Black Friday Product Comparison Charts (Updated for 2010)

stationchief

Well, it's that time of year, folks! First off, for those who missed me during BF 2009 (and the comparison charts), thanx for all the kind words. Thanx go out to 'Swim100flyy' and those who helped coverin' the BF 2009 charts for me while I was away. And my apologies for vanishin' on y'all for over a year. It's a long story tha goes into my unemployment, my divorce, and just a bunch of personal woes that got the better of me last year. I'm doin' 10 times better nowdays. Maybe I'll blog a few pages about it someday. Or write a book. These last few years would make a great novel.

Anyhoo, I'm back for BF 2010, and that means so are the ... ::INSERT THEME MUSIC HERE:: ...

Black Friday 2010 Product Comparison Charts!

For those who don't know, I've been responsible for puttin' up comparison charts for the BF desktops and laptops for the past several years. Since 2005 if memory serves correctly. Has it been that long? :eek: In 2007 I strayed away from the MS Excel page-type look of the charts and coded a frontend and a database that allowed folks to select what they wanna see and how they wanna see it. Been plannin on updatin' this for some time but, as I said before, things in my life got a lil' outta hand these last few years.

Well, now I've got some new ideas and great stuff planned for this year. First thing I'd like everyone to do is go to my new website and check out the comparison chart from last year. Thanx to 'inogenius' for providing the space and bandwidth as well as helpin' me get the site up, and thanx again to 'Swim100flyy' and co. for the laptop/netbook info. ;) Last year's charts are at the same place where the 2010 charts are going to be: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com. It's the same setup as 2008, just with the added 2009 info. Go check it out and tell me what'cha think about the chart setup. There's lots of features. What do ya like? What don'tcha like? Easy enough to use? Any improvements you'd like to see this year? Don't be afraid if it sounds too far fetched. That's my job to worry about that. :D

One thing I've got planned is to not only include the desktops and laptops this year, but ALL the major electronics. To pul this off I might need some help with researchin' the specific details of the different products (size, make, model, screen type, resolution, etc) so I'll be askin' for volunteers to help with that. You'll be using my web based admin pages to enter all that info, so no coding experience necessary. More on that later.

Current TO-DO list planned so far. I'll update as I go along:

Changing the overall look and colors a lil' bit to match the 'pleasing' visual appearance appropriate of the GD web site. This is the part I have the most problem with. I'm a coder geek, not a multimedia guru. (DONE)Adding a feature to allow ya to select what details to view. All that tekkie mumbo-jumbo is good for some but intimidating to others. Let's say ya just wanna copmpare the different HDTV screen sizes or just the laptops' memory and hard drive capacities. (ABILITY TO FILTER BY STORES DONE)A printable view. Just a lil' feature to put all the info up (with what features you've selected to compare) in another window and in a more printer-friendly format. More charts to select from other than just desktops/laptops/netbooks. Wanna get just about all the major electronics, either BF sales or doorbusters, in this. (DONE)

Currently on the list of charts to be made for 2010 (UPDATED 11-12-10):

DesktopsLaptopsNetbooksDigital Cameras, PAS/SLI/KiddiesDigital CamcordersVideo Game SystemsVideo GamesGPS Navigation SystemsHDTVsBlu-ray playersTablets/iPadseReadersMP3 playersiPodsDVD Players/SystemsPortable DVD Players... and more!

(what have I gotten myself into?! :shock:)If anyone can think of anythin' else, speak up please!

Once again, thanx go out to 'inogenius' for helping set up the web site. And thanx to 'Swim100flyy' and those responsible for makin' last year's laptop/netbook chart in my absebce. And let's not forget to thank the team of GD members that helped out with filling out the chars this year. Couldn't have done all this without such an awesome group of crazy peeps!

Lemme know what y'all think!

http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com

UPDATE: The 2010 charts are up and running! Go check 'em out!

Edited by stationchief

I'm still trying to figure out if I'll have a job after October but if I don't I can assist researching/inputting specs. It looks like you only have sort by price, maybe add that functionality to other columns such as memory/hard drive size. Also, maybe add links or just a column advising if it's expected to be available online.

Goodluck with the design, I can google/patch up a lot of stuff but it's impossible for me to make anything look pleasing.

Thanx, tinkrbel. And there is that same sorting functuality for all the columns in every chart. Just click on any column title to sort it by either ascending or descending. Ya can even click on a row to sort it to the top, in case ya wanna see that one up front. I tried to make it as easy as I could to figure out. Mayb I should post a brief instruction manual?

Far as the overall asthetic design, I'm afraid I often fall flat as well. Which side of the brain deals with logic/numbers and which deals with imagination/creativity? My brain is welded into the logic and number crunchin' side.

Otherwise, what did ya think of the charts? Any ideas come to mind?

