$198 E-Machine Laptop

shawtyblack

The emachines in the ad is just a Gateway with a different label slapped on it. It looks identical to the Gateway NV series, which are highly rated because of their good performance at a low price. At this price, you can't lose and if you are worried about it breaking on you after the warranty expires, get a service plan at the time of purchase, Wal-Mart definitely will have extended service plans available and you will still get an excellent deal on a computer. Typically laptops quit working due to accidental handling, not because of the parts under the hood.

Emachines are usually very good machines, however some have problems. I still have an Emachines from about 4 years ago working fine, but 2 years ago I bought 1 and my mom bought 1. Hers died about a week later and had to be sent to Emachines for repairs. About 2 weeks after she got it back she had to send it out a second time and it's been fine ever since. Mine was fine until recently the dvd drive stopped working. My options are either pick up a new computer for $219 or buy and install a new drive for about $60. Computers pretty much are outdated every 2 years or so, so I think I'm going to get the $599 HP at BB this year..... and while doing my early scouting... that 23" LED screen is BEAUTIFUL, lol.

I am on my Acer laptop right now. I bought mine at Staples and love it , its used all the time by 5 people in the house. I was told that the Dell I was looking at and the Acer I bought are very similar in quality etc. I was also told that my Acer had something on it that made it better then the Dell I was eyeing. He said he would take the Acer and the price difference was this one was about 20.00 LESS. I know not a huge difference but he could of tried to sell me something that cost more and had less but he didnt.

I do believe this laptop will not be part of the midnight sale,but the 5a.m doorbuster.Would be great if they had 50 of them:cheesy:

Yes but you would need to be in line outside the store before they open at midnight then get in the specified line for the laptop until 5am. Trust me, if you strolled in Walmart around 3 or 4 you will not get the laptop. :)

Emachines are usually very good machines, however some have problems. I still have an Emachines from about 4 years ago working fine, but 2 years ago I bought 1 and my mom bought 1. Hers died about a week later and had to be sent to Emachines for repairs. About 2 weeks after she got it back she had to send it out a second time and it's been fine ever since. Mine was fine until recently the dvd drive stopped working. My options are either pick up a new computer for $219 or buy and install a new drive for about $60. Computers pretty much are outdated every 2 years or so, so I think I'm going to get the $599 HP at BB this year..... and while doing my early scouting... that 23" LED screen is BEAUTIFUL, lol.

if you are going to pay that much, might as well get something that can do everything: for $649 http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6701572&sku=A50-15648 bluray player, i5, 1yr accidental damage???!!!

Just some food for thought.

I really hope they offer this one online. I won't be able to be there so I was going to buy it on my phone while I am waiting in line somewhere else.

Unfortunately it's not going to be online. If you go to walmart.com, click on your local ad, click on the store map and then click on the item you want it will tell you if it's in-store only or online too. Looks like most of the TVs are online also but the laptops are instore only.

If you've been watching reliability ratings from consumer laptops, which are typically lower/worse than corporate laptops, since Acer's buyout of Gateway/emachines/Packard Bell Holdings in 2007, Acer's reliability has risen towards the upper end while Gateway/emachines has dropped each year towards the bottom of the group of seven or so consumer oriented laptop sellers......Apple typically is first, followed by a grouping of Acer and Sony, then a grouping of Lenovo, Dell, and Toshiba, then Gateway, HP, and Compaq rounding out the bottom of the barrel, which shouldn't be too surprising since Acer moved Gateway into a "value line" below their own Acer brand after their acquisition of Gateway.

Of course, a lot depends on if the unit is left in one spot, plugged in and not moved a lot or is carried around a lot in things like kids' backpacks, etc. The latter use gave laptops much worse durability/reliability as can be expected.

My cousin got the one last year and it still works fine.

I have an Emachines desktop that is 8 years old and still works fine, although a bit slow which is to be expected. I had an Acer netbook, it lasted about 9 months and up and died. Luckily I had a Square Trade warranty on that one and I got all my money back. So you may want to think about Square Trade, they have a great warranty program and good prices. There are usually coupon codes out there too.