Holiday Recipes Thread - Merged

twilightcalm

I'm starting to think about our menu for both holidays. :holiday03I am trying to be more versatile and still keep some family favorites. I have reached the point where I am tired of the same old thing but my family isn't. I decided to sneak a new dish in every holiday. This is a suggestion I took from another GD buddy last year and my family LOVED it and even asked for it at Easter. http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidedishrecipes/r/potatoesgrand.htm

Please share your menus and dishes that you have tried that were a big hit.:D

Edited by Rockfordmom

A few years ago Kandy posted a recipe for a pie that was awesome. I lost the recipe but it was so easy and I would love to make it again. I usually make the same old things but I have been thinking about trying something new.

Are you looking for the Carmel Coconut pie?

If so here it is:

1 package coconut,

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 carton whipped topping, (16 ounces)

1 package cream cheese, (8 ounce)

1 jar caramel topping, (12 ounces)

2 deep dish pie shells, baked

Preparation:

Melt butter , place coconut and chopped pecans on cookie sheet and pour butter over it, bake till toasted @ 350 set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and condensed milk; beat well. Fold in whipped topping. Put 1/4 of the mixture into each pie shell. Drizzle 1/4 jar of the caramel topping on each, then sprinkle with about 1/4 of the coconut-pecan mixture. Repeat layers. Freeze. Serve frozen.

Or you can pill it all in and only top it with the coconut , carmel, and pecan topping

If so here it is:

1 package coconut,

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:

Melt butter , place coconut and chopped pecans on cookie sheet and pour butter over it, bake till toasted @ 350 set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and condensed milk; beat well. Fold in whipped topping. Put 1/4 of the mixture into each pie shell. Drizzle 1/4 jar of the caramel topping on each, then sprinkle with about 1/4 of the coconut-pecan mixture. Repeat layers. Freeze. Serve frozen.

Or you can pill it all in and only top it with the coconut , carmel, and pecan topping

That sounds so good. I think I may just try it this year. Thanks!

If so here it is:

1 package coconut,

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:

Or you can put it all in and only top it with the coconut , carmel, and pecan topping

Thank you for the receipe I am going to definitely make this. Sounds so yummy. If I had the coconut I would make it now. :1cook:

How about a new twist on an old favorite?

I remember the first time I tried the Philly Pumpkin Pie which was like a combination of cheesecake and pumpkin pie. It was a traditional taste but had that new dimension and it was so good to me!

I have to have my old favorites but always like to make room for something new and different too :)

Here you go.

Make ahead so it can cool before using.

Sugar-Free Fat-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 tsp cornstarch

1 TBS cold water

1 1/4 cup dry nonfat milk powder

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup Splenda

1 tsp vanilla

Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small dish, set aside.

In a microwaveable container, stir together milk powder & water.

Cover and microwave 45 seconds or until hot but not boiling.

Stir in cornstarch slurry and microwave 10-15 seconds longer, until thick.

Stir in Splenda and vanilla thoroughly.

Chill minimum 2 hours before using.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok everyone, bring on your recipes... I got the idea for our turkey on Thanksgiving from someone here on the forums last year. So anything can be added cookies, cake, turkey, casseroles, breakfast dishes, anything. Hope you all enjoy!

I got this recipe from watching Paula Deen on Food Network, these are so easy and so so good! You can make them anytime, but really good for christmas.

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter, room temperature

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 tablespoons buttermilk

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon red food coloring

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 pound cream cheese, softened

2 sticks butter, softened

4 cups powdered sugar

3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Then beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Once combined, add the dry ingredients to wet. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Onto a parchment lined sheet tray, drop batter using an ice cream scoop, forming 2-inch round circles.

Bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.

Spread the cream cheese frosting between 2 cooled cookies and roll the edges in finely chopped pecans, if desired.

I'll start with Halloween

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps18777_QC10252D19C.jpg

ngredients

6 cups caramel corn

2 cups salted cashews or peanuts

1-1/2 cups candy corn

1/3 cup raisins

Directions

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Yield: about 2

quarts.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps21407_QC10363D40A.jpg

Ingredients

1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough

54 pieces candy corn

1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting

Red shoestring licorice, cut into 1-3/8-inch pieces

9 thin chocolate wafer (2-1/4 inch diameter), quartered

Directions

Bake cookies according to package directions. Cool on a wire racks.

Cut off yellow tips from 18 pieces of candy corn (discard orange and white portion or save for another use). Frost cookies with chocolate frosting.

