer each mixture to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of each bag.

For turkey tail feathers, decorate the top halves of large oval crackers with tinted cream cheese.

Using the red pepper, form the turkey head, neck and wattle. For beak, cut a small triangle from summer squash; attach with cream cheese. Add eyes, using brown and plain cream cheese. Insert pecan halves and decorated crackers into cheese ball. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 1 cheese ball (3 cups).

Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Townhouse Oval Bistro crackers.

every Christmas morning

French Toast Casserole Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/expsi11511_W101973175D11_05_2b.jpg

12 Servings Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing

Ingredients

1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes

8 eggs, lightly beaten

3 cups 2% milk

4 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon salt

TOPPING:

2 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Maple syrup, optional

Directions

Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.

Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.

forgot one

Candy Bar Pie Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps19224_QC10253D40A.jpg

6-8 Servings Prep: 10 min. + chilling

Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each)

1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)

Directions

In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Crush the candy bars; fold 1 cup into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with remaining candy bar crumbs. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.

one more

Pretzel Dessert Recipe

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps15752_TH10194C13.jpg

16 Servings Prep: 20 min. + chilling

Ingredients

2 cups crushed pretzels

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup butter, cubed

2 envelopes whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)

1 cup cold 2% milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, sugar and butter; set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Press the remaining mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.

In a large bowl, beat the whipped topping mix, milk and vanilla on high speed for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add cream cheese and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.

Spread half over crust. Top with pie filling and remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved pretzel mixture. Refrigerate overnight. Yield: 16 servings.

I have made everyone of these multiple times always get rave reviews

Edited by Illinoismom

http://familyfun.go.com/assets/cms/recipes/marshmallow-pilgrim-hats-thanksgiving-recipe-photo-80-FF1101THANKA17.jpg

I haven't tried these yet, but they will be on this year's list of desserts. If nothing more they'll be a fun recipe to try with my godson with the added bonus of being delicious too. How can you go wrong with chocolate and marshmallows?

Marshmallow Pilgrim Hats

Ingredients

24 chocolate-striped shortbread cookies

12-ounce package of chocolate chips

24 marshmallows

tube of yellow decorators' frosting

Instructions

Set the chocolate-striped cookies stripes down on a wax-paper-covered tray, spacing them well apart.

Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave or double boiler.

One at a time, stick a wooden toothpick into a marshmallow, dip the marshmallow into the melted chocolate, and promptly center it atop a cookie.

Using a second toothpick to lightly hold down the marshmallow, carefully pull out the first toothpick.

Chill the hats until the chocolate sets, then pipe a yellow decorators' frosting buckle on the front of each hat.

I've made those 2 years in a row for the elderly dinner I host

Easy, no cook candy

2 lb. almond bark

1 c. dry roasted peanuts

2 c. miniature marshmallows

2 c. Rice Krispies

2 c. Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal

Melt bark in 200 degree oven. Place all other ingredients in a very large bowl and mix. Pour melted bark over mixture and mix well. Drop by teaspoons on waxed paper.

FRENCH CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS CANDY

12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

1 c. chopped walnuts

3/4 c. Eagle Brand Milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. salt

2 or 3 bottles chocolate sprinkles

Melt chocolate chips over medium heat, stir in nuts, milk, vanilla and salt. Cool 5 minutes and shape into 2 inch balls and roll in chocolate sprinkles. Makes about 50 pieces of candy.

A super easy one that went over really well last year....

use the break and bake chocolate chip cookie dough, bake in a mini muffin pan according to directions on the package, when the cookies are done stick in a mini reese cup

another really easy but tasty dessert is to use mini pretzels with a rolo on top..melt on low in oven then place a pecan on top to smoosh down then you can sprinkle with festive holiday sprinkles

Our Favorite Holiday Cookie!

BUTTERBALL COOKIES

1 c. soft butter

1/2 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted

1 tsp. vanilla

2 1/4 c. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 c. finely chopped walnuts

Time: 10-12 minutes per batch.

1. Blend first three ingredients.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients until dough is formed.

3. Roll into balls and place on UNGREASED cookie sheet.

4. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes in 400 degree oven.

