Are Black Friday Sales REALLY that great or is it just the thrill?

bfaddict1977

I LOVE this forum:) Just gotta say. I was on here last yr. Went out on bf, pg with my 4th child and 3 kids in tow and this yr pg with my 5th if I choose to go bf shopping. My question is this- is it more of the thrill of getting out and possibly getting that must have deal or are the prices truly super enough to want to camp out for and beat the lines? I got my kids out the door at 4:30 am last yr and we were at walmart. Almost passed out in line from lack of food(bad mama) but I didn't think overall we scored a lot of great deals. I got the laptop I wanted at target the weekend before for $199. I don't think a laptop for $99 and a fist fight is EVER worth it:) JMO but debating on going out this bf or just buying everything before and seeing how good the sales are. Thoughts? Edited by Rockfordmom
fixed title

Apart from the tradition, some of the sales are worth it for me. Other stuff I weigh the hassle vs how much I want/need vs the likelihood I'll get it and decide. I am definitely not one of the people that enjoys the hunt, however if you're outside with the right crowd that part can be fun.

Sometimes just the fun of campin' out and the excitement of the lines once ya get inside makes it all worth it. Also gotta think about just how badly ya need that laptop or HDTV. I've heard stories around the net of fist fights over the last video game system or the last laptop, but most stores in my area have security and prevent things from gettin' that heated. But goin' to BF sales pregnant might be a whole different story altogether. Guess it all depend if some of the sales you'll find out about are gonna make it worth it to you and if you're prepared enough for it.

Oh, and ya misspelled the word 'the' in your thread title. Yes, I'm very nit-picky. ;)

For me it's more tradition and the only guaranteed vacation day of the year (read: DH volunteers to watch the kids so I get time to myself). I look at it this way: if it's not on the shelf when I get there then it's not meant to be and I won't raise a big stink about it like some do. Besides, I have more fun people watching anyhow :)

I usually enjoy going for the tradition of it. I like getting out in the crowd. The attitude out there is totally different from other days and It helps me get into the holiday mood. I do find some good deals, but for me it is usually small stuff - movies, PJs, clothes, small toys, games, etc. I used to depend more on BF sales, but now I have gotten good at finding better deals on my bigger stuff at other sales/clearances throughout the year. It seems that the stores have been offering more and more items in their online sales, too. For the last couple years I spent almost the whole night up checking for BF sales to start online and have gotten almost everything I wanted that way. By the time the stores opened, my shopping list gets pretty short. Its nice for me because I can wander into a store a couple hours after they open and still get most of the things on my list.

But shopping is just part of it. I cook T-Day dinner, hang out with family, finalize my list, stay on GD almost all night ordering whatever I can (and feeding off all the excitement!), head out for a shopping spree, come home to rest a while, put up the tree, then gather up the family for a holiday parade or tree lighting ceremony. It's a crazy whirlwind weekend, but by the end I am really in the holiday mood.

I don't know your situation, but if anyone is available to watch the kids beg, plead, or work out some deal with them. I have never had to take more one kid with me on BF, at least in the early morning. I have taken a baby with me twice, which worked out fine - the baby stayed comfortable in a cart or stroller and I had a good old time shopping feeling good that baby was safe. Personally I would not be willing to take all 3 of my kids shopping on BF. For me it would be too nerveracking, constantly making sure that everyone was still together. And it is hard to get stuff for the kids when they are shopping with you. Last year I dropped my kids off with a friend. She couldn't take them until 7am, so I waited till then and went out a little later than normal. For me it was totally worth the wait because it was so much more relaxed to not have to worry about the kids in the store. The time came for me to pick them up and there was one more store I wanted to go to. Things were dying down so I picked up my kids (3, 4, and 6 years old) and took them to Boston Store with me. We got what we wanted and every one survived, but it wasn't much fun shopping with my kids. Of course, you are the best judge of you and your kids. If you think you could all handle BF shopping together, more power to you. If you would rather sit it out, many of the deals I've found on BF can be found other places and times, especially online on BF and throughout the year.

Many and most may say they go for prices. But personally prices in items I usually buy ain't nothing special. ONLY reason BF for me is still a day of shopping is economy is crap. I could buy all I want but I would spend a little more. But truly its tradition and a weird fun.

For me it is both the great deals and the thrill. It is the one and only day a year that my best friend and I go w/out kids and just enjoy each other's company. We each have 3 kids so this is fun for us. We make a big deal out of it. When we eat lunch it is always somewhere like Applebee's or Longhorn or Red Lobster.

