Homemade Christmas Projects

Silverstreak24

• 2 weeks later...
I made the ribbon wreath last weekend and not only was it easy but super cute :) I'll be making them for holiday gifts for my mom, my mil, my grandma and my bil's girlfriend probably lol... ds7 and I also made some of the marble magnets over the weekend too. Couldn't find the silicone glue that is mentioned in the link so we used glass and bead glue and it worked great... looks like its gonna be a crafty christmas lol

I made the ribbon wreath last weekend and not only was it easy but super cute :) I'll be making them for holiday gifts for my mom, my mil, my grandma and my bil's girlfriend probably lol... ds7 and I also made some of the marble magnets over the weekend too. Couldn't find the silicone glue that is mentioned in the link so we used glass and bead glue and it worked great... looks like its gonna be a crafty christmas lol

I too could not find the silicone glue, and I even asked for backup at Michaels! I bought the glass marbles there also, and many of them had so many imperfections you could either not see the pic through it, or it magnified part of the pic to make it look strange. When I was at the Dollar Tree a couple days ago I found some that were not only larger, but also clearer and I am going to try some of those this weekend.

You should post a pic of your ribbon wreath!

Has anyone come up with crafts made from old Christmas cards? I would love to see some if you have anything- I googled a wreath made of them, but it was kind of boring. My mother made match stick boxes from them and those were cute, but we already all have them. I have a huuuuge family and we get a lot of cards. I hate to toss them, and many are so pretty!

Finished one wreath and want to do more. Will probably get more ribbon this weekend. Until then DD and I are making the magnets. She is making them for her teachers.

Where are you geting your ribbon??

I got some of mine at Walmart, and some I had ordered from www.papertreyink.com .

Let's see....

TP Tree Ornament

Glue or Stapler

4 empty TP tubes

glitter

crayons

11 mini marshmallows

Take 3 empty TP tubes and cut them into 3's. (So you have 9 equal pieces.) Take the last TP tube and cut a piece off that's similar in size so you have 10 equal pieces. Color the 10 equal pieces green and the longer piece brown. Line up 4 pieces side by side and staple them together. Do the same with 3 pieces & 2 pieces so you have a row of 4, 3 and 2. Take the row of 3 and set it on top of the row of 4, nestle it so it rests in the groves of the one underneath. Either glue or staple them together. Take the set of 2 and set it on top of the row of 3. Glue or staple. Take a single piece and attach it on top of the row of 2. Take the last TP piece and place it underneath the bottom in the middle. Glue it to the base and let it dry laying down. Now, decorate your tree with the glitter. You can glue/glitter 11 mini marshmallows different colors and place them inside the tubes and place one on the top for a star!

Edited by Scanner420

Has anyone come up with crafts made from old Christmas cards? I would love to see some if you have anything- I googled a wreath made of them, but it was kind of boring. My mother made match stick boxes from them and those were cute, but we already all have them. I have a huuuuge family and we get a lot of cards. I hate to toss them, and many are so pretty!

I googled and found this:

Donate Christmas Cards to Charity

In the U.S., you can send Christmas cards to St. Jude's Ranch for Children, a non-profit "safe haven" for abused, abandoned and neglected children. The children recycle the old, used cards into new ones by removing the front and attaching a new back. St. Jude's Ranch accepts not only Christmas cards, but all-occasion cards year-round, such as birthday cards and thank you cards.

Cards may be donated by sending them to:

St. Jude's Ranch for Children

Recycled Card Program

100 St. Jude's Street

Boulder City, NV 89005

I googled and found this:

Donate Christmas Cards to Charity

In the U.S., you can send Christmas cards to St. Jude's Ranch for Children, a non-profit "safe haven" for abused, abandoned and neglected children. The children recycle the old, used cards into new ones by removing the front and attaching a new back. St. Jude's Ranch accepts not only Christmas cards, but all-occasion cards year-round, such as birthday cards and thank you cards.

Cards may be donated by sending them to:

St. Jude's Ranch for Children

Recycled Card Program

100 St. Jude's Street

Boulder City, NV 89005

Great idea! Thank you! I would love to do this!

Easy ornaments all you need is:

clear glass ornaments (I got mine from Michaels)

fine glitter (Michaels has fine glitter in the Martha Stewart line)

Pledge with Future Shine floor finish (it's in a clear bottle with a blue cap, it's about $6 a bottle but you don't need much)

Ribbon if you want

First you take the metal top off the top of the ornament and put in the pledge. Put in a decent amount. Then take a paper towel and cover up the hole, shake until the pledge covers every part of the ornament. Then dump the pledge back into the bottle. Next take your glitter and add a good amount into the ornament. Shake it up until it covers all of the ornaments inside surface. Dump the excess back into the glitter bottle, add your ornament top back on and a ribbon if you want and you're done! It's so simple. I make these and then put the handprint snowmen (mentioned earlier) on them. EVERYONE loves them!

http://www.cricutholiday.com/2009/11/week-18-crafty-gift-glitter-ornaments.html

Pledge with Future Shine floor finish (it's in a clear bottle with a blue cap, it's about $6 a bottle but you don't need much)

Ribbon if you want

First you take the metal top off the top of the ornament and put in the pledge. Put in a decent amount. Then take a paper towel and cover up the hole, shake until the pledge covers every part of the ornament. Then dump the pledge back into the bottle. Next take your glitter and add a good amount into the ornament. Shake it up until it covers all of the ornaments inside surface. Dump the excess back into the glitter bottle, add your ornament top back on and a ribbon if you want and you're done! It's so simple. I make these and then put the handprint snowmen (mentioned earlier) on them. EVERYONE loves them!

Those are SO pretty and seem simple to make! May try this with my kids at school! Thanks!!!

Ribbon if you want

Ohhh, those are so cute!

I love all these ideas...hoping to get everything I need for the marble magnets, and the snowmen ornaments tomorrow. I lovvvvee crafts but I never take the time to do them. I'm sure my boys will excited to help!

One thing I was curious about...maybe I'm not up on my floor shines, but my concern with the glitter ornaments is the liquid running and taking the glitter with it? I mean does it dry quickly after draining the excess, or what?

I'm making memory books for my DH's maternal grandparents, his two brothers and one for DH. They will be filled with pictures of their mom. She passed on eight years ago. Pam was so close to her boys and her parents and I know she would like this gift. It is going to be hard to make, I'll need a case of Puffs because I'm already getting teary eyed just thinking about making them!

I am also thinking of making a lap quilt for my brother using t-shirts from all of his different duty stations and deployments. However, I'm not sure if I have enough time for that so I may save that gift for Valentines Day or Easter.

I'm making memory books for my DH's maternal grandparents, his two brothers and one for DH. They will be filled with pictures of their mom. She passed on eight years ago. Pam was so close to her boys and her parents and I know she would like this gift. It is going to be hard to make, I'll need a case of Puffs because I'm already getting teary eyed just thinking about making them!

I am also thinking of making a lap quilt for my brother using t-shirts from all of his different duty stations and deployments. However, I'm not sure if I have enough time for that so I may save that gift for Valentines Day or Easter.

so sweet and thoughtful!!! those are the presents that mean the most!! good luck

Great thread as I NEED craft ideas for the kiddies!! Snowmen they can do. I like the marble magnets but the instructions are impossible to understand and where can I get those marbles? Not here.... :( unless someone wanted to ship me a bag or two... ;)

What else can Japanese kids do? It has to be safe, I do NOT have an oven so no baking, it has to be something they can do in 10 to 15 minutes tops. It also has to be something easy to explain or demonstrate. My Japanese is limited and their English is a work in progress.