5. After removing from oven, while cookies are still warm, roll in confectioners' sugar.

This is yummy and easy to make.

Chocaroon Pie

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1/2 cup unsalted butter

3 eggs

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

2 2/3 cup flake coconut

Heat oven to 350*. Coat a 9" pie plate with non-stick spray.

Melt chocolate and butter on low. Stir together eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla, add to chocolate mixture, stirring to blend. Pour into prepared pie plate. Combine sweetened condensed milk and coconut, spoon over center of chocolate filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until center is firm, but till moist.

Makes 10 servings

I just made this cake last week for Homecoming at my church. This was yummy and got a lot of compliments.

Preacher Cake

Ingredients:

2 c sugar

2 c all-purpose flour

2 eggs

2 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

½ c nuts

1 can(s) 20 ounces crushed pineapple - undrained (I use pineapple in its own juice)

Frosting:

1 pkg 8 ounce cream cheese - softened

1 ¾ c powdered sugar

¼ c butter or margarine

¼ tsp salt

½ c nuts

2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients; add remaining ingredients, and mix by hand. Bake in a 9 x 13 prepared pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. * If you would like to save calories, instead of using the frosting, just sprinkle top of cake with a bit of powdered sugar and enjoy! * There is NO milk, butter, or oil in the cake. * You may add other fruits or coconut if you like: some suggestions are: dried cranberries, raisins, currants, tub of mixed dried fruit, and even fresh blueberries. * I suggest that you may cut the sugar to 1 cup as it is very sweet. I often cut the sugar in recipes.

Frosting:

Mix well and spread on cake in pan. Enjoy!

Bobby's Caramel Cake

Ingredients

For the cake:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar

4 eggs

3 cups sifted self-rising flour

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the filling:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

2 cups packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup milk

For the frosting:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/3 cup heavy cream, or more if needed

1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar

1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Directions

For the cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add granulated sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4-inches above counter dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

For the filling:

While cake is baking, in a saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Pierce cake layer with a toothpick over entire surface. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again.

*Cook's Note: As I stack layers together, I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting.

For the frosting:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until it reaches a spreading consistency. At this time it may be necessary to add a tablespoon of heavy cream, or more, if frosting gets too thick. Just be sure to add cream is small amounts because you can always "add to", but you can't take away. Frost cake and sprinkle top with chopped nuts, if desired.

Ingredients

40 fudge-striped cookies

1/4 cup chocolate frosting

2 packages (5 ounces each) chocolate-covered cherries

20 pieces candy corn

Directions

Place 20 cookies on a flat surface, solid chocolate side down. With frosting attach a chocolate-covered cherry to the top of each base cookie. Position another cookie perpendicular to each base cookie; attach with frosting.

With a dab of frosting, attach one piece of candy corn to the front of each cherry for the head. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.

Ingredients

1 cup vanilla frosting

7 drops yellow food coloring

32 miniature peanut butter cups

1 package (11-1/2 ounces) fudge-striped cookies

32 pieces orange mini Chiclets gum

Directions

In a small shallow bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Remove paper liners from peanut butter cups.

Holding the bottom of a peanut butter cup, dip top of cup in yellow frosting. Position over center hole on the bottom of cookie, forming the hatband and crown. Add a buckle of Chiclets gum. Repeat with remaining cups and cookies. Yield: 32 cookies

Wether you have kids or just love being the talk of the evening try making these cute holiday cookies-I'm sure your guests will gobble them up and give thanks-LOL!!!! Enjoy :)

Ingredients

40 fudge-striped cookies

1/4 cup chocolate frosting

2 packages (5 ounces each) chocolate-covered cherries

20 pieces candy corn

Directions

Place 20 cookies on a flat surface, solid chocolate side down. With frosting attach a chocolate-covered cherry to the top of each base cookie. Position another cookie perpendicular to each base cookie; attach with frosting.

With a dab of frosting, attach one piece of candy corn to the front of each cherry for the head. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.

Ingredients

1 cup vanilla frosting

7 drops yellow food coloring

32 miniature peanut butter cups

1 package (11-1/2 ounces) fudge-striped cookies

32 pieces orange mini Chiclets gum

Directions

In a small shallow bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Remove paper liners from peanut butter cups.