Last year since our Wal-Mart opened at midnight we got there around 12:30. We put everything in our buggy that was not doorbuster and then got in line at the toys for the doorbusters. Neither one of us were looking for any big ticket items last year.

All we have is Wal-Mart in our town, so we always go there first. We are usually out by 6 and on then head to a town about an hour and half away from us to go to Target, KMart, TRU, Old Navy, and anywhere else we decide to go that day.

We usually have Thanksgiving dinner at my house and then last year my friend came over when we were done and we planned out how we were going to do things. My husband (who happens to be the best) kept her older boys and all 3 of my kids so we could have a great day. :) We got home around 4 that afternoon.

We have been going to BF together for about 9 years. We just have an awesome time.

Depends on what I'm after. I have made some awesome purchases on toys and other things that I had already been planning on buying. In some cases I saved over half off the price. Definately worth it.

Joann fabric is probably my only "must" shop stop... I can get a lot of fabric and doo-dads for sewing for CHEAP. I always buy extra to make blankets for homeless kids and for the Linus Project.

Dh and I have kind of made it a tradition - we shop then go out to breakfast :) It worth it just for the people watching. You see people being extra nice and you see people freaking out. Certainly helps put the holidays in perspective.

I think it really depends on what you are in the market for. I have never been looking to by a t.v. or a laptop on BF. I'm not a camper and can't imagine I ever will be! I also don't have any small kids so I'm not in the market for all the "fab. toy deals" you hear people talk about. Four years ago I would come home from BF shopping completely loaded down with stuff I had bought that day and a good 80% of my shopping done in that one day (plus goodies for me). In the past two years that's all changed IMO. I don't think the deals are as good on BF but I think a lot of that is because pricing is fairly decent around the whole shopping season and stores can't cut prices so drastically for BF. I think I go out now in hopes of making a decent dent in my list and for the tradition of spending the day with my shopping buddies. It really marks the start of the holiday season for all of us. Even though I "officially" started Christmas shopping in June ;) I think that if you love to BF shop then you should! I may choose not to tote around the little ones if at all possible but you should make the experience fun and about whatever BF shopping is for you.

The deals are nice and all, but for me, it's always been about the thrill ride; waking up before the sun, drinking some coffee to wake myself up before storming into the madhouse that is the local Wal-Mart, as I swiftly making my way through the crowd to get the goods before they're gone. I always look forward to that once-a-year adventure

Staples has great deals on BF. The lines are reasonable and they have a lot of stock, so BF is a great day to replenish -- media, thumb drives, disks, and the perennial laminator. I got a great deal on a generator at Home Depot last year. Kohls and Walmart have a lot of great deals on small ticket items (clothes, DVDs, kids toys).

I haven't seen outstanding deals on doorbusters, though. Most times these deals can be had before BF for a price close enough to keep me from camping out. Last time I camped out (and it was just a couple hours) was for a GPS.

yes it's NOT fun bringing the kids. Keeping track is the worst. And this yr I have an infant to add in the mix. But I too LOVE the thrill and the crowds. I don't go for the "BIG" items. Like you guys, I go for the walmart pjs, hoodies, etc.

I don't mean to sound rude if I do but, why on earth would people bring their kids to BF? Is it just because they don't have a babysitter? For me DH takes BF off of work, vacation day, now and before I would just have my niece sleep over to be there when the kids woke up and so when I got home I could take a nap. ;).

I don't mean to sound rude if I do but, why on earth would people bring their kids to BF? Is it just because they don't have a babysitter? For me DH takes BF off of work, vacation day, now and before I would just have my niece sleep over to be there when the kids woke up and so when I got home I could take a nap. ;).

I'm with you! Especially more than 1, including an infant and preggers to boot? Nope, you'll enjoy BF a whole lot more without the kids and probably get a whole lot more deals :-) Not to get too personal...but you did bring it up...but I'd probably look for a sale on something to avoid #6.

You'd have to beat me with a large stick to make me bring a kid shopping with me on BF! It's my one holy day of shopping. I detest shopping the other 364 days of the year and I don't want my one day ruined by chillens. For me it used to be the thrill of the chase, but since everyone started implementing these lines it's kind of ruined it. I can't be in 4 or 5 lines at once and by the time I get my truly big ticket item the other things I wanted are usually gone or the line is so long it's not worth going for. And since the other stores are making people get in lines there isn't really much point in heading across town there either. I used to have a fighting chance of getting a big ticket item at the mall and literally sprinting across the four lane road and grabbing a big ticket item at Kmart too. Now, sadly, it's not worth dodging the shocked drivers in my flashy PJs. I do still drive 60 miles on Thanksgiving to ransack the closest Kmart though. That does give me some measure of pleasure. :)

My kids stay home, I've never brought them out.

