xm radio costs???

Thanks so much for the heads up! We have been paying $34.95/mo for 3 units for who knows how long -since we first got XM! My husband called yesterday, told them he wanted to cancel, sent him to their cancellation dept and we now have it for 5 months for $46 total! Score!

• 7 months later...

Looking around, apparently the best deal right now is $77 + $8 for the royalty fee for a full year, or $30 for 6 months including the royalty fee.

I cancelled it on my wife's old Nissan we just traded, but I'll have to get it turned on for her new Acura. When I called to cancel, they offered to transfer over the 14 days remaining on her old plan but I was thinking that my wife would be happy with the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Guess again! ;)

So, I'll give 'em a call and see what I can get.

• 1 month later...
WOW I didn't know satellite radio had gone up so much. Do they still offer the lifetime rates? I got my husband one for Christmas 5 years ago and at the time a yearly rate were $99 and a lifetime rate was $298. I got the lifetime rate because it made more sense. It came with the radio for the car and a boom box for inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking around, apparently the best deal right now is $77 + $8 for the royalty fee for a full year, or $30 for 6 months including the royalty fee.

I cancelled it on my wife's old Nissan we just traded, but I'll have to get it turned on for her new Acura. When I called to cancel, they offered to transfer over the 14 days remaining on her old plan but I was thinking that my wife would be happy with the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Guess again! ;)

So, I'll give 'em a call and see what I can get.

That's odd....why would they offer a BETTER deal on 6 months than on a whole year? At the rates you posted, it makes a LOT more sense to do 6 months at a time!

That's odd....why would they offer a BETTER deal on 6 months than on a whole year? At the rates you posted, it makes a LOT more sense to do 6 months at a time!

When I called to set her up with XM, they wanted a code from the e-mail for the 6 months for $30. I didn't have it, of course, hence the 1 year subscription I signed up for.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW I didn't know satellite radio had gone up so much. Do they still offer the lifetime rates? I got my husband one for Christmas 5 years ago and at the time a yearly rate were $99 and a lifetime rate was $298. I got the lifetime rate because it made more sense. It came with the radio for the car and a boom box for inside.

We got my hubby the lifetime rate too about 4-5 years back. When we bought my new vehicle earlier this year I called about the yearly rate and he quoted me at $800! I said no thanks and got the $80 yearly rate that auto renews.

• 6 months later...

Good grief, my service auto renewed today for $120, not the $80 the guy quoted me. What a joke trying to deal with the cancellation department. So I'm stuck paying the $120 or not having the service.

Allow yourself and hour and call them and refuse to pay that much. I did that last year and they dropped it to $80. This year they jacked it up again and I called to tell them it was suppose to be $80 and they informed me that was a one time thing. I informed that it wasn't one time for me and finally got a supervisor to give it to me for another year but he said next year I won't get that price. You wanna bet? I've been a subscriber for almost 5 years and you are gonna drop me. Doubt it.

The lady at the cancellation department said no they couldn't give me that price again because it was a special so we have to charge you the regular price now and its only $120 with the 30% discount you are getting for multiple vehicles. I told her they never told me it was a special price, I asked how much the year subscription was and the man told me $80. So then she asked me what I wanted to do, pay the $120 or cancel service. I told her I would talk to my hubby and call back. So I guess my question is, were you really prepared to cancel? I love having it but am really frustrated about them changing the price on me. I have a hard drive in the vehicle so its not that big of a deal, but still.

I will post after I call back. Thanks for your advice.

I was prepared to cancel. Tell them you are going to cancel and see how it goes. I think it was when they sent me to the cancelation department that they offered the better price. Tell the person you are talking to at first that you want their supervisior. That's what I did this last time. If you get to the cancelation department and they still don't offer it back out before it's a completely done deal. I think they want business bad enough they will keep you.

i found this on a google search...it was posted 2/20/12

I have xm and if you call and cancel every time your subscription is up they will give you 5 months for 25 bucks. I've done it 3 times already, they are desperate to keep subscribers. Slacker and pandora work too but a lot of times if you wont be able to keep strong enough connection to play consistently. I love XM because of the electronic music stations, but definitely don't get it if you love hip hop. There are only two good stations for that and about 70% of the time it is just the hosts talking.

• 2 weeks later...
dh got xm with his car 5 years ago. every october, i call on the last day of his subscription and very nicely tell them that he loves xm but i think it's unnecessary and unless they can honor the same price, including taxes, i'll cancel it. sometimes they bump me to 3 or 4 people but it works.

Once again, if you are willing to spend the time being transferred and not in a hurry it works there too. Hubby got ours lowered, added extra receivers since we have two houses all for a great price. He spent several evenings on the phone and kept talking and being nice and explaining that you don't want to switch they WILL eventually listen.