Holding the bottom of a peanut butter cup, dip top of cup in yellow frosting. Position over center hole on the bottom of cookie, forming the hatband and crown. Add a buckle of Chiclets gum. Repeat with remaining cups and cookies. Yield: 32 cookies

Wether you have kids or just love being the talk of the evening try making these cute holiday cookies-I'm sure your guests will gobble them up and give thanks-LOL!!!! Enjoy :)

I have made both of these several times

orange chicklets are not easy to find

Holiday Cranberry Ambrosia

Grind 1 cup fresh cranberries and mix with 1 cup sugar.Let stand all night in refrigerator.

Next day add 1 can crushed pineapple,drained (approx.2 cups) and 2 cups mini marshmallows.

Whip 1 pt. whipping cream (or use Cool Whip). Add cranberry mixture to whipping cream and fold together slowly.

Add chopped nuts to top,if you want.

I'm not sure where my mother came across this recipe but it has become a family favorite. We typically triple the recipe because it reheats well and everyone usually eats a ton!

Shrimp Dip

3 bricks cream cheese

1 small tomato, diced

1 small purple onion, diced

1 tsp garlic juice

4-6 hot banana peppers, diced

4-6 sweet chili peppers, diced

12-14 ounces frozen baby/salad shrimp

1. Melt cream cheese over medium to low heat.

2. Add all remaining ingredients, stir well.

3. Heat through and until shrimp are hot.

4. Serve with tortilla chips.

*We will sometimes prepare this in our slow cooker so it can stay on warm, particularly during a party where guests will be eating at leisure.

*The recipe is easily modified and you can include any of your favorite types of peppers. Add more cream cheese if you like a thinner dip.

These are my families favorite cookie... you get the great chocolate cookie with a great caramel center!

(You can add pecans to the sugar you roll them in prior to baking if you wish.. gives it a nice extra something )

Rolo Cookies

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Cook Time: 7-10 minutes

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup cocoa

1 cup butter, at room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup light brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Bag of Rolo candies, unwrapped

Sugar (for rolling the cookie dough balls in)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.

3. With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next, add in vanilla extract. Mix until blended.

4. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and blend well. Take a spoonful of chocolate cookie dough and wrap around one Rolo candy. Make sure Rolo is completely covered with cookie dough. Roll dough ball in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until you run out of cookie dough.

5. Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.

Chocolate Mice

Ingredients

4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate

1/3 cup sour cream

1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs

1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbs

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

24 silver dragees decorating candy

1/4 cup sliced almonds

12 (2 inch) pieces long red vine licorice

Directions

1. Melt the chocolate, and combine with sour cream. Stir in 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs. Cover and refrigerate until firm.

2. Roll by level tablespoonfuls into balls. Mold to a slight point at one end (the nose).

3. Roll dough in confectioners sugar (for white mice), and in chocolate cookie crumbs (for dark mice). On each mouse, place dragees in appropriate spot for eyes, almond slices for ears, and a licorice string for the tail.

4. Refrigerate for at least two hours, until firm.

Edited by casey49781
add photo

Easy OREO Truffles

Recipe Rating:

Prep Time: 30 min

Total Time: 1 hr 30 min

Makes: 3-1/2 doz. or 42 servings, one truffle each

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (1 lb., 2 oz.) OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

Directions:

CRUSH 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter.

DIP balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.

REFRIGERATE until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

Mint Thins

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (8 squares) Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate (or 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips), melted and slightly cooled

1/4 tsp. Peppermint Extract (or 1/8 tsp. Peppermint Oil)

1 sleeve Ritz Crackers (about 36 crackers)

1 candy cane (6 inch), crushed

Directions:

Mix chocolate and peppermint extract. Dip crackers in chocolate, turning to completely coat each cracker. Remove with tongs and carefully scrape off excess chocolate. Place crackers in single layer on waxed paper-covered baking sheets; sprinkle with crushed candy.

Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm.

Variations:

1) Instead of topping with crushed candy cane, use a microplane grater and grate peppermint stick on top.

2) Chocolate-Peanut Butter “Cookies” – Omit peppermint extract and candy cane. Spread each cracker with thin layer of peanut butter before dipping in the melted chocolate.

