Official Black Friday GPS SYSTEM Discussion Thread

Brad

My coupon say 12-25-10.....

I was so excited when I saw the post and printed a coupon earlier today and it said 11-23-10. Just tried again on my home computer and is still printing 11-23. When did you print yours? I wonder if they caught it and changed it. Lucky you!

Edited to add: We must have been posting at the same time.

Edited by left210

What about the GPS at Walmart? TomTom .... No lifetime traffic/maps? first time owning one so wasn't sure what to buy

If you don't get one with lifetime maps, plan on map updates cost at $50-60 per update -- it's optional to update of course, but Garmin & TomTom do release new maps about every quarter.

If you don't get a unit w/lifetime maps, you should plan on either purchasing new maps or a new unit every two years....

Lifetime maps would futureproof your GPS.

I just picked up the Tom Tom XL 340 TM from Amazon for 99 with livetime traffic and maps. I'm hoping that one is good. I don't know much about these, so we'll see - DH can send it back if he doesn't like it I suppose. I kind of decided on a GPS as a whim anyway. Here's hoping :) But it makes me done with him for Christmas shopping :)

I notice that BB has the TomTom 550TM and the Amazon is 540TM. Is there a difference between them? I ordered the one on Amazon because it's easier than waiting outside to maybe get it. Plus no tax or shipping. But if the 550 has something extra I might try for it online at BB and return the 540. I'm not seeing anything in the description, but who knows.

Crutchfield has the 540tm for $110 with free shipping after code 3A825. I'm hoping to get 4% cashback on this as I started my transaction from shopdiscover. This is the best deal IMHO as the 540tm allows for multidestination routes. If this is not important to you and you prefer a simpler interface, get the 550tm from Best Buy for $130. Get 5% back from shopdiscover. If you can wait until saturday, you may get the 540tm from staples for $130 - 10% with the coupon in their ad. All great deals!

Crutchfield has the 540tm for $110 with free shipping after code 3A825. I'm hoping to get 4% cashback on this as I started my transaction from shopdiscover. This is the best deal IMHO as the 540tm allows for multidestination routes. If this is not important to you and you prefer a simpler interface, get the 550tm from Best Buy for $130. Get 5% back from shopdiscover. If you can wait until saturday, you may get the 540tm from staples for $130 - 10% with the coupon in their ad. All great deals!

The discount code didn't work for me. It said it doesn't work on certain TomToms and I guess this is one of them. It's unfortunate because I would have preferred this to the 350TM that I just bought from BB.

The discount code didn't work for me. It said it doesn't work on certain TomToms and I guess this is one of them. It's unfortunate because I would have preferred this to the 350TM that I just bought from BB.

Funny...it worked for me...

Item Description Ship Qty B/O Qty Price Amount

625XX540MT TomTom XXL 540TM w/Map-Traffic Portable Navigation 5" Screen

What's Included 1 0 109.99 109.99

AAAFA26 Refer a Friend Offer 1 0 0.00 0.00

000CARCAT Current Crutchfield Catalog Car Bounce Back 1 0 0.00 0.00

000PIPENV Envelope barcode Outgoing packages 1 0 0.00 0.00

000CEXCHNG CExchange Promo Sheet 1 0 0.00 0.00

Sub Total: $109.99

Shipping: FREE

Total: $109.99

More good news...

Thank you for shopping through ShopDiscover. The Cashback Bonus you've earned is currently pending. You'll see this reward reflected on your statement in 6-8 weeks.

Continue to earn Cashback Bonus by doing your online shopping at ShopDiscover.

Retailer's Name Date of Purchase Cashback Bonus Amount

Crutchfield.com 11/25/2010 $5.50

I guess I'll call them in the morning to see if I can get the deal. It certainly still isn't working for me.

We got two of the BF 5" GPS units with lifetime traffic and lifetime maps. One is the Garmin 1450LMT purchased at Target and the other is the TomTom XLL 550TM purchased at Best Buy Does anyone have any recommendations about which is better?

Garmin units seem to be highly rated overall. I have had a basic TomTom One for years (6?) and it has been completely trouble - free, accurate, etc.

These are my current questions about the units:

a) I particularly like the display on the TomTom because it displays information about a) miles to destination (I really like and use this) and B) time and estimated time of arrival. The information is displayed in small text at the bottom of the display and does not interfere with the map. I changed the display information on a Garmin via the Maps options (did not try it on the 1450 LMT). I could set it for more display information but it put the information in large letters on the right side of the display and it took up almost 1/3 of the screen; this makes the display of map information much smaller. I found this problematic for the Garmin because I am so accustomed to using the display information on the TomTom.

B) There was some concern in reviews about the TomTom flat suction cup that is built into GPS. It folds into the GPS when not in use to make storage compact. However, there seems to be some problem with changing the positioning of the GPS windshield. I am not sure that this flat suction cup is in the TomTomXXL550TM.

Any recommendations/insights that you can provide on either model would be very much appreciated. We intend to only keep one of them so that is the reason for the decision.

I'm so glad I found this thread! I bought the TomTom XL35T for $79 at Target on Black Friday not realizing there was a difference between "lifetime traffic" and "lifetime maps."

This one only has lifetime traffic, and I am looking for lifetime maps, so back to Target it goes.

We got two of the BF 5" GPS units with lifetime traffic and lifetime maps. One is the Garmin 1450LMT purchased at Target and the other is the TomTom XLL 550TM purchased at Best Buy Does anyone have any recommendations about which is better?

Garmin units seem to be highly rated overall. I have had a basic TomTom One for years (6?) and it has been completely trouble - free, accurate, etc.

These are my current questions about the units:

a) I particularly like the display on the TomTom because it displays information about a) miles to destination (I really like and use this) and B) time and estimated time of arrival. The information is displayed in small text at the bottom of the display and does not interfere with the map. I changed the display information on a Garmin via the Maps options (did not try it on the 1450 LMT). I could set it for more display information but it put the information in large letters on the right side of the display and it took up almost 1/3 of the screen; this makes the display of map information much smaller. I found this problematic for the Garmin because I am so accustomed to using the display information on the TomTom.

B) There was some concern in reviews about the TomTom flat suction cup that is built into GPS. It folds into the GPS when not in use to make storage compact. However, there seems to be some problem with changing the positioning of the GPS windshield. I am not sure that this flat suction cup is in the TomTomXXL550TM.

Any recommendations/insights that you can provide on either model would be very much appreciated. We intend to only keep one of them so that is the reason for the decision.

TomTom's interface is superior, as you noted, but Garmin is by far more popular.

My xxl540 arrived today. First thing I noticed was how quickly it picked up the satellites. When I powered it on, it started doing the first time use configuration. By the time I got to configure My Home, it had preselected New Hampshire. The interface is very easy to use but full featured -- I like the itinerary feature. I think this is the best of the current crop of value ($100-ish) GPS devices.