What are the HOT toys for this year?

ChristmasShopping

I received an email from vTech about their new handheld system, Mobigo, its a touchscreen. I was looking to put this on my dd8's list, but I have one problem: I looked it up on walmart.com & it said age range is 3-8, but the highest age range for the games I saw was 5-7, I believe. I would like to get the system, but don't know if the games will be challenging enough for her. Anyone seen this or already purchased this? Thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance.

Does she have a nintendo DS? Our DD8 has one and we bought some education games for her DS that really challenge her. She loves it and the math game has really helped her bring her math grade up in school too.

im going to go in Aug. (when DH starts getting bigger checks) and get alot of the bigger toy story stuff. Ive been buying little $tree stuff here and there for stockings and such. Pillow pets is on my sons wishlist too but im not ordering it,they should be like the snuggies last yr!

Does she have a nintendo DS? Our DD8 has one and we bought some education games for her DS that really challenge her. She loves it and the math game has really helped her bring her math grade up in school too.

Yes, she has a DS. She has asked for a DSi, so that will be for Christmas. ....thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the educational games. For some reason, wheb I think DS, I just think entetainment, but when I think Leapster, education always somes to mind. But, I guess, I can make her DS educational & entertaining. Thanks again :)

ok so on the GMA video about the Christmas in July sales they had the "sing-a-ma-jigs" there to show on the sjype interview and she said they were going to be a hot toy. So please....if your kids want these please try to get them now...before we have another crazy holiday toy year again! lol I dont want TRU opening at midnight again pack to the gills for these things like last yr with the zhu zhu's :)

I went to TRU to let my little girl pick something out for her birthday and they had this big display for "Dance Star Mickey" with a little video you could watch about it. They are taking pre-orders for it and it's going to be 70.00. I think it might be a pretty big item this year for the little ones.

I went to TRU to let my little girl pick something out for her birthday and they had this big display for "Dance Star Mickey" with a little video you could watch about it. They are taking pre-orders for it and it's going to be 70.00. I think it might be a pretty big item this year for the little ones.

I saw this 2. My son would LOVE this but I think 70.00 is a little insane for a stuffed animal that just does a few tricks...

The Dance Star Mickey is in TRU ad for this week showing info about the preorder and also if you go to Fisher Price's website and search for Dance Star Mickey, it will show a little info on it. I think 70 is a little crazy too, but Grandma is getting one for dd2.

It may be pricey and big but my kids are dying for an iPad. Is this bad? With all the apps and games available, it beats most game consoles and it's portable. I'm thinking of going with the iPod Touch instead at this point...

I think I have 2 ipads on the Santa list this year. My DS12 got an ipod touch for 6th grade graduation and loves it, and I simply cannot think of anything better for him and his brother. they are past toys, and you can only buy so many clothes and shoes!!

Though they won't be announcing the price and release date until Sept. 29th, if it does make it out this year, the Nintendo 3DS will be HUGE, I think. As a gamer, haven't seen this much hype online and in magazines like what there is for it in a long time-- it blew people away at E3 this year, and has massive 3rd party support already (one quote from someone in the industry said something like "This is the toy of the future"). Basically, it is Nintendo's newest handheld, and will be backwards compatible with DS games, but what it does is produce a 3-D effect without the need for glasses. If your kids are big on video games, may want to keep an eye out on that announcement day and if it does fall before the holidays, put in a preorder as soon as you can if you want to try to get one.

Though they won't be announcing the price and release date until Sept. 29th, if it does make it out this year, the Nintendo 3DS will be HUGE, I think. As a gamer, haven't seen this much hype online and in magazines like what there is for it in a long time-- it blew people away at E3 this year, and has massive 3rd party support already (one quote from someone in the industry said something like "This is the toy of the future"). Basically, it is Nintendo's newest handheld, and will be backwards compatible with DS games, but what it does is produce a 3-D effect without the need for glasses. If your kids are big on video games, may want to keep an eye out on that announcement day and if it does fall before the holidays, put in a preorder as soon as you can if you want to try to get one.

I know DS wants this for Christmas. He has already said so. I just wish I knew what kind of price we are looking at.

I know DS wants this for Christmas. He has already said so. I just wish I knew what kind of price we are looking at.

Most of the guesses I'm seeing are in the $199-$249 range... IGN recently posted a good article on the 3DS where they expect that it will be under $200- http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1094930p1.html However, if it makes it in time for the holidays and supplies are short, I think it will be going for way, way more online in auctions.

However, if it makes it in time for the holidays and supplies are short, I think it will be going for way, way more online in auctions.

I've worked at TRU during the holidays for the last 5 years so I know I will be able to get one. I am really good friends with everyone in that department

I agree that the 3DS will be a HUGE hit for the holidays. I think we touched on it in a couple of the previous posts. If it does come out in time for Christmas, I hope they lower the price of the dsi xl, that's what my dd8 wants. But, if the price happens to be ~$200, then I just may get it being as tho the dis xl is $190. ......I'm wondering if the screen on the 3DS will be big like the xl???

I agree that the 3DS will be a HUGE hit for the holidays. I think we touched on it in a couple of the previous posts. If it does come out in time for Christmas, I hope they lower the price of the dsi xl, that's what my dd8 wants. But, if the price happens to be ~$200, then I just may get it being as tho the dis xl is $190. ......I'm wondering if the screen on the 3DS will be big like the xl???

Somewhat smaller, it looks like-

Top Screen: 3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen: 3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen. (from GameFAQs. I think the XL screens are 4.2")

I was pretty set on an XL myself before the 3DS announcements at E3, even though I already have a regular DSi and a couple DSLs; I'm still tempted to get one for my husband. It will be nice if they drop the price on it. Though some games are supposed to look way nicer on the XL, it isn't as easy to carry around, so the 3DS will be a bit more portable.