BF sales can be that great. This year I know I want a GPS(make it easier to do garage sale shopping). If I can find a 20 inch flat screen for $100, then I'll get that too. I may skip Joann's this year though, depends on if husband has to work that morning or not(if he does, then I'll just be leaving my 14yo in charge of his younger siblings) It all depends on when the stores open though, if Target opens at 5am, then I'll find a gps and tv there, then run to Joann's by 6. Make a quick trip to Office max for some cheap items(usually always memory cards, flip drives, and this year I need a portable hard drive)

I'm a single mom. No dh or babysitter. So I HAVE to take them if I want to go out. It's NOT too much fun but last yr wasn't bad actually.

I've seen mothers in line with children in one hand, a baby in the other, and pregnant to boot. And this is fairly chilly weather, not to mention in the middle of the night. :shock: Can't begin to imagine what could happen if she got trampled. No offense to all the BF shoppin' mothers out there, but it surprises me sometimes what some parents will do for a deal on BF.

Well personally I wouldn't take any small kids with me if I had them. HOWEVER! I think that everybody needs to stop acting like BF should put a ban on mom's with kids! I mean Good Lord people! Mom's have to shop too! If you think about it do you HONESTLY think that anybody would want to have a 7yr a toddler and be pregnant (for example) and out in that madness! Probably not! Those women probably especially need a great deal on some little kids clothing and toys. So lighten up a bit. And IMO - be nice to these people when you see them on on BF don't just roll your eyes and complain about how some crazy woman brought her kids out on BF. She probably didn't have the option of leaving her toddler snoozing the way you did.

This topic of kids and preg women at BF comes up every year and I think most people's concern is safety. Every year you hear about people getting seriously hurt and 2 years ago we had a death.

Well personally I wouldn't take any small kids with me if I had them. HOWEVER! I think that everybody needs to stop acting like BF should put a ban on mom's with kids! I mean Good Lord people! Mom's have to shop too! If you think about it do you HONESTLY think that anybody would want to have a 7yr a toddler and be pregnant (for example) and out in that madness! Probably not! Those women probably especially need a great deal on some little kids clothing and toys. So lighten up a bit. And IMO - be nice to these people when you see them on on BF don't just roll your eyes and complain about how some crazy woman brought her kids out on BF. She probably didn't have the option of leaving her toddler snoozing the way you did.

I don't know, princess, but there is not enough savings out there for me (and I'm a guy) to put a child (born or unborn) at risk. I didn't offer to take my oldest until he was fifteen. You can talk about rights and fairness, but I see a little kid freezing and getting pressed in a crowd then waiting in line for hours on end. Find a relative or friend or do BF online.

No One is saying kids should be banned! I personally would never do it. Like Jim said it's just too dangerous and uncomfortable for the kids! And how much X-Mas shopping can you really do with the kids with you? Ya the babies don't know that difference but still. Yes, there are many single mothers out there but do they really have NO other option than to bring their kids? Honestly, I get a little upset when I see crying kids in their PJ's at Walmart at 11 at night. My kids come first, not shopping.

If I were you since you are pregnant and have four kids to take w/you, I would see if I could get most of mine online and then head out just a little bit later to avoid the rush. That way you get the best of both worlds..:D I know alot of times you can still get a lot of great deals and avoid the huge rush.

At our local Walmart I would say about 10% of everyone shopping brings their little ones. We do live in a small community though and you pretty much know everyone or at least one of their family members. It is very safe at our local Walmart (that is all we have in our town).

However, I have three kids, my older ones are 12 and then a 3 year old (will be 4 next month). I do not take my kids now, but I have taken at least one in the past. My husband was sick one year and I did not want to leave him with both kids (this was before my youngest was born). I kept him in a buggy and I waited until the mad dash was over. We were there around 5:30 to avoid it. I actually went after the Nintendo Gamecube...wow that seems like so long ago..lol.

I do not like to see the little ones running around though because I do worry about their safety. My best friend has taken at least one of her kids 4 or 5 years bc her husband worked weekends.

The only reason I would take mine is if I didn't have anyone to keep them and I needed some good deals. I know that BF is the only reason my kids get a decent Christmas every year. If it were not for the BF sales my kids might get two things each. So I'm sure that the parents take their kids out bc of "have to" rather than "want to".

Good Luck!