Immediately decorate with two whole candy corns for eyes, a yellow candy corn tip for nose, six licorice pieces for whiskers and two wafer quarters for ears. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps16793_CB7477C233.jpg

Ingredients

12 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped

1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Chocolate decorating gel or assorted candies

Directions

In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in marshmallows until coated. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper; smooth and flatten into ghost shapes.

Decorate with gel or candies for eyes. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 15 servings.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps29370_HC54788D236.jpg

Ingredients

2-1/3 cups biscuit/baking mix

2/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

3 tablespoons butter, melted

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk and Italian seasoning. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide into 30 portions; set half aside. Roll the remaining 15 pieces into 7-in. ropes for broom handles; fold in half and twist. Place on ungreased baking sheets.

Shape reserved pieces into 2-1/2-in. circles; cut with scissors to form a bundle of broom twigs. Place below each broom handle; pinch edges to seal. Brush with butter; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps3299_CX0594C49B.jpg

Ingredients

3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup water

Directions

In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs. Add pumpkin and mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, cloves and allspice; add to the pumpkin mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.

Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.

Edited by Illinoismom

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps10000_CS2460C44.jpg

Ingredients

2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk

2 packages (11 ounces each) butterscotch chips

2 tablespoons vinegar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Apple slices

Directions

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine milk, chips, vinegar and cinnamon. Cook and stir until smooth. Serve warm with apples. Leftover sauce may be reheated in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Yield: about 4 cups.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps26333_QC10482D17.jpg

Ingredients

40 fudge-striped cookies

1/4 cup chocolate frosting

2 packages (5 ounces each) chocolate-covered cherries

20 pieces candy corn

Directions

Place 20 cookies on a flat surface, solid chocolate side down. With frosting attach a chocolate-covered cherry to the top of each base cookie. Position another cookie perpendicular to each base cookie; attach with frosting.

With a dab of frosting, attach one piece of candy corn to the front of each cherry for the head. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps19979_HC50844D6.jpg

Ingredients

Crushed ice

4 tablespoons pomegranate juice or grenadine syrup

4 cups orange juice

Directions

Add ice to four glasses. Pour 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice or grenadine syrup over ice in each glass. Slowly add 1 cup orange juice. Stir if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

Pineapple raisin stuffing

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

4 eggs

4 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained

1 cup raisins

1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing croutons

Directions

In a small bowl, cream the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pineapple and raisins. Place stuffing croutons in a large bowl; stir in pineapple mixture.

Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12-14 servings.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps1203_TH1604C17.jpg

Sweet potato pie

6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling

Ingredients

1/3 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup evaporated milk

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)

Directions

In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.

Sweet Potato casserole

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps3234_CS1584C166.jpg

6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.

Ingredients

CASSEROLE:

2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds (about 4 cups) sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed

1/3 cup butter, melted

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

TOPPING:

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/2 cup flaked coconut

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and sugar. Spread into a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole.

For topping, combine all the ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.

sweet potato bake

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps4103_RM1397C47A.jpg

8-10 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.

Ingredients

2 to 2-1/2 pound sweet potatoes

1/4 cup butter, melted

1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup raisins

1/3 cup chopped nuts

1/3 cup miniature marshmallows

Directions

Place sweet potatoes and enough water to cover in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Cover and cook for 25-35 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly and peel. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Stir in butter, sugar and raisins. Place in a 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with nuts and marshmallows. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through and marshmallows begin to brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.

If so here it is:

1 package coconut,

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:

Is the coconut sweet or unsweet?? thks for posting... sounds so yummy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite site for Holiday recipes is

www.northpole.com then click on cookbooks recipes. The whole site is just nice for everyone, both kids and adults, all sorts of holiday ideas/fun.

I also like to do the gifts in a jar as well. I have done hot chocolate mixes, dry soup mixes as well as cookies/breads. I find most people seem to enjoy them and they are

fairly cheap esp if you buy in bulk.

Here we make Monkey Bread every Christmas morning...tradition. We also used to snack on homemade Chex mix but since grammy died this summer I don't know it that will continue though:(

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite site for Holiday recipes is

www.northpole.com then click on cookbooks recipes. The whole site is just nice for everyone, both kids and adults, all sorts of holiday ideas/fun.

This site is fantastic!!!! Thanks for the idea!

What are some of the recipes you have tried from their cookbook? Any that are awsome? Any that you would skip and not make again?

thanks. They sure have alot to choose from.