Nook vs. Kindle Thread

Rockfordmom

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that with the nook you can take your nook to any Barnes and Noble store and freely read any ebook (while you are there in the store). That's a nice little bonus above the Kindle.

True, but limited to an hour a day (which is plenty).

I just ordered the Nook speeddiva posted on the on-line deals forum ($99 refurb at buy.com).

After reading everyone's thoughts on Nook vs. Kindle,I think the Nook will better suit my husband.

It's will be a big surprise though because I told him I couldn't afford to buy him one this year!

Thought I'd add this to this thread. I BROKE My KINDLE TUESDAY NIGHT! I was devestated. I DID it..it has nothing to do with Kindle itself. I called Amazon Wednesday and they are sending me one out overnight with all my previous content already downloaded into it.....I just have to send back my Kindle in original box. No questions asked and yes they knew it was my fault. Kindle has a full 1yr warranty. Also I thought it was neat that my warranty is still in affect from my FIRST kindle I bought..BUT if your towards the END of your warranty and have to send it in..they extend the warranty to 90days from the time you recieve the new one...

I thought I'd have to send MINE off to be repaired....and that I'd loose my content. I never expected them to overnight me a new one and pay for return shipping !!!

I <3 Amazon and I <3 Kindle

I buy reconditioned/refurbished/recertified whenever possible. One of the best ways to save on electronics. Every item I have purchased recondition has looked brand new and worked perfectly. You really couldn't tell most times that it wasn't new, except that sometimes it comes in different packaging. I highly recommend buying refurbished electronics.

I buy reconditioned/refurbished/recertified whenever possible. One of the best ways to save on electronics. Every item I have purchased recondition has looked brand new and worked perfectly. You really couldn't tell most times that it wasn't new, except that sometimes it comes in different packaging. I highly recommend buying refurbished electronics.

I appreciate hearing your input on this. This is my first foray into refurbished electronics and I am a little uncertain.

I always buy reconditioned, it is usually gone over with a fine tooth comb, the new ones are off the assembly line, I just ordered a nook for my ds. He is such a book worm, Money has been tight this year so the buy.com deal made the decision easier, plus I spoke to a few students that had the nook and they loved theirs

I always buy reconditioned, it is usually gone over with a fine tooth comb, the new ones are off the assembly line, I just ordered a nook for my ds. He is such a book worm, Money has been tight this year so the buy.com deal made the decision easier, plus I spoke to a few students that had the nook and they loved theirs

I mentioned in another post that borrowing e-books from libraries is not as easy as one thinks. Money is also tight with us, so I can understand saving money on the refurbished Nook. But if Amazon offers more free books than BN, wouldn't it be better in the long run to buy a Kindle? It's only $40 more...most people can live with wi-fi only.

I mentioned in another post that borrowing e-books from libraries is not as easy as one thinks. Money is also tight with us, so I can understand saving money on the refurbished Nook. But if Amazon offers more free books than BN, wouldn't it be better in the long run to buy a Kindle? It's only $40 more...most people can live with wi-fi only.

Why do you say its not as easy to borrow e-books from the library? I just got an email from my local library with information on how I can get a library card with the Free Library of Philadelphia so that I can borrow ebooks thru them on Overdrive.com. I have had not problems. Our library had budget cuts and Overdrive was cut.

Probably cheaper, but my ds Loves going to Barnes and noble to browse for a few hours. His Grandpa and Auntie were going to get him video games but they are happier they can give gift cards for books. He is 12 and a klutz, so we wanted to go with the cheapest in case if he broke it the first day. I also called our local library and asked if their ebooks were compatible with nook and they said they were. We shall see.

Why do you say its not as easy to borrow e-books from the library? I just got an email from my local library with information on how I can get a library card with the Free Library of Philadelphia so that I can borrow ebooks thru them on Overdrive.com. I have had not problems. Our library had budget cuts and Overdrive was cut.

Agree... borrowing from Overdrive is EXTREMELY easy. I've been borrowing one a week for at least the last 2 months with no problems. I keep my account stocked with waitlisted items and when they become available I download them. Yes you only get them for 14 days but thats not a problem for me since I usually finish a book in just a couple days.

Agree... borrowing from Overdrive is EXTREMELY easy. I've been borrowing one a week for at least the last 2 months with no problems. I keep my account stocked with waitlisted items and when they become available I download them. Yes you only get them for 14 days but thats not a problem for me since I usually finish a book in just a couple days.