MAKE AHEAD ALL DRESSED UP MASHED POTATOES!

What You Need:

2-1/2 lb. (1.1 kg) Yukon gold potatoes (about 6), peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks 2 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated margarine 1 cup sour cream, divided 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided 1 pkg. (79 g) Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Recipe Pieces, divided 1 cup Kraft Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese Make It

COOK potatoes in boiling water in large saucepan 15 to 20 min. or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add margarine and 2/3 cup sour cream; mash until potatoes are smooth. Stir in 2/3 each of the chives and bacon.

SPREAD into 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature; cover. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator 20 min. before baking.

HEAT oven to 400ºF. Bake potatoes, covered, 20 to 25 min. or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; bake, uncovered, 3 to 5 min. or until melted. Serve topped with remaining sour cream, chives and bacon.

Nutty Holiday Log

ingredients

1 cup finely chopped walnuts

1/3 cup plus 5 teaspoons sugar, divided

1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

8 sheets phyllo dough (9-by-14-inch), thawed

Canola oil cooking spray

Topping

1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

directions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

To prepare logs: Combine nuts, 1/3 cup sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl.

Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean, dry surface. Coat thoroughly with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of phyllo and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle one-quarter of the walnut mixture (about 1/3 cup) evenly over the phyllo.

Using a sharp knife, cut the large phyllo rectangle lengthwise into 3 strips then in half crosswise to form 6 smaller rectangular strips.

Beginning at the short ends, loosely roll each strip into a neat log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and walnut mixture.

Place the logs about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.

Bake the logs, in batches, until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.

To prepare topping: Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on High for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave for 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Transfer the chocolate to a plastic sandwich bag. Snip off one corner, being careful not to make the opening too large. Squeeze the melted chocolate decoratively across the top of each cooled log. Let stand at room temperature until the chocolate is completely set.

My daughter and I have made these the past two years. YUMMY !!

Rachel Ray’s Fudge Wreaths

1 bag semi sweet chips

1 cup butterscotch chips (or peanut butter or caramel chips)

1 small can condensed milk (14 oz)

1 tbls vanilla

Melt this all in a pot and when done, throw in handfuls of raisins, peanuts and marshmallows (R.R. did walnuts and raisins) and mix. Scoop it into a cake pan with the condensed milk can in the center (wrapped in plastic wrap) to make it shaped like a wreath. Stick it in the fridge for about 1/2 hour or so and it's done.

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls (aka Copycat Cinnabon Rolls)Ingredients:

-1 cup warm milk

-2 eggs, room temperature

-1/3 cup margarine, melted

-4 1/2 cups bread flour

-1 tsp salt

-1/2 cup white sugar

-1 packet Active Dry Yeast

For the filling:

-1 cup brown sugar, packed

-2 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

-1/3 cup butter, softened

For the frosting:

-1 (8oz) package low-fat cream cheese

-1/2 cup butter, softened

-3 cups confectioners' sugar

-1 tsp vanilla extract

-1/4 tsp salt

-2 tbsp milk (I added to get a slightly runnier consistency)

Directions:

1. Pour yeast into warm milk and allow to dissolve.

2. Mix eggs, sugar, salt, and melted margarine in a large mixing bowl. Stir in milk/yeast.

3. Add flour to the mixture and, using the dough hook on your mixer, mix until soft dough is formed. Continue kneading by mixer for 3-4 minutes (could probably also do this by hand).

4. Place dough into a large bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour

5. After rising, roll dough into a (approximate) 16 x 21 inch rectangle.

6. In a small bowl, mix softened butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Drop chunks of the mixture onto the dough. Spread as evenly as you can with a knife or your hands.

7. Roll up the dough into a long rope and cut into 12 even rolls.

8. Place rolls into a lightly greased 9 x 13 in baking pan.

**To bake immediately:

Allow rolls to rise for approximately 30 minutes, until doubled in size. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Invert rolls onto serving platter to allow cinnamon sugar mixture to drip onto rolls. Beat together frosting ingredients and spread onto rolls before serving.

