Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

Thank you for your help. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing up with putting all thoses wall jacks and extra cables in and then a bad picture. That makes me happy that i;m going in the right direction. If anyone else has any ideas please send them to me. I want this set up to blow me and my freinds away!!!

So my TV died today (actually, its stuck in standby mode and won't turn on anymore). I have a Wal-Mart protection plan and they will be reimbursing me for the cost of the TV because it is not repairable.

Anyway, so I wasn't in the market for a TV this BF and now I am! I'm looking for a 32" to 46". Love the price of the $199 Sharp at BB but won't be standing in line for that. So I'm looking at these:

32" Emerson, Walmart, $188

40" Emerson, Walmart, $248

40" Element, Target, $265

46" Westinghouse, Target, $298

Can anyone give me any input on these? Are they worth the price or effort? Would you recommend one over the other? None at all?

Thanks SO much. :)

First, where are you shopping? I don't want you stealing my deals....hahaha

The brands you mention aren't considered, "name brands" per se in high-end electronics. But if you intend to buy the Walmart protection plan anyway, it might not matter to you.

These are the units I might possible consider if it were me:

- Meijer has a Thanksgiving Day deal on a 32" Samsung for $279

- Sam's has a 32" Samsung for $278

- Sears has a 32" Samsung for $279

- Walmart has a 32" Samsung for $278

- BJ's is selling a Samsung 32" for $279

- OfficeMax has a 32" Toshiba for $279

- Radio Shack has a 32" Toshiba (w/ WiFi apparently!) for $259

- Staples has a 32" LG LED HDTV for $299

- BJ's is selling a Vizio 32" for $239

Under $300, I don't think you will get a quality set larger than 32"...except maybe that Sharp at Best Buy.

Looks like Samsung is the popular Black Friday HDTV manufacturer being pushed this year. Most of the big places appear to be selling the 51" Samsung plasma for $499 and the 32" LCD for $279.

The brands you mention aren't considered, "name brands" per se in high-end electronics. But if you intend to buy the Walmart protection plan anyway, it might not matter to you.

Under $300, I don't think you will get a quality set larger than 32"...except maybe that Sharp at Best Buy.

Looks like Samsung is the popular Black Friday HDTV manufacturer being pushed this year. Most of the big places appear to be selling the 51" Samsung plasma for $499 and the 32" LCD for $279.

Hahaha, I live in Tampa, FL but will be shopping near my parents in Winter Haven, FL. Not much there. Lots of grass. ;)

Ok now heres another brain tickler..... I want everything in the wall. Im bulding a fake wall in the livingroom (I have the space and the equipment will be recessed in the wall also) Now what I want to do is put wall jacks in for composit, component, hdmi, speakers and so on. Now I want to put a jack down low where the equipment is and a jack behind the tv up higher. So there will be a very short cable going from the (i.e. xbox 360, ps3, blu-ray...) to the wall jack..... and then there will be a cable INSIDE the wall going up to the wall jack behind the tv..... and then a very short cable from the wall jack to the tv. How much signal will i lose in doing this or is there a better way. Im trying to put extra jacks in for addtional equipment that will come down the line. Please understand I have ALOT of equipment to install so there will be close to a mile or maybe more of cords and I want it to look really clean!!!!

I'll see if I can find it later, but I've read that you can't tell the difference between expensive HDMI cables and cheap ones....up to about 15 feet. The red/blue/green component video cables work for longer distances, but also cost more. If you're throwing in a couple connections there too, its possible that you might get some artifacts from signal loss if you use the cheap HDMI stuff. Take some measurements. Detail it out.

Receiver to HDTV:

- 3ft from Receiver to the wall

- 10 feet (in wall) from receiver wall jack to TV wall jack

- 1.5 ft from TV wall jack to HDTV

---------------------------------------

- 14.5 total HDMI cables from receiver to TV

BluRay to Receiver

- 3 ft HDMI

DirecTV/Cable to Reveiver

- 3 ft HDMI

PS3 to Receiver

- 3 ft HDMI

XBox to Receiver

- 3 ft HDMI

Monoprice offers discounts on certain quantities.

I have been researching the specs on the tvs I'm looking to get and now I need some help..... The LG 55" 3D bundle at sears page 3 model # 55lw300. Does it have a component hook up or not??? Anyone have the answer??? It looks like it has the hdmi audio and composit.

SIDE INPUTS & OUTPUTS

AV In

USB 2.0

Headphone Out

HDMI In

REAR INPUTS & OUTPUTS

RF In (Antenna/Cable)

AV In

Component Video In (Y, Pb, Pr) + Audio

Digital Audio Out (Optical)

RGB In (D-Sub 15pin) - PC

PC Audio Input

RS-232C (Control/Service)

Headphone Out

HDMI In

I believe the AV in is the standard RCA / component hookup. You should be able to go check it out in-store before BF, though.

Stationchief has put together a marvelous little tool for the site to look at things that way if you like.

Click here...http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com/gdcc.php

You can select HDTV at the top and click the Display Chart button.

Then you can continue to whittle down the chart based on your requirements...

- Screen greater than 39

- refresh greater than 60

You can filter on 1080p and LCD/Plasma if you like as well, but if you read the first couple pages of this thread, you might choose differently.

- Plasma refresh rates are around 600Hz, (notice the extra zero in there) a lot of people don't catch that.