I think it looks good otherwise. I'm probably getting cheapest laptop available meeting some minimum spec requirement probably memory and a decent processor but I haven't come up with that yet. Hoping to avoid BB at all costs, its ridiculous around these parts and people are barely decent on a good day nevermind BF. I'm hoping for something online TurkeyDay to be honest.

I looked over this at work earlier and maybe I had clicked on price before which is why I got arrows which lead me to sort options. Maybe just default the arrows or have a drop down list to sort by to avoid manual? I think this is a huge undertaking to do all electronics but I think it's a fabulous idea and will be well appreciated.

Are these BF only deals? Recently the deals that are discussed spread through the weekend. So, my question is are you considering putting the deals that are available through the weekend?Also, can the dates of availability be placed on the chart?

These are gonna be BF 2010 deals and possibly concurrent deals, like Cyber Monday. Unfortunately I don't have the time to put in all deals on GD all the time. But it could be used as such, as we can put in availability dates and so forth. Maybe be able to have it sort for deals between certain dates. Might be a neat idea if we can expand this thing further someday, and if one of Brad's info gurus can assis with enterin' all that info. :yup:

Edited by stationchief

I looked over this at work earlier and maybe I had clicked on price before which is why I got arrows which lead me to sort options. Maybe just default the arrows or have a drop down list to sort by to avoid manual?

A drop-down list instead of the pointy arrows is possible, and probably more user friendly. See, I don't realize these things ahead of time. Gotta learn to think more like a non-tekkie. ;)

I think this is a huge undertaking to do all electronics but I think it's a fabulous idea and will be well appreciated.

Well, I'm only doin' the computers (desktops/laptops/netbooks). That's why I'll require some assistance entering in the info for everythin' else, somethin' like one person per one chart.

What other charts do y'all wanna see? HDTVs? Cameras/camcorders? DVD/blu-ray players? Think of anythin' else?

I'm thinking tv's and bluray players will be popular items.

I'm hoping to get a new home theatre system but need to see if maybe I can get away with just a receiver with more hdmi inputs/outputs and get existing speakers to work with it. I think when I bought it reviews mentioned complicated splicing and such:( I'm sure it can't be that difficult I just don't like the idea of ruining current ones and then being out a set of good speakers.

Well, it's that time of year, folks! First off, for those who missed me during BF 2009 (and the comparison charts), thanx for all the kind words. Thanx go out to 'Swim100flyy' and those who helped coverin' the BF 2009 charts for me while I was away. And my apologies for vanishin' on y'all for over a year. It's a long story tha goes into my unemployment, my divorce, and just a bunch of personal woes that got the better of me last year. I'm doin' 10 times better nowdays. Maybe I'll blog a few pages about it someday. Or write a book. These last few years would make a great novel.

Anyhoo, I'm back for BF 2010, and that means so are the ... ::INSERT THEME MUSIC HERE:: ...

Black Friday 2010 Comparison Charts!

For those who don't know, I've been responsible for puttin' up comparison charts for the BF desktops and laptops for the past several years. Since 2005 if memory serves correctly. Has it been that long? :eek: In 2007 I strayed away from the MS Excel page-type look of the charts and coded a frontend and a database that allowed folks to select what they wanna see and how they wanna see it. Been plannin on updatin' this for some time but, as I said before, things in my life got a lil' outta hand these last few years.

Well, now I've got some new ideas and great stuff planned for this year. First thing I'd like everyone to do is go to my new website and check out the comparison chart from last year. Thanx to 'inogenius' for providing the space and bandwidth as well as helpin' me get the site up, and thanx again to 'Swim100flyy' and co. for the laptop/netbook info. ;) Last year's charts are right here: http://thestationchief.com/gottadeal/GDCC2009. It's the same setup as 2008, just with the added 2009 info. Go check it out and tell me what'cha think about the chart setup. There's lots of features. What do ya like? What don'tcha like? Easy enough to use? Any improvements you'd like to see this year? Don't be afraid if it sounds too far fetched. That's my job to worry about that. :D

One thing I've got planned is to not only include the desktops and laptops this year, but ALL the major electronics. To pul this off I might need some help with researchin' the specific details of the different products (size, make, model, screen type, resolution, etc) so I'll be askin' for volunteers to help with that. You'll be using my web based admin pages to enter all that info, so no coding experience necessary. More on that later.

Here's a TO-DO list I've got planned so far. I'll update as I go along:

• Changing the overall look and colors a lil' bit to match the 'pleasing' visual appearance appropriate of the GD web site. This is the part I have the most problem with. I'm a coder geek, not a multimedia guru.
  • Adding a feature to allow ya to select what details to view. All that tekkie mumbo-jumbo is good for some but intimidating to others. Let's say ya just wanna copmpare the different HDTV screen sizes or just the laptops' memory and hard drive capacities.
  • A printable view. Just a lil' feature to put all the info up (with what features you've selected to compare) in another window and in a more printer-friendly format.
  • More charts to select from other than just desktops/laptops/netbooks. Wanna get just about all the major electronics, either BF sales or doorbusters, in this. Probably be takin' volunteers for help with that. More on that laters.