My wife is technology challenged, so to speak. So I want to make it easy for her to d/l books. I don't mind borrowing from Overdrive if it's easy. For us only our Public School System has Overdrive, not the county library system. So the books available to adults are limited.

YMMV.

Edited by davidmg1

My wife is technology challenged, so to speak. So I want to make it easy for her to d/l books. I don't mind borrowing from Overdrive if it's easy. For us only our Public School System has Overdrive, not the county library system. So the books available to adults are limited.

YMMV.

well that stinks :( is there maybe a metro library nearby where she can get a card and they may have Overdrive? The actual program is really very simple.. create an account, waitlist or download if available, then personally I hook up my nook and transfer the documents. But if there really is nothing available then I will say that the Kindle does (from what I have seen/heard) have a much larger selection of free books ready to download. You obviously know your situation better than any of us and I'm sure she'll like either one :)

well that stinks :( is there maybe a metro library nearby where she can get a card and they may have Overdrive? The actual program is really very simple.. create an account, waitlist or download if available, then personally I hook up my nook and transfer the documents. But if there really is nothing available then I will say that the Kindle does (from what I have seen/heard) have a much larger selection of free books ready to download. You obviously know your situation better than any of us and I'm sure she'll like either one :)

Thanks for the info. The next county to us has Overdrive, but I would need a local address to gain access to the library. Hopefully our county (which is larger) will get Overdrive soon. I emailed them to ask, but haven't heard back.

so not to go to off topic on the discussion of what one is better but has anyone seen really good BF prices yet? looks like maybe a $10 drop on a few i have seen. and why is everyone ignoring the sony e-reader?

Ebay and Buy.com have been having some refurbished Nooks for sale. In the Best Buy Black Friday ad there is a Nook wi fi doorbuster for $99.

Ebay and Buy.com have been having some refurbished Nooks for sale. In the Best Buy Black Friday ad there is a Nook wi fi doorbuster for $99.

I just saw that, 10 per store. I think I will keep my refurb, I just ordered. It has been gone over by technicians, the ones at bb are straight of the assembly line.

All of these Nook deals remind me of the year that everyone got the <$99 brown Zunes that were being dumped by tons of stores to make room for the HD model. I still use my brown Zune today, looks like new since its always been in the case, and works like new... I love it!!! Now everyone is going to own a Nook!

All of these Nook deals remind me of the year that everyone got the <$99 brown Zunes that were being dumped by tons of stores to make room for the HD model. I still use my brown Zune today, looks like new since its always been in the case, and works like new... I love it!!! Now everyone is going to own a Nook!

I love my Zune too...I think it sounds way better than iPod. I'm dying for my Nook, It was supposedly shipped last Saturday and isn't here yet :( I think they sent it Pony Express.

I remember that year. I ended up getting 2 of the brown Zunes. One is sitting right next to me on my side table. DS gave it to me when he got his Ipod Touch.

Nook also has "social DRM" that allows more unlimited book sharing. If I want to share a book with my coworker, I email her the book file. She puts it on her Nook; when she opens the book it will ask for the last name and credit card number. It creates the DRM file and stores it, so any future books that I loan her will open right away because her Nook has my DRM code stored.

I use calibre to format non-DRM books from other formats (I did a couple .lit the other day) to epub. I don't believe calibre will reformat DRM'd books. Anyhow, I use calibre as well as non Barnes and Noble ebook stores and sideload a lot of content. My daughter has a nook and they are both on one account. Since I don't necessarily want her to read everything I read, sideloading takes care of the problem very easily.

Ummm.. I got my Nook last christmas and haven't heard of "sideloading" or DRM, etc... Where can I get more info?

How does the free library at Philadelphia work? I am from out of state and I see that I would need to pay the $15 fee - that's cheaper than what I pay for my local library, so that's fantastic. But I can't quite grasp how I would borrow nook books from them. How does it work?

I am not too sure I just ordered our library cards today. I assume you go into the Philadelphia Library system and put in your card #. Or maybe there is a link from them that takes you into the Overdrive system where you register with your card # to borrow nook books. I downloaded the Nook to my computer so as soon as I get my card I will try it out. I plan on getting myself a nook for Xmas.