Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

Exactly. I would defiantly recommend the Wii for a 5 year old. We have a Wii and my 6 year old loves it and I'm looking to get my 11 year old an Xbox for Xmas.

Thank you both for the advice!! I think I will go with the Wii, considering the price difference between the 2. If she really likes playing the Wii (I know I will, I'm old school when it comes to video games), I'll upgrade her in a few years to whatever the newest craze is then.

I had no idea the PS3 did not play PS2 games. So glad a decided to get the Xbox. Lol

The old PS3's play the PS2 games, but that was one of the features that Playstation cut to lower the price of the system. I bought DH's when they first came out, so it does play the PS2 games, but they were ALOT higher back then. It seems unreal now, but I think I paid around $600.00 for it back in 2006. I must admit, though......He has definately gotten my money's worth out of it.

Ok my son wants:

Bayonetta (currently 29.96 at Walmart), God of War 3, (26.54) I don't buy him games often, so don't know prices really well, would any of you expect me to find either of these games significantly cheaper by BF or Xmas....

I hate waiting only to see a price go UP or go out of stock, opinions, and I know there is always the buy and u can return (but i try to choose carefully because by the time Christmas comes, I could be returning and rebuying 100 things, so I try to limit that scenario.)

Thanks for any help

I am looking for Nintendo DS advice. I think I'm leaning towards the DSi XL for my 5 & 7 year old boys for Christmas. First, can someone who has played both the XL and a regular sized one tell me, is the XL worth the extra money? Or, would you suggest one of the other models? Also, looking at Walmart they have a bundle for the DSi XL, a case, and a game for $179 right now. Will I find something for less on Black Friday? Are there other accessories I need to look for as well? I of course, would like to get these for as little as possible but don't want to just go buy the cheapest models that they'll need to upgrade a year down the road. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Niccole

:2wiggle:

I've owned DS lites, DSi, and a DSi XL. The XL definitely looks a lot nicer, and the battery life is way better than the regular DSi. However, the regular DSi and Lite are easier to hold for longer gaming sessions.

However, now that the 3DS is out you may want to go with that. The 3-D effect is really neat and it comes loaded with some cool stuff on it already. The only gripe I have is that the battery life isn't too good. It is $169 now but I wouldn't be surprised to see some good sales on BF as the system is not selling well right now. Main reason is just that the game library isn't too great yet but that will probably change, a lot of their systems get off to a slow start.

As for the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 debate, when I made the decision years back, I went with the 360 because of the price difference and the exclusives the 360 has. PS3 has the advantages of a being Blu-ray player and free online. The 360's online is mostly agreed to be better but only the bare bones Silver is free, for Gold-- which allows you to play online against others and take advantage of most features-- you have to shell out a good bit though deals are available from time to time. Even if you don't want them playing online you will want to hook the system up so you can download updates; a lot of games get released these days with bad bugs so having access to the patches is important. Anyways, I'm very happy with my 360 and have none of the common hardware issues, knock on wood!

Ok my son wants:

Bayonetta (currently 29.96 at Walmart), God of War 3, (26.54) I don't buy him games often, so don't know prices really well, would any of you expect me to find either of these games significantly cheaper by BF or Xmas....

I hate waiting only to see a price go UP or go out of stock, opinions, and I know there is always the buy and u can return (but i try to choose carefully because by the time Christmas comes, I could be returning and rebuying 100 things, so I try to limit that scenario.)

Thanks for any help

I'm guessing your looking for them for PS3 since God of War 3 is made by Sony.... Amazon has Bayonetta for PS3 for $17.01. God of War is still $25.97, so not much of a saving there....

Edited by Kim3498

I'm guessing your looking for them for PS3 since God of War 3 is made by Sony.... Amazon has Bayonetta for PS3 for $17.01. God of War is still $25.97, so not much of a saving there....