Once again, thanx go out to 'inogenius' for helping set up the web site. And thanx to 'Swim100flyy' and those responsible for makin' last year's laptop/netbook chart in my absebce.

Lemme know what y'all think!

Can we do this for GPS too?

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for us. I am always buying electronics and such but know nothing really about comparing them, just get the one the kids say they want, and the one I can afford, etc... So, once again, thank you so much!

No prob! :D

Ya could always use the charts to compare prices and show the kiddies their available choices.

These are gonna be BF 2010 deals and possibly concurrent deals, like Cyber Monday. Unfortunately I don't have the time to put in all deals on GD all the time. But it could be used as such, as we can put in availability dates and so forth. Maybe be able to have it sort for deals between certain dates. Might be a neat idea if we can expand this thing further someday, and if one of Brad's info gurus can assis with enterin' all that info. :yup:

I just meant for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales only. I just know I have to go back a million times to look at ads to make sure I go on the correct day. lol Thanks for the chart. I will need it this year.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the chart is great, Maybe a little bigger (as far as print size) & the font is bold. That might help for us who squint, hehe. I also think simple Black & white would be good, just incase some colors might now show as well on different computers. I have a tendancy to not be able to see yellows & lighter greens on my comp. I really like the idea to click on the price/brand/exc... and view them in asending or decending order! Nice!

Stationchief - I think you've done a great job (and all your helpers!)

What about adding Netbooks?

Another suggestion, because I didn't know until I 'accidentally' clicked on it, I think pointing out that you can sort by store/memory/brand/etc is nice. That could be a little marque that runs across the top of the screen, maybe.

I also agree with the above users' suggestion on an increased font size - this looks to be a size 6 or 8, I think. I'd go with 10 or 12 for normal/average folks. But maybe an option to increase the font size? (not sure if that is possible to add)

Thanks for having the old charts on there too. I looked back and realized I bought my desktop in '05! Yikes! I didn't think it was THAT long ago! LOL Guess I'm doing something right cuz it's still going strong! I've added RAM, replaced a CP fan, do maintenance and have good security. HP rocks! ;)

Very nice! I like the way you can sort the listing based on what is most important to you. I think that will prove to be most useful.

The one suggestion I would have is to put a little note there that tells people they can sort this way. It just may not be obvious to some visitors (and then all that hard work for nothing!)

We're gettin' ready for Black Friday, everyone. Therefore I'd like to make a shout out to anyone who wants to help out with entering information into the charts this year.

No experience in programming or anything is necessary. Just internet access is required and perhaps a desire for hunting down product information, like through a manufacturer's website for example. Basically, you'll be given a product category to manage. Each time a new ad is released usually the product's model number will be found with it. I just need people to hunt down the info and enter it in through text via my web site.

Just to give everyone a heads up to what we're up against, last ear there were approximately: 90 HDTVs, 70 digital cameras (PAS, SLI, Kiddie), 60 GPS navigation systems, 40 laptops/netbooks, 30 video cameras/camcorders, and 20 blu-ray players. That's not including stereo systems, video game systems, and any others that may end up on the charts. So as ya can see, the more hands we get on this the merrier.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM. Thanx in advance, and in the words of Margo Channing, 'Fasten your seatbelts, it gonna be a bumpy 2010 Black Friday!' :evil:

Ok SC, what about all these Tablets that are out? There's the iPad, the Galaxy Tab, the Blackberry one just got revealed and there is supposed to be at least one more by BF. Do you think any of these will go on sale and if we should make a chart? I'll do it if you think it's needed. :) Oh and I can do the video games systems too because I might be getting a new system this year. :)

Ok SC, what about all these Tablets that are out? There's the iPad, the Galaxy Tab, the Blackberry one just got revealed and there is supposed to be at least one more by BF. Do you think any of these will go on sale and if we should make a chart? I'll do it if you think it's needed. :) Oh and I can do the video games systems too because I might be getting a new system this year. :)

Tablets/eReaders/iPads added to the list. I have a feelin' they're gonna be very popular this year, so we better put 'em on there.

Supposedly, "hand held electronics" will be very hot this year. I'm not sure if MP3/MP4s will really be that hot as most everyone has one already.

If a list gets really big, it would be nice to sort in multiple categories. Like a few years ago when HDTVs were all in the ad. I think even Petsmart and ACE hardware even carried some specifically for BF. If we get another one of those, we may need extra sort capabilities to figure out ease of capture vs. cost.

Wow, stationchief - I've honestly never noticed the comparison charts before and I have to give you a lot of credit - it's a comparison shopper's dream! If it wouldn't be too much to ask if you could add a feature to the BluRay/DVD players - internet connectivity. I am kind of assuming that nearly all the models will have that capability but would not want to make a purchase and then find out too late it isn't there... Thank you so much for all your hard work!