Gift ideas for kids

davephillyj

How much are you looking at spending. I got my DD12 an Ipod touch last year and DS14 got one 2 years ago, They both love it and use them all the time. I am actually upgrading DS14 to a new one this year since he has been having problems with his. You can get an 8gb for $229. Or you can get an older generation at the apple store for $199 (new) or less (for a refurburished one if you want to go that route) Last year I got DD Ipod from BB for $199 but I got a $50 gift card with it.

How is he about pictures? Another idea is a Digital camera. Since he likes legos, when he builds something he could take pictures of it so he has a record of it. My DS14 did that for years after he got his 1st digital camera. He even still does it if he builds with his legos or his erector set. Now that he is on Varsity swim team he takes his camera to meets and practices and takes candid shots of what is going on and posts to his Facebook account.

I have the opposite problem. My 11yo son does not want toys, hasn't in a couple of years. Or he'll ask for a couple, then they don't get played with. He thinks he's older like his brother.

Last year he got a Zune, and just loves it, uses it constantly. Digital cameras are a great idea, or even a little video camera. This year he is getting a Kindle, and new stuff for his room to make it a "big boy room" - posters, new sheets, etc.

On another note, my 14yo son is actually the one that still asks for, and plays with, both Legos and Transformers, so if that's what he wants, and he plays with it, I say buy it for him!

My youngest loved legos until he turned 13. He plays the Lego Star Wars and other computer games still. He has an ipod touch, he started with a used Nano I had but since he was responsible, we gave him a touch at his 13th birthday. Personally I think the new nanos are cool and want one for Christmas to wear when I work out. I think a digital camera might be good or a Flip video camera, he can animate the Legos, there are some videos on You Tube.

I agree with the digital camera. He can take still shots to make stopmotion videos. My 11 yr old loves doing this, it's very creative. How about music CDs (teenish music) if you're not ready for the ipod scene yet. My son is the same; not really in to video games. He is really in to current music, singing along and wanting to know who sings this song, etc (we don't watch MTV/VH1). My mom took him shopping for clothes and he picked out some "really epic" clothes that really make him look older/teenish; they were mostly Tony Hawk things. His friends have been complimenting him and he feels really cool. He bought himself a Miami Ink hat at Target - it has the newer flat type brim, he's very excited with that. He also bought a disco light with his bday gift card (I noticed they are on clearance at Target now). He is still in to toys though; I wouldn't worry about that. I have a 14 yr old too who just gave up Legos at about 13. He still likes to build things and make the movies on occasion, he has one friend who comes over and they build weird things if they are bored.

Anyone ever have a hard time buying for a two year old girl? My oldest dd 4 (5 in nov) is SO easy to buy for and ds7 is pretty easy as well, I am just having a hard time trying to think of what to get dd2 she just had a birthday so got a lot of clothes, and some toys. I know we are working with pottying so underware is a MUST!..I was just looking for some other ideas.

Anyone ever have a hard time buying for a two year old girl? My oldest dd 4 (5 in nov) is SO easy to buy for and ds7 is pretty easy as well, I am just having a hard time trying to think of what to get dd2 she just had a birthday so got a lot of clothes, and some toys. I know we are working with pottying so underware is a MUST!..I was just looking for some other ideas.

my dd loves any type of art stuff...crayons paper stickers playdough glitter (if you're brave lol..) pipe cleaners glue stick cotton balls craft sticks.... last year (when she was 2) i made her a huge art box painted her name on it and then let her "decorate it" she LOVED it!! she also loves dvd's books and puzzles!! good luck

• 1 month later...

I am almost done shopping for my kids. Except for my 4yo son. He is not really "in to" anything except wrestling and he already has a few different rings and so many of the wrestlers.

I told all of the kids that they are not goign to get as much this year as they usually do because I am just sick of all of the little toys, and I am sick of them not playing with stuff and then us giving it away unopened. So I told each of them to ask for a few larger items instead of all of the little stuff. I had not problems with the other kids. The only thing he asked for is a train whistle and a lego robot. I bought both of those. I need to get him about 4 gifts that are about $50.00 each. Any suggestions?

wow lucky kids hot wheels are on sale all over now for .77 get a bunch of those along with a rug that has a city printed on it.he will love that

how about that electromagnetic ball toys r us has them you put your hand ion it and can see the current

i still think sing a ma jigs are cute doesnt matter if its a boyor girl these arent really dolls they are just a cute toy

For my 4 year son, we bought him Criss Cross crash, Batman castle, Geo trax airplane, dsi and some games, Iron man robot, a new bike, action figures, crayola stuff, character pj's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XMbMg3qXL._AA160_.jpg

Criss-cross crash

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410hM4yOacL._AA160_.jpg

batman castle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wNn60rJBL._AA115_.jpg

Geo Trax

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xLVwUS0LL._AA115_.jpg

DSI

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-UxhB6qpL._AA115_.jpg

Iron man robot

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PGCGuH4oL._AA115_.jpg

We got him this last year and he still plays with it daily. Dragon World Fortress

He has the tag reading system, the geo trax airplane thing. He already has a Dsi XL with a ton of games. He did ask for that criss cross crash thing. I am just not a fan of those hot wheel set up things. they never seem to last more than a few days around here. Maybe I will price it.

Tonight he told me he wants a monster truck wrestling ring. not sure what that is. I will have to take a look and see if I can figure that one out.

Still open for any other suggestions. he is not really into toys much besides the wrestling figures. I have three kids older than him so he tends to want to do what they do.

I am almost done shopping for my kids. Except for my 4yo son. He is not really "in to" anything except wrestling and he already has a few different rings and so many of the wrestlers.

I told all of the kids that they are not goign to get as much this year as they usually do because I am just sick of all of the little toys, and I am sick of them not playing with stuff and then us giving it away unopened. So I told each of them to ask for a few larger items instead of all of the little stuff. I had not problems with the other kids. The only thing he asked for is a train whistle and a lego robot. I bought both of those. I need to get him about 4 gifts that are about $50.00 each. Any suggestions?

Boxing gloves? My husband and his brothers had them and he still talks about them. However he is the oldest of three so if your situation is different it might not be so good. :)

I have the same issue. I'm getting my 11 year old that is into art a Bob Ross paint set. I think the master set actually includes a video tutorial. They are available at both Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

Those sets are nice.

Have you thought about an Acrylic paint set? I'm only asking because clean up is easier with acrylic than it is with oil paint. You can also add different mediums to it to thicken or thin and even use it like watercolor.

He has the tag reading system, the geo trax airplane thing. He already has a Dsi XL with a ton of games. He did ask for that criss cross crash thing. I am just not a fan of those hot wheel set up things. they never seem to last more than a few days around here. Maybe I will price it.

Tonight he told me he wants a monster truck wrestling ring. not sure what that is. I will have to take a look and see if I can figure that one out.

Still open for any other suggestions. he is not really into toys much besides the wrestling figures. I have three kids older than him so he tends to want to do what they do.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OnyZ1hSyL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Cars Toon Monster Truck Wrastlin' Ring

Also, how about a remote control monster truck, a trampoline, bike, scooter, paper jamz, basketball hoop, nerf gun, portable dvd player, reader rabbit computer games, fisher price kid tough digital camera, inline skates, hockey net and hockey sticks, a new sled, hmmm...I'll keep thinking...

My son is 11. He loooooves Nerf guns. They're annoying, but harmless. He has a paper jamz guitar, which he likes. He gave one to a friend at a birthday party and it was a big hit. I'm sure he'd love a marshmallow shooter too, although I'm not sure I would! He got an electronics snap together electronic set last year from Radio Shack, which was kind of cool.