family gift ideas

ShoppingChick13

I am already thinking of some gift ideas for family and friends for Christmas. Most everyone we give gifts to live out of state. So shipping is always a factor and it just gets more expensive each year, especially now that my niece and nephews are no longer babies, but toddlers and a soon to be teenager. (their toys seem to get heavier and bigger as they get older):yup:

We typically give one gift each to my husbands brothers (2) and their wives and 2 gifts to their kids (4 total, 3 are under 5yrs old and one will be 13 soon. Also 3 are boys and 1 is a beautiful little girl)

This year I am thinking of getting a family gift, like a gift card for the family and then a small gift each for the kids. So maybe a $50 gift card + a small gift for each child,for the family of 5 and a $30 gift card + small gift for their son for the family of 3.

What do you all think? Do you think it is okay to give a smaller amount to the smaller family? What kind of gift cards does your family like to receive?

Last year we spent about $50- $60 shipping out two packages to his brothers (one each) and I would much rather spend that money on gifts, then shipping.

Any ideas are appreciated.

What are some gift ideas you have come up with for family and friends?

Edited by Rockfordmom
edited title

One of my boys lives in NV so last year I did free shipping through Amazon and told him not to open. Then I mailed one package through USPS with the flat rate box. But you're right shipping is expensive. My in-laws use to send money for the family here, but last year did gift cards so the couples could have a night out. The teenage would enjoy a gift card but I am not sure about the younger ones. Could you ask their parents to get them something from you and put under the tree if you sent the money? Could you order from somewhere with free shipping and then she could wrap it for you?

I spent about 80-90 on shipping last year so I definatley know where you are coming from!

I think giftcards are a great idea. Alot of people really like them so I would just get it to their favorite stores. I think the gc should just be in the amount that you would normally spend on them..no more or less.

What I do with my sister is I buy for my kids what she wants me to buy them and then she sends me a check for what I spent so she doesnt have to pay shipping. I di the same with her. However, the shopping I do on bf is worth to ship because I save so much , even when u factor in shiping it is a better deal!

Gift cards are even great for little ones my kids loved them around febaury when the were bored with what they got for christmas we could go shopping for free. Great for the parents as well.

I spent about 80-90 on shipping last year so I definatley know where you are coming from!

I think giftcards are a great idea. Alot of people really like them so I would just get it to their favorite stores. I think the gc should just be in the amount that you would normally spend on them..no more or less.

What I do with my sister is I buy for my kids what she wants me to buy them and then she sends me a check for what I spent so she doesnt have to pay shipping. I di the same with her. However, the shopping I do on bf is worth to ship because I save so much , even when u factor in shiping it is a better deal!

I know that my kids when they were younger loved getting fastfood gift cards such as McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Buger King.. They were so excited to be able to go up and pay for their own meals with their cards. Also Pizza Hut gift cards were nice. You could find out what their favorite places are. I liked it because there were times I didn't have the money to take them out and this was a special treat for them. Just an idea!

How about a family membership to the local zoo,science musuem or children's museum? Or even a pass to a nearby amusement park? We have received those in the past from my brother and they are always appreciated and something to look forward to at Spring Break or anytime. I love to shop for gifts for little ones too and they always love to unwrap something so maybe something small that could fit in the USPS flat rate box as mentioned previously.

• 1 month later...
My shipping was $250 last year. I am really trying to think ahead and do something differant too. I have to send/ship something to all of my family, and they are all over the place! I wish I only had "family" gifts to prepare for, but since they are sooo spread out , it requires individual ones. UGH! I am thinking of "Harry and David" this year to all of them!!LOL!

For DH's family overseas (and that's everyone) we try to ship a big box or two. It costs like $100 per box and takes several weeks to get there but there's no weight limit :) If we don't have the money for that and the shopping needed to fill the box(es) then we wire money and I still try to send a small box with chocolates for my nephews and niece.

My shipping was $250 last year. I am really trying to think ahead and do something differant too. I have to send/ship something to all of my family, and they are all over the place! I wish I only had "family" gifts to prepare for, but since they are sooo spread out , it requires individual ones. UGH! I am thinking of "Harry and David" this year to all of them!!LOL!

Last year Harry and David had great sales during the T-giving/BF weekend! The sales were on their website.

My go to- cheap family gift is a gift basket. We have done a big bowl, couple bags of popcorn, a movie and some boxes of candy and throw in some movie gift cards. Last year someone posted directions on filling 2 liter bottles like a gift basket. When you put a little uniqueness into it, you can get away with it being a lot cheaper I think!

• 2 weeks later...