**To freeze & bake later:

Cover baking pan with plastic wrap and foil (or cover). When ready to bake, remove from freezer and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight. In the morning, place them on the counter while the oven is preheating. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Invert rolls onto serving platter to allow cinnamon sugar mixture to drip onto rolls. Beat together frosting ingredients and spread onto rolls before serving.

post-132940-137262195276_thumb.jpg

More Gluten-Free Holiday Cookie and Candy Recipes

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1 cup superfine brown rice flour (source link below)

* 1 cup arrowroot starch

* 2 teaspoons ground ginger (use 1 teaspoon if you don't like a heavy ginger taste)

* 1 teaspoon cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoons guar gum

* 1/2 cup dark, unsulfered molasses

* 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

* 1/4 cup softened butter (1/2 stick)

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* Extra rice flour for dusting when rolling and cutting out cookies

* 1 recipe for Royal Icing (recipe link below)

* 1 recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (recipe link below)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease

1. Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside.

2. Cream butter and sugar, beating on high speed for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.

3. Add molasses and vanilla and beat until combined.

4. Slowly add dry, sifted ingredients to butter mixture and beat just until a stiff dough forms.

5. Place dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap lightly dusted with sweet rice flour. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick.

6. Dip gingerbread cookie cutter in sweet rice flour and cut out gingerbread men. Use a flour-dusted spatula to transfer cookies to baking sheet. If the dough should get too soft while you are working with it, just place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.

7. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until cookies are firm to the touch. Cool and decorate with Royal Icing and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Arroz Con Leche (Rice Pudding – Spanish Style)

Materials:

2 liters of whole milk

1 cup of Valencia type rice

3 cups of water

2 cups white sugar

2 cinnamon sticks (cut in half)

2 small pieces of lemon peel

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

1 large 3 qt pot

Steps:

Rinse 1 cup of Valencia rice with water

Put the rice and 3 cups of water in a large 3 qt pot over low-medium heat

Add the 2 pieces of lemon peel and cinnamon sticks to the water

Let the water heat up but not to a boil stirring occasionally

Once the rice has been soaking for a while (7-10 minutes) add the milk, sugar and vanilla extract

Keep the heat at medium, stirring occasionally at the beginning (every 10 minutes), but almost constantly once the milk begins to thicken (about 1 hour) – this will prevent the milk from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pot.

It will take about 1 ½ - 2 hours for the milk and rice mixture to thicken to the proper texture.

Remove the lemon peels and cinnamon sticks from the arroz con leche before pouring into another container. You can eat it warm or if you prefer you can cool it in the fridge and then eat it. Either way it’s – delicious!!!

Wedding Cookies, the most requested cookie I make besides Fudge

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQdDyLTo0B5tUN8G2DuzLzIxZZeLlXL_x8LW7hQZOVrva7kNLVJF6wHQ:jerlinewilson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mexican-wedding-cookies.jpg

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 cup butter, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups all-pupose flour

1 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans

1/4 teaspoon salt

powdered sugar

Pre-heat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Blend well. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together. Shape into 1-inch balls ore crescents. Place inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool slightly and roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely and reroll in powdered sugar

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 cup butter, softened

• 1/2 cup white sugar

• 1/2 cup peanut butter

• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

• 1 egg, beaten

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 2 tablespoons milk

• 40 miniature chocolate covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.

2. Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture; mix well. Shape into 40 balls and place each into an ungreased mini muffin pan.

3. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a mini peanut butter cup into each ball. Cool and carefully remove from pan.

Snack Mix

2 bags white chips (not chocolate)

3T oil

Melt together and pour over:

5 C. Cheerios

5 C. Corn Chex

1 bag butter braid pretzels

1 bag M & M's (holiday colors look great)

Mix and spread on wax paper. Break apart.

Chocolate Dessert

1 bag of Oreos (crushed)

6T margarine (melted)

Mix the above together and put half of the crumb mixture into a 9x13 pan.

Peppermint ice cream (1/2 gallon-box) Slice and layer over the crumb mixture. Freeze for a couple of hours. Then spread the following:

1 or 2 jars of hot fudge ice cream topping-spread over chilled ice cream layer.

Add an 8 oz. carton of Cool Whip.

Top with the rest of the crushed Oreos. Store in freezer until ready to serve.