What toys does your child have and use or not use????

Elmck

I thought this thread could be used to share opinions on various toys, so that none of us waste money on toys that just do not work.

DD loves to do crafts so I was thinking about getting (or letting grandma get) a pottery wheel. Has anyone else bought one? What is your opinion of it? I read some reviews on Amazon but they were varied and I was not impressed.

Edited by Rockfordmom
edited title

I remember having one when I was a kid - it was fun. I would only get it, though, if your DD is really into that. No point in getting it if it won't be used too often. I'd ask what her favorite types of crafts are and go from there, do something like a tote or box full of supplies for it. If all else fails get a gift card for Michaels or Hobby Lobby :)

Just curious, my kids are 20 and 17 so toys are long gone purchases. But what would a parent tell a kid if a toy they want or ask santa for is a toy that isnt worth getting?

We always tell our kids they can ask for what ever they want HOWEVER they will NOT get everything they ask for. If they question why we explain that Santa can only bring them so much stuff, he needs to have enough toys to deliver to other kids and only has so much room in his sleigh. So far that has worked like a charm.

Just curious, my kids are 20 and 17 so toys are long gone purchases. But what would a parent tell a kid if a toy they want or ask Santa for is a toy that isn't worth getting?

My kids are pretty easy to redirect. For toys that DH and I don't want them to have, I usually explain to them why the toy is not a better choice, either bad reviews and we talk about the reviews and problems people have had with the toys. Or that daddy and I don't want the toy in the house for given reason. With toys that they have shown interest in and we approve of, I let them know the good aspects of the toy and we talk about how cool and fun the toy would be. Then they are excited for the toys that they are on the mom and dad approved list. So far we have not had any problems with our system. But this year my daughter is asking for a DSi and we don't have the money for it. I've explained to her Santa might not think she's ready for it because she has misplaced and temporally lost her DS Lite many times and that she should not be surprised if he waits until she is a little older to get the upgrade.

Just bought one. It is ok. From Toys R US. I can give you details if you wish. I had to do a lot of the work. I expected the clay to mold quickly and easily (think of the movie Ghost). Flew right off the wheel. I had to use a lot of pressure to hold it onto the wheel.

Thanks, she has shown them to me at the stores TRU and Michaels a couple of times. I wasn't sure they would actually work. Sounds like I should keep looking!!

I absolutely agree!! :D

HEXBUG NANO HABITAT. Anyone have any input or experience with it? The reviews on Amazon are good and at $30 it seems like a good price for a playset...

A friend of mine bought it for her grandson's birthday and she said it he likes all the hexbug things she got him.

We always tell our kids they can ask for what ever they want HOWEVER they will NOT get everything they ask for. If they question why we explain that Santa can only bring them so much stuff, he needs to have enough toys to deliver to other kids and only has so much room in his sleigh. So far that has worked like a charm.

My boys are 12 and don't believe in santa anymore but my dd3 still does. when I have my kids make a list I always tell them to list the three toys that want the most first. Then we go from there. We have always told our kids that we have to pay Santa and they will only get what we can afford to give him. This helps them choose what they want the most.

As for something my kids play with the most. My older boys got instruments for Christmas year before last. One got a guitar and one got real drums. They play them everyday. My daughter got a table for her bday one year and she uses it daily. My boys also use their playstation 2 everyday. My daughter uses her portable DVD player at night to go to sleep.

I thought this thread could be used to share opinions on various toys, so that none of us waste money on toys that just do not work.

DD loves to do crafts so I was thinking about getting (or letting grandma get) a pottery wheel. Has anyone else bought one? What is your opinion of it? I read some reviews on Amazon but they were varied and I was not impressed.

instead of buying a wheel, are there any arts centers nearby that offer classes?

instead of buying a wheel, are there any arts centers nearby that offer classes?

Good thought I will have to check.

By the way does anyone have the Barbie Camper?? That is DD's number one request this year. The only BM store I have seen it is TRU.

I saw those Paper Jamz at Walgreens. They had one to try out but I could not figure it out for the life of me. Still, my DS5 would really like one but I wish they made a KISS version because he loves KISS.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if any of the Guitar Hero games or Rock Band games have a version with more than one KISS song?