Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

I was at Staples getting ink last night and they had a Kindle fire....tried to see how it worked with the demo but could not get the demo to respond to my finger touch....I wasn't going to get a Fire anyway. Next time I go to Best Buy, I'll try out the demo there, but my eye is on a 7 inch samsung tablet, the latest version that just came out....that's probably why its not in any black friday ad.

I am still going back and forth about either getting the Ipad2 or the Asus Transformer. This is a gift for me and I need it for my business. I am a massage therapist with my own office but there are times that I travel to see my clients. I need to be able to process credit card payments, open a word document that I can enter information on and enter data in an excel spread sheet. I have an IPhone now and know the credit card processing is not an issue. Which would be the easiest to do the word and excel documents? If either one will work just fine for this I guess I will go with the price.

Both would suit you just fine. The Apple would be easier for you if you have never used andriod, but the Asus is what I'm trying to get this year. I have seen benchmarks that rate the Asus slightly better performance wise and the fact that you can buy the dock for it and have 16 hours of battery life is a big seller for me as well. You also have the ability to add memory via microSD, and Android has a new operating system called Ice cream sandwich coming out soon. But the Apple will be more user friendly and have more apps.

I hope to get the Asus also for my DS15. He needs something that he can type up papers, transcribe his class notes etc. He is on his HS Varsity swim team and there are some meets that he is on the bus 3 hours. By the time he gets home its late and does not have the time to do homework. Originally we planned on getting an ipad but after researching the Asus and seeing what it can do plus the docking station (which we already got from Newegg same price as BB but no tax) we know its capable of doing the word processing and will have easy transfer to his desktop at home.

The kindle will not be on sale, Amazon doesn't put their new kindles on sale. I bought my son one. It is a very nice tablet. You can't beat amazon's customer service. If something happens they send you out a new one and give you a month to return the bad one. NO other company does that.

Ok which is better the Kindle Fire or Velocity® Micro Cruz™ T-301? And who has which one on sale??

Sorry if this was asked but:

I was planning on getting my DD6 an iPod Touch for Xmas (her brother has one and I have an iPhone so she knows how to use it) but now I'm thinking about the Dell Streak instead (I had a Nook Color and an Android phone so she knows how to use that too). I can get them for about the same price so that's not the issue, I was just thinking that the Streak might be better for her cuz it's bigger. She wouldn't use either for music, just games. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

I think the streak is fine. Having had a Fire since launch, I have come to like the Amazon ecosystem. We are still in a Prime trial and have been downloading a game or app each day. I don't think I'd want a bigger tablet -- the Fire slips in my back pants pocket and I like that a lot.

If you are just playing games and think the size is a bonus, then the Streak might be better for you. Get both and return one.

well, the thrive DOES have a user replaceable battery (in the current 10 inch version) and you can even get different colored backs, from Toshiba.com. However, I read it is a little on the heavy side, at just over a pound. The transformer has the docking keyboard, which increases the battery life. You can probably do a comparison on best buy by comparing the two items on the website.

The Acer that is on sale for $189 for Black Friday is the 7 inch model reviews give it a poor score when it comes to battery life.

well, the thrive DOES have a user replaceable battery (in the current 10 inch version) and you can even get different colored backs, from Toshiba.com. However, I read it is a little on the heavy side, at just over a pound. The transformer has the docking keyboard, which increases the battery life. You can probably do a comparison on best buy by comparing the two items on the website.

The Acer that is on sale for $189 for Black Friday is the 7 inch model reviews give it a poor score when it comes to battery life.

I like the battery feature on the thrive in addition to the ports that it has eg. USB, HDMI.

I don't know if anyone else is still watching this thread but I have a question. My mom is buying my dad and HP desktop bundle from Walmart. She has the opportunity to get the $149 Touchpad. We had been considering this for DS 15. Would this work well as an ereader that could be used for more than just kindle or Nook and be used for light surfing and games as well as email. He has an ipod touch so he can play apple games on that. Really looking for a larger backlit screen for reading and the rest is a bonus. Any thoughts?

Not sure which tablet that is, but if it helps, Barnes and Noble has been selling their Nook color refurbished all weekend for $119. It just went up to $129 today, but that is still a good deal. And if you add a rootmynookcolor.com SD card you can turn that nook into a tablet that does internet, netflix movies etc. etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOOK-Color-Barnes-Noble-Wi-Fi-eReader-/300625719205

Sadly, the Nook app is not available for webOS. That was a deal-killer for me for the HP touchpad.

At 100 bucks, I couldn't lose! Kindle app works!

As an e-reader alone, no I would NOT recommend it. Get a kindle or nook as the e-ink is a much better format. But we do use it as an occasional e-reader (eye strain is a problem, however on the flip side if you are reading a book that comes with color pictures it shows up much better), use it to surf the web, etc. It's a toy. It is not powerful. There aren't a lot of apps. for the price, it's a good little tablet, but don't expect anything new to come from it. I think there have been a few updates though to webOS.

For a 4 year old I would stick with the leapfrog. It wouldn't be as fragile and would have more kid friendly games for a few years until she is old enough for the tablet. My son is just getting his first one at 14.

Looking at the leapfrog explorer tablet http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11776545 for my 4 year old.

Does anyone think that would be best for her or would it be better to just get a cheap android tab for $100 or less?

I got my 2yr old granddaughter and 18 mo old grandson the Leappad (pink and green). LOL, yeah I know their young for it, but it seemed the perfect gift for the to grow into and learn. Got each for $99, plus one was a bundle deal. Got myself and DH the ACER Iconia (one from kmart -16GB for 217.00 and one from best buy 8GB $229.) I'm so excited about those it is ridiculous. Been buying accessories at good prices too. Good luck.

OK! I took the plunge and bought a Nook. (and I am sure there are many other new e-reader owners out there.)

HELP!! How do I know the legitimate sites that sell ebooks?? I know Amazon and Barnes and Nobles does. (And yes, I know I can borrow from the library.) But I have looked over several sites in the last couple of days, and there seems to be a lot of pirated stuff out there. (And, of course I am also concerned about viruses etc.)

Where can one go, besides Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and overdrive.com???? I want to load some of mom's favorite books on the Nook. And I want to do it legally. :yup:

OK! I took the plunge and bought a Nook. (and I am sure there are many other new e-reader owners out there.)

HELP!! How do I know the legitimate sites that sell ebooks?? I know Amazon and Barnes and Nobles does. (And yes, I know I can borrow from the library.) But I have looked over several sites in the last couple of days, and there seems to be a lot of pirated stuff out there. (And, of course I am also concerned about viruses etc.)

Where can one go, besides Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and overdrive.com???? I want to load some of mom's favorite books on the Nook. And I want to do it legally. :yup:

Booksamillion is also legit. I haven't used any of the others other than bn and them and the library for my nook