Yes, I was looking for PS3 how dumb of me not to say, I might just snag up the bayonetta, that'd be 12 bucks off the price I found- THANK YOU :)

My dd is 7 (also have a ds that is 10) and we have had both the Wii and the Kinect since the day each came out and I would have to say that the Wii doesn't even compare to the Kinect in our house. The Kinect is so much easier for her and I (who are not big gamers) to control and actually play than the Wii. You don't have to worry about which button on the remote that you are supposed to be pushing, whether or not your remote has batteries, etc because the Kinect has no remote. There are so many fun games for the family on both systems but our family game nights are always on the Kinect now. We love the Dance Central games, Wipeout, all of the Sports games and the one that puts you into the scene of the movie (so you are actually acting). I think I just saw that the Kinect is on sale at Best Buy. Either way, I hope you all love it. Good luck!

Is anyone familiar with the Skylanders Spyro's Adventure game that is out now? DS10 has this at the top of his wish list this year so I picked up the starter pack and noticed that there are also expansion packs available (of course) so I guess I am hoping someone will have some deals on those!

Is anyone familiar with the Skylanders Spyro's Adventure game that is out now? DS10 has this at the top of his wish list this year so I picked up the starter pack and noticed that there are also expansion packs available (of course) so I guess I am hoping someone will have some deals on those!

My DS 11 has been playing Spyro since he was 3! Loves him. Of course he has this on his list too. The starter kit comes with 3 characters. You can buy extra characters to expand game play. You can also play multi-player. I'd say you can start with the starter pack then add more characters later. Maybe tell other family members that we wants them or maybe for a birthday present. :)

I have it bought for my boys. I recommend getting is sooner rather then later. It's going to be hard to find this year. Along with any of the characters. TRU had a b2g1 free sale a couple weeks ago on all the Skylander stuff. That is where I picked up all the currently out characters, how to book and game. Keep an eye there will be sales.

My DS 11 has been playing Spyro since he was 3! Loves him. Of course he has this on his list too. The starter kit comes with 3 characters. You can buy extra characters to expand game play. You can also play multi-player. I'd say you can start with the starter pack then add more characters later. Maybe tell other family members that we wants them or maybe for a birthday present. :)

I am waiting for Easter to get the characters that are not out yet.

I went to best buy and they have a playstation 3 bundle with the games uncharted 1, 2 and 3 for $299. I believe that's a good deal since everywhere else is same price with just one game and it is 320gb. The sale ends tomorrow Saturday. Do you think it's a good deal? Thanks

Thanks, so they must be shipped, right? Is shipping cheap?

Yup, what Brad said. ;) There were none available in any of the stores in my area so I had it shipped for free. :)

I've searched Walmart, TRU, Target, and Amazon for a DS Lite and can't find one. :(

Not really sure I want to get a 3D one. Target did have the 3D one for $169-$25 gift card so it'd be $144.

Did you check the store stock checker on Walmart.com or BestBuy.com? There are a couple Walmarts near me that say they are in stock. They might be saving them for BF now though. They have been on sale at least the last 2 BFs. Personally I would spring for a DSiXL.

Did you check the store stock checker on Walmart.com or BestBuy.com? There are a couple Walmarts near me that say they are in stock. They might be saving them for BF now though. They have been on sale at least the last 2 BFs. Personally I would spring for a DSiXL.

Yep, I checked all of them online and some in store and still found nothing.

We ended up going to Target tonight and picked up the Nintendo 3DS. Paid $169 then got back a $25 gift card. I also used the coupon from the toy catalog that gave me another $5 gift card. So we picked out a 3D game and used the gift cards to pay for it.

So for $169 I got the 3DS and 1 3D game. Plus I used my Target Red Card so that's an additional 5% off which paid for the sale tax since ours is 5%.

I checked the return policy and it's 45 days so if a better deal comes along I'll see if it's worth returning and rebuying.

I think the confusion is that some colors have been discontinued. I do think it is a matter of time before they are fully disconti.ued now that the 3ds is out.

I am glad that I heard wrong then...lol. I am really hoping that they will be a BF item again this year. I would love to get one for around 70.00 or less.

ok H E L P-- the Hasbro FAMILY game NIGHT games (you know with Mr. Potato head usually pictured on the front), what are your thoughts? worth it/fun?? or not so much.

also opinions on if the game is fun on particular game consoles more so than other systems??

We LOVE it! When we first got it, it was the most highly played game for a while! I DO recommend this game!

I just bought the starter set with 3 characters for $69.99, received a 3 pack characters free and a $15 gift card. All at toys r us