Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Laptop screen is "sideways"

9 replies to this topic

#1 vicloo  OFFLINE  

vicloo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 19, 2010 - 6:41 am

My daughter was using her Compaq Presario laptop when the screen view turned 90 degrees to the side. Anyone have any suggestions? The cursor is not working properly and can't seem to get past the sign in page. :confused:

#2 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,983 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 19, 2010 - 8:58 am

Interesting... I'm not sure what could cause that. It could be a driver issue, or it could be a prank that someone has played. Try booting in to safe mode and see what happens. Turn the computer off completely. Turn the computer on and press F8 repeatedly A menu should come up Select "Safe Mode" and hit enter See if the computer boots properly there.

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 19, 2010 - 10:20 am

Certain video card driver apps have shortcut keys that are enabled by default. For instance, I accidentally discovered at a former employer that if you hit <ctrl><alt> and any of the arrow keys (while you were logged in to a computer - it wouldn't work from the login screen) it would re-orient the screen in the direction chosen by the arrow. So if you chose, down, it would flip the screen upside down. It quickly became a popular past-time to find computers whose users had stepped away to grab something from the printer or something and flip their screen. ....IT got tired of it quickly enough though and disabled the shortcuts...:rolleyes: If I remember correctly, they were Matrox video cards... <ctrl><alt><up arrow> would set things right in this instance. ... the more I think about it, maybe it was <ctrl><shift>...

Edited by Pnambic, Jan 22, 2010 - 6:03 am.

#4 1angelnhvn  OFFLINE  

1angelnhvn

Shopoholic

• 1,385 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 19, 2010 - 11:43 am

We had that happen to us once and called the help number that came with our computer and it was as simple as pressing a combination of certain keys. WIERD! Can't even recall what keys it was we pressed to get it back but it was an easy fix if it's the same thing.....

#5 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,983 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 19, 2010 - 3:38 pm

Certain video card driver apps have shortcut keys that are enabled by default. For instance, I accidentally discovered at a former employer that if you hit <ctrl><alt> and any of the arrow keys (while you were logged in to a computer - it wouldn't work from the login screen) it would re-orient the screen in the direction chosen by the arrow. So if you chose, down, it would flip the screen upside down. It quickly became a popular past-time to find computers whose users had stepped away to grab something from the printer or something and flip their screen.

....IT got tired of it quickly enough though and disabled the shortcuts...:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, they were Matrox video cards...

<ctrl><alt><down arrow> would set things right in this instance.

... the more I think about it, maybe it was <ctrl><shift>...

We had that happen to us once and called the help number that came with our computer and it was as simple as pressing a combination of certain keys. WIERD! Can't even recall what keys it was we pressed to get it back but it was an easy fix if it's the same thing.....

This is where I was going as well...

It shouldn't happen in safe mode, because the drivers don't load...

#6 ryejay98  OFFLINE  

ryejay98

• 3,178 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 20, 2010 - 3:25 am

For instance, I accidentally discovered at a former employer that if you hit <ctrl><alt> and any of the arrow keys (while you were logged in to a computer - it wouldn't work from the login screen) it would re-orient the screen in the direction chosen by the arrow.

I do that to my employees all the time if they forget to lock their PC ;p

#7 vicloo  OFFLINE  

vicloo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 20, 2010 - 6:47 am

Thanks for all the advice. Will give it a try.

#8 artesian  OFFLINE  

artesian

Do or do not there is no try

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 20, 2010 - 6:51 am

I do that to my employees all the time if they forget to lock their PC ;p

I got a new trick for punishment!

#9 jeninpa  OFFLINE  

jeninpa

Mama to 4

• 7,248 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 20, 2010 - 3:49 pm

So tempting to try this.....mine would probably get stuck or something,lol.
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." - Tinkerbell

#10 vicloo  OFFLINE  

vicloo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 21, 2010 - 7:12 am

Thanks. It worked and all is well again, for a while anyway........:)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users