- 1080p is mostly useless as most people don't sit close enough to their TV to be able to physically recognize the difference, let alone the lack of real 1080p content...

Edited by Pnambic

FYI Target will have a 32" Samsung for less (264.09 w/ redcard).

Stationchief has put together a marvelous little tool for the site to look at things that way if you like.

- Screen greater than 39

- refresh greater then 60

You can filter on 1080p and LCD/Plasma if you like as well, but if you read the first couple pages of this thread, you might choose differently.

- Plasma refresh rates are around 600Hz, (notice the extra zero in there) a lot of people don't catch that.

- 1080p is mostly useless as most people don't sit close enough to their TV to be able to physically recognize the difference, let alone the lack of real 1080p content...

No TVs from target are on that site.

- Screen greater than 39

- refresh greater then 60

No TVs from target are on that site.

Sure there are. Make sure you check the right box if you want to specifically select Target. Depending on the width of your browser window, the checkbox might appear on the line above. Click the checkbox to the left of the name Target.

FYI Target will have a 32" Samsung for less (264.09 w/ redcard).

Yeah, but I don't like Target. Call it a grudge if you will. :P

Edited by Pnambic

Looking for a TV for my grandmother, 32-42", preferably a name brand. Will likely only be shopping online. Suggestions?

ETA: 720 px is fine

Looks like the Samsung 32 inch is kinda the sweetspot this year.

But personally, I'd buy a Panasonic plasma. I've had very good experience with them standing behind their product and respect that a great deal.

I believe that for $399, you can choose from a 46in Panasonic plasma at Best Buy or a 42in Panasonic plasma at K-Mart.

Looks like the Samsung 32 inch is kinda the sweetspot this year.

But personally, I'd buy a Panasonic plasma. I've had very good experience with them standing behind their product and respect that a great deal.

I believe that for $399, you can choose from a 46in Panasonic plasma at Best Buy or a 42in Panasonic plasma at K-Mart.

I'll definitely look into those Panasonics. That's what ours is (LCD though, not plasma) and we haven't had any problems with it.

The 60" LED Sharp at Sears is available NOW on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC60LE6300U-60-inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B005GTO060/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1321874100&sr=8-7

Also, if you go to the SquareTrade Warranty website and order a warranty from them, you can use the discount code "INTRODUCTION" and get 20% off of a warranty. I got a 3 year warranty for the tv for $85!

I would hold off on the warranty. Square trade posts 30-50% off codes at xmas time and you have 90 days after purchase to buy it. I hve never paid more than 40% off on any of mine.

The 60" LED Sharp at Sears is available NOW on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC60LE6300U-60-inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B005GTO060/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1321874100&sr=8-7

Also, if you go to the SquareTrade Warranty website and order a warranty from them, you can use the discount code "INTRODUCTION" and get 20% off of a warranty. I got a 3 year warranty for the tv for $85!

I would hold off on the warranty. Square trade posts 30-50% off codes at xmas time and you have 90 days after purchase to buy it. I hve never paid more than 40% off on any of mine.

From what I read you now have 30 days to buy it. Unless I read it wrong.

Wow so Target finally put up their doorbusters only to mark them higher than a previous sale.

I was planning on getting a 32" or 40" TV, wanted a Samsung 32" but somehow those have NO VGA PORT.

What would you guys recommend for a deal on a 32-40"? (720p is fine)

daftande - first question would be - do you care if it's plasma, lcd, or led-lcd?

i personally prefer led lcd. but that's me. :)

the super slim tvs have really tinny sound we've noticed. so a soundbar would be needed if you go that thickness.

i hear you on the vga cable though! :) i use my netbook all the time hooked up to my tv. since my netbook is old - win xp and doesn't have hdmi cable, i have to use vga and stereo line to get it into my tv.

i do like LG brand - that has a nice sound to it in the size range you're looking for - IF you don't go super slim.

i wouldn't pay more than $200 for a tv in the 32" range. . . amazon has them now even!

happy shopping!

Yeah, I noticed that the Samsung 32" TV's (available now to Premier Silver members at Best Buy) do not have VGA inputs. I'm not sure if that was model-specific for them to meet the pricepoint for BF or what, but it was a dealbreaker for me. The 32" Samsung LCD that's available now though BB ($277) is only $279 shipped from Amazon, as well.

BTW, Meritline has a bunch of cheap adapters to convert from VGA to different other formats for around $4 or $5 ea. Your local computer store probably has a similar selection for about $5 more. Its probably not too difficult to piece together a couple connectors to get from VGA to S-Video/DVI/HDMI to connect to the TV if you wanted to go that route.

LCD is fine, and no issue on poor speakers, I have a 5.1 surround setup.

I really was expecting the Target 32" Westy to go well below $200 and they screwed me.

Yea the reason I like VGA is to connect my netbook too.

So, ya wanna join my club of Target Grudgeholders? :)

Ok so here's my question... I noticed that the $199 Sharp at Best Buy is actually listed on their website now. At $499 "coming soon" and it's 60hz.

Do you think it will end up being available online Thursday and if so, is the price low enough to warrant buying it even though it's not 120hz?

Of course money is tight, whose isn't? But I would love to get my husband a new tv for his birthday. We mostly watch regular TV and occasional sports.